Forum home Emotional support

Am I overreacting?

So it was my birthday yesterday. I was soooo dissapointed that only one of my friends bothered to send me a card. I have 2 best friends and a small group of very close friends. One best friend who is a bridesmaid moved to Cornwall last year and sent me a card and the most beautiful thoughtful present (which I didn't expect) but my other best friend who is a bridesmaid didn't even send me a card. Neither did any of my other friends. I know this sounds silly and probably childish but I am quite hurt because I always make such a big effort making sure they always get a card. That's all I expected....a card!! Am I overreacting?

• Also forgot to mention....we all live within a 15 minute drive of each other as well.
  • Malb2b13Malb2b13 Posts: 679

my honest opinion and i dont mean this to cause offence at all is that its really not worth worrying about. people have busy lives and while its lovely when people do do things for your birthday its really easy to forget. do you have your birth date on facebook so that it comes up as a reminder? I havent and i dont like to arrange a birthday event so quite a few of mine forgot last year.

• I am same as you hun Im known for being very good on the gift front, it's not that I spend alot but I put alot of thought into people's gifts so sometimes it hurts wen people don't make the effort with mine. It's our own fault for being so good at it we put everyone else to shame lol x
  • I would be the same as you, it doesn't take much to just take five minutes out of your day and send a card, or even a text or email, just anything to let you know happy birthday
  • I would feel exactly the same, I have been in this position before with my friends! I also put a lot of thought into gifts and making people feel special.  Try not to think to much on it though, this is something I am working on image x

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058
    FutureMrsAlderson wrote (see)

I would feel exactly the same, I have been in this position before with my friends! I also put a lot of thought into gifts and making people feel special.  Try not to think too much on it though, this is something I am working on image x

Ditto!

One of my best friends (who is also a bridesmaid) forgot my birthday last week!  To be fair, she is going through a really tough time and I didn't expect her to remember...........that said, she always forgets!  It's nothing personal, just the way she is I guess; it is quite annoying when I never forget hers or the birthdays of her two children image xx

• I totaly agree with you, I was quite upset that a few people who I consider really important to me and H2B didnt get us an engagement card, especially when they'd been over to ours and saw all the lovely cards we did have, and then still didnt send one! I think it's definitely a matter of opinion though, and H2B thinks I'm silly for being upset about it. Some people just dont seem think cards really matter, so I'm trying not to take it personally! x

• I would be hun

I'm still annoyed at our so called close friends couldn't make the effort to drop H2B birthday present over and only gave us a card for Christmas and a tin of chocs when we had spent a fortune on them and drove it all to them and yet they've left h2b birthday card with someone else as they can't make the effort to get it to him (his birthday was January!)

I would feel exactly the same as you tbh as its just downright lazy and quite rude to ignore a friends birthday even if it was only just a card it shows effort and thought about your friend
  • Next time their other birthdays come round, buy them a birthday book each and put your birthday in it!  he he! 

• Thanks for all your advice girls. I really thought I was being silly but I'm so glad that a lot of you agree with me. I've invited them all round for dinner tonight. I may mention it then...I suppose if they're my true friends they'll understand. X
  • RinaGeeRinaGee Posts: 751

Did they even acknowledge your birthday (phone call, text, FB message etc.....) if they did, then I maybe wouldn't be too annoyed at them. Life gets in the way sometimes, I know I've been guilty of forgetting friends birthdays in the past and it really is with no malice or bad intention behind it