Anyone know anything about social services and schools

Basically, without going into too much detail, a couple of children I know are "known" by social services, ie, they have been reported to them.

They are not allowed to see a close family member of theirs without been supervised.

Last week, this relative rang their school and asked if they could collect the children. and the school allowed it.

Are they actually allowed to do this?

Would they then report it back to social services?

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    The school shouldn't have allowed it, at least without contacting the social worker responsible for the children. There is a teacher at the school responsible for child protection and they should be aware of the children and should have been spoken to
  • Becky85ukBecky85uk Posts: 434
    No the school is most certianly not allowed to do this, and the social workers should have informed the school about everything.

Sounds to me like there has been a big mistake somewhere
  • VelvetishVelvetish Posts: 266

No, that is definately out of order.

Do you know if the head or class teacher was informed or was it just the school secretary?

I had something similar on placement, when i sent my kids home for the day I was not to let a boy's father take him, didn't stop him showing up one day though. image
  • NowDebbieRNowDebbieR Posts: 306
    I don't know much about this subject but I know that if I want to pick up my niece from school her parents have to inform the school in person and in advance and I believe I would have to provide proof of who I am too. None of us are involved with social services or anything, this is just their procedure on other people collecting the children. I think this is discraceful and if I was the children's carer I would be kicking up one hell of a fuss now!
  • I am amazed that the school has allowed this. The procedures for collecting children are really tight. How old are they? Did the school actually let this person take the children or was it just a passing agreement on the telephone? I'm just curious as to how they managed to collect the children without their parent/ guardian knowing. I am in a special school now so all of ours are bussed in by taxi. When I was in mainstream we hand delivered each child to their parent up until the age of 11. Some of the older children walked home on their own but we had to have consent in writing. Thats how strict it was there!! xx

• MrsHunt110611MrsHunt110611 Posts: 1,992
    Hello,

I used to work in social services, and although the children are 'known' to social services, unless they are subject to a child protection plan, there would be no legal rule that this person could not pick them up. There may well be a recommendation, but as someone above has said, not all employees of the school would be aware of this, and a secretary or something could have made a mistake. In relation to what would happen next, the mother of the parent (or whoever their guardian is who does not want this contact to take place) would complain to the school, who would have to inform social services of the mess up, or they would complain directly to social services. Social services would then have to review the situation to see if further levels of protection need to be in place.

hope that helps x
  • cath7673cath7673 Posts: 195 New bride
    if the school were informed about this then they should not have let them be taken. normal routine is for photograph and name of pupil to be placed in position in office where all staff can see it and all staff to have memo regarding the issue that way everyone knows even new staff.