Forum home Emotional support

Having a down day :(

Having a proper down day today image So fed up of my weight...feel like I have tried everything! Have done 'healthy eating', slimming world, weight watchers, Dukan diet, slimming tablets, been reffered to weight management groups by drs and nothing works image I lost 2 and half on weight watchers then got stuck at a particular weight then when they changed the plan I was gradually putting on atleast a pound each week then when I stopped the diet completely I put on 3 and half stone. When I done the Dukan diet and used slimming pills I lost just under 3 stone but then put near enough 4 back on. I keep returning to my drs and they keep saying just healthy eat! She also says that i am about 5 stone over weight so the weight should just fall off if i was to healthy eat! but i can tell you for sure if does not just fall off!! It makes me so mad because in my eyes I really do healthy eat...I try so hard and watch other people eat what they want and not put n anything! I had blood tests last year and they came back fine but because I keep going back and moaning they are doing more on me this Friday...sounds do horrible but would rather something wrong which then I may be able to get medication to help me control my weight a bit more easily. I do exercise- I go to boot camp atleast twice a week. And as I'm a nanny I am always outside going for walks, going to the zoo, swimming, chasing little one up and done play frames! Although we aren't getting married until 2015 I am getting so worried already that I am going to have all the extra weight which I really don't want image Anyone got any ideas as to what I can try next?

• shellbob73shellbob73 Posts: 3,152

I don't know what to suggest. If you're excercising & eating healthily then you should be losing weight. If you've had blood tests then I'm assuming you've been tested for an underactive thyroid? Have you had a good look at your diet for hidden nasties that might be working against you? I've read that the aspartame in diet sodas can hinder weight loss, for instance.

I've also hit a bit of a stand still but I know thats down to my food habits sliding (chocolate addict).

• PopsyxxPopsyxx Posts: 1,009
    Yup been tested for everything that can relate to weight gain! But will be having them re done on Friday to see if anything comes up now.

One of the program's I done I had to write Down everything I ate and drank. When I showed it to the leader she even got someone else to look at it as they just couldn't understand where anything was going wrong?!

I tend to write everything down anyway just for my own records as so I can see but everything is mostly home cooked and fresh food!xx
  • NowMrsB2012NowMrsB2012 Posts: 4,835

It sounds silly but have you tried writing down everything you eat? Then you can analyse it and try and cut out certain foods and see if that helps.

Edit- posted at the same time, ignore my suggestion image

Yup image xxx
  • NowMrsB2012NowMrsB2012 Posts: 4,835

Have you been tested for polycystic ovaries? That can stop you losing weight.

I really don't know then, maybe you should be referred to someone - who, I've no idea.

• Sorry to hear you're down in the dumps image you've got lots of time, you can shift the weight no problem in two years! If you're struggling though it's bound to get you down.

I know this is a little controversial and many will probably shout at me but have you considered LighterLife? It's very extreme, expensive and should only really be undertaken as a very last resort, but it  definitely works. It helped me to get rid of the lions share of my weight and now I am losing the last stone or so in a healthy way, hitting the gym etc. It's hard to keep the weight off and it does have it's negatives but I get on with it well. I don't know how much you need to lose, you may not even be eligible, this is assuming you have several stone to lose.

It's not right for everyone but it is an option. Aside from this though - You will look beautiful in your wedding photos no matter what size you are xx

No mrsb...what is it?

I asked my dr about hypnosis but they said the nhs won't refer people for it anymore and I asked around and the cheapest I got quoted for was atleast ??400! Which whilst saving for the wedding I can't really afford.

I did think about lightleelife or that Jenny something diet but again it's money that I can't afford image

Thanks emileee I know I'll find the perfect dress and get one that suits me but I just no on the inside ill be kicking myself at my size and I'd prob not want to look at my pictures image xxx
  • You know you can lose weight because you've done it before! Weight watchers and dukan had really dramatic results for you- 3 stone is a hell of a lot!!! It is disheartening when you put it back on again though. I put on a stone after getting engaged and have managed to lose it again, but it just puts me back at the weight I was before when I wanted to be slimmer before!!!

What kinds of things are you eating? Could you be thinking it's healthy when it's not that healthy? My H2B is always using loads of olive oil and wine and stocks in cooking when they just pile on the calories. Could your portion size be out of control? Have you tried with a smaller plate? I spent most of last year doing bootcamps 2-3 times a week and felt fitter but was amazed that I managed to not lose any weight through it, and it was only once I started dieting properly in October I saw a difference. It is difficult when you think you are being healthy so it's like the grand majority of the food you eat is "free" in WW or Slimming World, but calorie counting and portion control are really important, and if you restrict calorie intake then you learn which foods are really calorie dense and which are much lighter.

Good luck! You have plenty of time and you've lost weight before but this is for your wedding so hopefully you're even more motivated!

xxxx

• Also sometimes weight-loss hyponosis comes up on groupon etc. I'll keep an eye out for you!

• Hi Soph

Sorry to hear you are feeling down. As others have said, you can do it as you've done it before - so try not to be discouraged even though it must be so hard when you are doing so much and feeling like right now you're not getting far.

I would suggest my fitness pal as it's such a good "food diary" and you can track exercise. I know 70% or whatever of weight loss is diet related but exercise is such a good booster and it can transform your body shape even if you don't lose weight.

Don't give up hope, keep persevering with the medics if you think they are missing something, but maybe just try MFP for a month sticking to a calorie limit each day and trying to have 3* sessions of exercise a week and see where it gets you?

Good luck x

• Hiya, I can really sympathise, I am in the same boat, I need to also lose around 5 stone and the weight does not just drop off!  I have always exercised and consider myself a healthy eater, although I do have the odd night where we scoff too much crisps or chocolate but dont drink much and dont eat rubbish every day.  Ive joined weight watchers (tried it about 3 times before with varied success) one thing that struck me is that my portions were previously too big, maybe that could be something to consider?  Otherwise, Im not sure, good luck though xx

• Tofu Jen, I did exactly the same, I gained over 1stone since I got engaged, ive lost 9lbs since but have 13lbs to go to be the weight I was when I ordered my dress, and only 1month and 15 days to go eeek! x

I agree with tofu jen.

What sort of excercise do you do? Enough cardio & resistance? Muscle burns fat, so are you doing enough weights etc to build muscle?

It might be worth seeing if you can talk to a trainer & a dietician. They might have some ideas about what it going on in your body.

I would also agree with the portion control aspect. For the last year I have been eating off side plates & basically halving what I have. Since I was at my heaviest (at the end of my pregnancy with my son in Nov 2011) I've lost nearly 4 & a half stone. This has slipped somewhat in the last few months & I can tell! I've not put any major weight back on but I fluctuate 5-6lbs & seem stuck at a certain weight. I'm back on portion control now & have cut out sugary things (my weakness) so we'll see how I do at my next weigh-in.

I think that if you're doing all the things you should be doing & still not losing then you need to push for some sort of consultant.

• nicolajane82 wrote (see)

Tofu Jen, I did exactly the same, I gained over 1stone since I got engaged, ive lost 9lbs since but have 13lbs to go to be the weight I was when I ordered my dress, and only 1month and 15 days to go eeek! x

Good luck! A lot of brides seem to manage to lose a lot with the pressure of the wedding making them really put their minds to it, and on the day I bet you won't careimage I have 3 months to go and want to lose another stone to be lighter than I've been since I met H2B! My boobs have really suffered though- 3" off my bust since October! xx

• Hi

I lost 2 1/2 stone with weight watchers before my wedding in a year and nearly 2 stone of that was in the last 6 months so you have plenty of time to lose. I would recommend going back to weight watchers as I thought it was a really good healthy eating and lifestyle plan. However I know it isn't for everyone as nothing is banned so you could eat just chocolate if you wanted, not exactly healthy.

One thing I would say that is great for weight loss is writing down what you eat.

By this I mean writing down everything you have eaten as you eat it, don't leave it til the end of the day as you forget a lot of the things you've eaten including drinks and you need to include the portion size as well.

Keep an eye on food labels as they do sneaky things like putting half a packet contains 200 calories so its easy to think you've only eaten 200 when its 400 for the whole packet.

I also loved having little goals along the way to keep you motivated i.e I've lost half a stone or those jean fit again and maybe reward yourself with a (non food) treat.

Also I think that fad diets that resrict your diet too much are nonsense. Do it a little at a time and you will keep the weight off in the long term. Keep at it and don't let having a bad week put you off.

Good luck xxx

Thanks for ur advice everyone! I wouldn't say portions are huge do normally try to bulk out more on veg but deffo going to try the smaller plate to see if that does make a difference!

I also worry if I loose weight now it will all be back on by 2015 lol!

Feeling a bit happier now after posting on here and getting all your advice and ideas. When your down it really does feel like it only happens to you!!xxx
  • ChazzytChazzyt Posts: 918
    Hi sophx

Glad to hear your a bit more positive now image I also think going back to ww would be a good idea, as it worked for you before. Then hopefully you can loose & maintain it!

I think most important thing is, is dont panic as you have plenty of time. But start doing something about it now so your not in same situation next yr image xx
  • tofu_jen wrote (see)
    nicolajane82 wrote (see)

Tofu Jen, I did exactly the same, I gained over 1stone since I got engaged, ive lost 9lbs since but have 13lbs to go to be the weight I was when I ordered my dress, and only 1month and 15 days to go eeek! x

Good luck! A lot of brides seem to manage to lose a lot with the pressure of the wedding making them really put their minds to it, and on the day I bet you won't careimage I have 3 months to go and want to lose another stone to be lighter than I've been since I met H2B! My boobs have really suffered though- 3" off my bust since October! xx

Thank you, and to you too! Pressure unfortunately makes me eat which is why Ive gained I thinkimage, my brain is in gear now though and WW is working for me, I hope  dont care on the day, as long as I get rid of my double chin I will be happy!!  Im going to be embarassed needing my dress taken out though when I book my fitting, Ive been putting it off and Im worried ive left it too late now!  Oh no, thats not to good about your boobs though!!  x

Good luck Sophx, smaller plates sounds like a good idea, youve got plenty of time to get yourself into a good healthy routine without having huge pressure on yourself to lose quickly x

If you lose the weight quickly you stand more of a chance of putting it back on. 

You have the time to do this slow & steady. As I've said, I've been doing this for just over a year now & have not put any significant weight back on. I feel like for the first time in my life I've found the correct balance, & when I reach my goal weight I should be able to stick to it.

• Wife2b13Wife2b13 Posts: 166

I have been feeling sooo much like this for a while now and I agree when its you, you think you're the only one who struggles. 

I have been a member of SW for 3 years, lost over 2 stone and then since we got engaged (Dec 2011) I have gained another stone!!! 

Tried losing it, i still do SW and go to get weighed EVERY week. I dont have much time to stay for groups but I do when I am able. I got weighed last night and had gained 1lb. Considering what I had eaten this week (several meals out!) I wasnt surprised and honestly thought it would have been more. 

I have 12 weeks until my final dress fitting and want to lose 16lb.....not undo-able but still hard, however I know SW works for me if I am strict with myself! This is my plan at every god given opportunity. I am also eating smaller portions. And I will start running again next week (half term this week and on nights!). I really hope I can get to my target weight by the wedding. Im sure you will do it, you have lots of time on your side! XXX

Thanks everyone image xxx
  • Hi soph you sound like me hun

I was constantly active working with kids but I wasn't losing weight

I did slimming world for 18 months and lost 1st and when I finished I gained it back

It took me a long time to lose that and the frustration of gaining it( while still eating the slimming world diet) hit me hard

I realised it just didn't work for my body type

Have you tried using the my fitness pal app? It's free and honestly working for me

It's based on your starting weight your job etc and its taken me 5 weeks to lose half a stone!

That's on a calorie count of 1200 a day with 2-3 gym sessions a week and a personal training session a week but even if you could only do the diet it would be worth giving it a try
    No I haven't tried that!! Will give it a go though!! Willing to try anything!! Thanks xxx
  • Hello I read your first post about the different things you have done. The thing is they are all different things, you have not stuck at one and persevered!

I have done WW and the new one made me put on weight too. The excuse of the leader was I do not have much to lose anymore and so maybe it is me. SW I am on now and yes it is slow but I am almost at target. I could've given up, but I didn't. If I had I would've put weit back on. I know these food plans work. I used to be short of 15st and now 11st and want to get into the 10st bracket.

I still write everything down, even when I am bad. It makes me see and visualise what. Have eaten, good and bad. It makes you really come to terms with what has passed your lips.

I'm starting exercise this week again as I sacked it off for the past four months but know with the wedding coming up it needs to be done.

I do wish you well, clearly the diet pills and these faddy diets are not working as you're piling weight on and more on top. 3 meals a day, healthy snacks and the occasional treat. You WILL have blips and you'll have amazing losses.

Don't aim to Lose it too quickly. You need time to get your head into a new healthy living life not 3 months 4st is shed. How're you into a new way of life in 3 months when you've had a life time of bad habits.

I still struggle now but I have my 'fat' photo to keep me motivated and a wedding dress too. If you don't have a 'fat' photo get one.

I do hope I haven't offended you but with things like this I do not see the point in beating round the bush xx