Marriage Visa

Hi - can anyone tell me whether you apply for a marriage visa with your maiden or married name? I will be changing my surname but will only change my passport next year when going back home.


  • helenwileshelenwiles Posts: 215
    hi crazy daisy

    not sure about a visa but i have just sorted out a new passport and had to apply for it using my new married name which felt a bit strange xx
  • HarrietPenguinHarrietPenguin Posts: 5,848
    I was wondering about my passport - do I have to change it to go on honeymoon? How do I do that if so - we're not married yet and therefore have no documents...

    Can I leave it til after the honeymoon even though my name will have changed...

    it's all so confusing!
  • i got new business cards with my 'new' surname not even married yet but they wanted to save money. That feels and look strange to me!

    Penguin- All i know about travelling is make sure that the tickets you booked have the same surname as your passport. Not all airlines accept a marriage certificate as proof anymore.
  • You don't have to change passport before you go - I can't as I need my passport to travel prior to wedding. When you get the new passport it cancels your old one so don't change it if you may need to use it a month or so before your wedding.

    Some countries do give visas on postdated passports, some don't.

    I think you can only have about 9 months "added" to your new passport even if your existing one has the full 10 years left. Plus biometric passports are coming out soon (ish) which you will need within the next few years to travel to/via the USA.

    So unless you really need/want your passport in your married name for your honeymoon I'd leave it as is.

  • crazy-daisy: Best is to contact the embassy/visa office up in London directly. You won't be the first or last person to ask this question, so they must have a standard answer for you

    Good Luck X
Sign In or Register to comment.