Forum home You & Your Baby

Contraception

Hi Girls,

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this post - but can't think where else to get some first hand advice!

I'm thinking of coming off the pill and using the Persona Kit. It's the one that basically takes a urine sample X amount of times a month and then lets you know when it's safe to have sex. It's supposed to be 96% effective, which as a newly wed sounds good.

We're not looking to start a family now, but it wouldn't be terrible if I did fall pregnant.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had ever used the Persona kit and if so, did it work for them?

Thanks!

• Hi lovelygirl,

I am in a similar situation to you. I have literally taken my last pill (microgynon 30) on Thursday to get my body into a proper natural cycle to prepare to start trying for a baby in the next 3-6 months or so.

Me and h2b were going to use the withdrawl method (hate condoms!) until I am in a normal cycle which I know can take time.

If I did get pregnant it would be ok but I am interested in any posts about you question on a Persona Kit? Never heard of this before but if its 96% effective then hell - I'll be giving it a go! lol

I shall follow this post closely! Thanks Sarah x
  • Hi Sarah,

We're in the same boat then!

From what I can understand, it tells you when you are most fertile - which is useful when you don't want to get pregnant and helpful when you do!

I've re-read the blurb about it, and when used properly it's 94% effective, not 96% as I prevously thought. It's sounds good though. Almost too good to be true, which is why I wondered if any one else had used it.

I'll keep doing some more home work for us!

• SuramaSurama Posts: 19
    Hi lovelygirl - I used a persona way back when they first came out and it was great. Well, it worked! No babies when I didn't want them and 3 when I didimage

One thing to warn you about is that it errs on the side of caution and while it is 'learning' your cycle it'll give you a lot of red days (when you shouldn't have unprotected sex).

Gets a big thumbs up from me though.
  • Oh that's excellent news, thanks for that and the word of warning Surama, I think I might give it a go! What a brilliant forum this is.
  • Yeah thanks Surama!

Any ideas on the price?
  • Coco-25Coco-25 Posts: 1,105
    Hi, I have just bought Persona online - it is 65 pounds. Seems to make perfect sense for me - it wouldn't be unwelcome if we did pregnant, but we're hoping to wait a few months. Also, like you MissMartin, hate condoms!

• Thanks Coco25! These forums are excellent... there is always someone in a similar position to you and its nice to share advise.

Good Luck everyone with their wedding/baby plans lol x
    Isn't it so exciting thinking about all these things?! Thought getting engaged was exciting, let alone wedding planning, and now I can't stop thinking about babies! WIshing my life away lol... xx
  • Tell me about it... Very very exciting though. My gut feeling at the moment (well the last few hours!) is to let nature take its course. I've just come off the pill and figure rather than strategically 'trying' (ovulation testing/fertility calanders etc) we should just have some fun trying and see what happens?!

You see my thinking is if we wait for 3-6 months it could take a while? But then it could happen next week!

The only real reason really to wait 3 months is to get my cycles regular again after the pill so that the doc can date the pregancy but I figure they can do it from a scan? Also it gives me more time to take my folic acid supplements?

I dont know.....??? !!!x x x
    That is a dilemma! But you have nothing to lose! I am so broody that I was trying to convince my h2b that we should start trying before the wedding, but then I realised that I have to stop wishing my life away! DOn't want to feel sick on wedding day, and definitely want to drink champagne so think we are going to wait... BUT, what if it takes forever to conceive?!!

When is your wedding? Would you have a bump for it?! x
  • Well... we are having a small wedding hopefully the end of July/beginning of August this year. (Im actually calling the registry office tomorrow morning for dates!) So if I got pregnant next month id be 3 to 4 monthes right? I'm quite tall so i think I might get away with a small bump. Would not mind not drinking but yeah the sickness thing a point but id imagine it would have passed by then. Hmmm

The other issue I did not mention is that my fiance works away for 4 weeks then is home for 4 weeks so we have limited time ttc. He is due back a week on Wednesday which is actually around the 13th day of my cycle which from what I hear is a perfect time? lolimage Could be fate if it happens then hey?

Dont you go wishing your life away! Live everyday as it comes and what will be will be. When is your big day? x
    Wedding's August 16th, and although fairly small, it is in a Catholic church so don't think a baby bump would go down too well there!!

Well, good luck whatever you decide and keep in touch about your wedding and baby plans!! xx
  • l will thanks for the advise! Its easier talking anonymously and its like a little secret lol Good luck with everything x x x
  • Sorry 'Lovelygirl', Slightly sidetracked your original post!

Apologies! x x x
  • lush224lush224 Posts: 562 New bride
    Hi I used the persona monitor for 18 months and never got caught. I stopped using it about a year ago because I kept forgetting to buy the testing sticks. Me and hubbie have been using withdrawal the last year.

The persona monitor is good because after a couple of months I knew the exact length of my cycle and the day of ovulation. So I still use the monitor now without the testing sticks and know that my cycle is 32 days long and I always ovulate at day 19. So it has been handy to know that now without buying the sticks.

Saying that I am now 11 days late on my period using withdrawal but have done 3 preg tests including one yesterday and all negative! So not sure what has thrown out my cycle when I have been so regular in the last few years
  • Hi Girls,

Thanks for all the replies - and don't worry about the tanget, I quite understand!

It's entrirely personal, but I just thought I'd add, that I got married in December and I'm so glad I wasn't pregnant. There was a lot stress in the run up to the big day, so it was really good to be able to let my hair down on the wedding day & our honeymoon.

I'd like to enjoy married life for a bit before we have sprogs, but every one is different of course.

Lush: thanks so much for the post, I think I'll buy one on line and start using it. I'll let you know how it goes! If nothing else, I think it's helpful to know what my cycle is.

Good luck with the wedding planning - it's stressful but I never thought I'd miss it so much!

xx