Stress related eczema

As the title says, when I get stressed I get horrible red itchy patches on my arms, legs, face & any other part of my body that has decided to be cruel to me on that day.

Now the wedding is not far off, and I am very stressed about that. I'm also very stressed as I am moving country in the next 2 weeks, I'm worried about my cats not getting back to the UK safely, worried about unpacking everything only a couple of weeks before the wedding & am turning into a big red stressmonster.

I don't know what to do, when I picked my dress my skin was lovely & it's a halterneck which leaves the worst part of my skin exposed. Does anybody know what I can do to stop it? I'm rubbing in as much cream as I can 4 or 5 times a day but I know it's just the stress that is triggering it & that the creams won't work until I destress which at this rate will be 2010!!

• I have had eczema all my life and the only cure I've found, completly by accident I might add, is sunbeds!

I foolishly bought a white wedding dress because it looked amazing when i came back from the Caribbean with my tan and everything so I;ve had to keep said tan up by doing a few minutes each week on a sunbed. Has cleared my exceza up a treat, though I don't know how I am going to wean myself off them after the wedding!
  • I suffer from the exact same, and it is definately stress that causes it.

To relieve the itching I use Eurax (from superdrug) and then a cream prescribed by doctors. if you dont have time to get to the doctors ask the pharmacy for diprobase, but obviously consult then first but that's what I use. I also find that when I go to the gym, swim and then have a 5 - 10 minutes in the steam room that my skin feels and looks a hell of a lot better....

For daily creams, I use to use E45 but I've actually found that the Nivea Cream on my face and neck and them the lotion on body actually works better...

hopefully something will make it better but I know how you feel, it's horrible....

• Have you thought about trying relaxation type techniques to treat your stress? Could help the eczema from that angle too? Just a short burst each evening might really help? How about every so often (budget permitting!) allowing yourself a relaxing treat, like a facial or body massage? the body massage could also help the ezcema because of all the oils?

wow, moving country, are you moving to the UK? where are you from? which part of the UK are you moving to?

Good luck!

xxx
  • Aha! from Wikipedia (for those of you that don't fancy the skin cancer risk!) - light therapy! Not sure if you can get it on the NHS yet though....

Light therapy

Light therapy using ultraviolet light can help control eczema. UVA is mostly used, but UVB and Narrow Band UVB are also used. Ultraviolet light exposure carries its own risks, particularly potential skin cancer from exposure, although there is no conclusive evidence of this.

When light therapy alone is found to be ineffective, the treatment is performed with the application (or ingestion) of a substance called psoralen. This PUVA (Psoralen + UVA) combination therapy is termed photo-chemotherapy. Psoralens make the skin more sensitive to UV light, thus allowing lower doses of UVA to be used. However, the increased sensitivity to UV light also puts the patient at greater risk for skin cancer.

• Quoted:
    Have you thought about trying relaxation type techniques to treat your stress? Could help the eczema from that angle too? Just a short burst each evening might really help? How about every so often (budget permitting!) allowing yourself a relaxing treat, like a facial or body massage? the body massage could also help the ezcema because of all the oils?

wow, moving country, are you moving to the UK? where are you from? which part of the UK are you moving to?

Good luck!

xxx

Nooooooooooo do not do the massage or facial route! If you are anything like me the perfumes and lanolin in the oils and pastes will make your eczema flare up worse than ever!!!

My skin is crap though. Even olive oil causes mine to flare up!
  • sjb71sjb71 Posts: 135
    I have eczema and the doctor prescribe Hydrocortisone 1%, you can buy this over the counter, i paid 2.99 at lloyds pharmacy. I have suffered with this at stressful times and the cream always works x
  • Ive just come out in the same thing, and i havent had excema since i was about 7! Luckily its only on my knees at the moment, i use hyrocortisone cream which helps dry it up but like you i havent found anything that will stop the itch so it will go completely. Hope you find something to help xx
  • AbFab22AbFab22 Posts: 880
    Also look into your diet. Certain foods may exacerbate eczema in some people, e.g. dairy.
  • abfab22 you're right there, apparently oranges or orange juice isnt too good either, I'm not sure though, dont like oranges.

something to try and increase comfort would be to avoid really tight clothes, try a material that allows your skin to breath. also if you're using biological washing powder, switch to non-bio

xx
  • aseaukaseauk Posts: 74
    Wow! Thanks for all of the replies, it's reassuring that other people are going through the same thing & could help!

I'm already using cortisone cream but if I use it for too long my skin gets really thin & I've been told not to use it all of the time by my GP. I've started to use Doublebase instead of aqueous cream which is much better I think & use linseed oil in the bath.

Will try & relax more (if I can!).

Am moving back from Milan to London. Perhaps my Italian cheese addiction has also contributed to this, will try my best to cut down but I've always been addicted to cheese so doubt it is that!

I'm a bit scared of using sunbeds as my Mum has had minor skin cancer but if all else fails I'm sure one or two before the wedding won't kill me (well it'll probably do less harm than the stress of awful bleeding skin!)

Thanks again for all the advice! x
  • AbFab22AbFab22 Posts: 880
    "While not all foods will cause flare-ups for all people, and not all foods will cause the same reaction, there are some foods that are commonly known for causing problems for people with eczema. These foods, or flare-up triggers, include dairy products (especially cow's milk), wheat, yeast, eggs, nuts and fish (especially shellfish). "

You should give up cheese for a while, and see if it makes a difference. Worth it for your wedding, I am sure. I'd avoid the sunbeds if you can.

Metanium nappy rash ointment is good for skin conditions such as eczema too.

N.B. I am not a doctor!
  • This may sound strange but has anyone had this down below!! Sorry
  • oooo no but it sounds really really uncomfortable!

• no but I've had it up my nose!

I was going to say aqueous cream but see you've already tried that.

The day I stopped using any kind of soap, toner, facial scrub, face masks etc my eczema got tons better. Now I just use aqueous cream to wash with and then to moisturise. It doesn't smell great but i look a lot better.

Have you tried any vitamin supplaments? I've heard omega 3 might help.
  • mercedesuk1mercedesuk1 Posts: 2,814
    I get a cream called betamethasone valerate it a topical corticosteroid, I apply ot to my arms and in the morning, the rash has gone.
  • Someone on here suggests light therapy. I can confirm that it is available on the NHS - both my H2B and my dad have psoriasis and received light therapy for this on the NHS - it gives amazing results - plus a nice tan - perfect! There is the obvious skin cancer risk but its closely monitored by the nurses who administer the treatment and any moles have to be covered by sun block to minimise risk. The only thing is I'm not sure if you can get it for ezxma on the NHS. Its worth asking though. Failing that there are sun beds but I would think that is more dangerous than light therapy.
  • Valentina-Valentina- Posts: 2

I have eczema and have had recent flair ups. I bought foderma serum hoping that it would work for my new baby incase he has what I have. Man it hasn't disappointed! Yes it is expensive but it works like crazy good. Better than the prescription that my skin doctor perscribed. It has both my health and my son's skin saves literally. Infant son sleeps at night not crying about his face or butt itching.

• KendraKendra Posts: 5 New bride
    Thanks for the tips and recommendations here. By the way, is there anyone who tried to deal with stress using different CBD products? I read about edibles CBD and oils https://greenshoppers.co.uk/blog/cbd-edibles-vs-cbd-oil-whats-the-difference/. I want to try them but before that, I need to find out what others experienced.