I have a problem that I cannot see a solution for and would like some advice on. My best friend is getting married a month before me, although her date was not set when I booked my wedding.
She has now decided she will be getting married abroad, in a beautiful resort in Mexico. It all sounds amazing, although she is expecting me and my h2b to attend at a cost of just over £2.5k (plus extras for taxis and activites etc).
There are many reasons for not going, the main being that we just cannot afford it! We have saved every last penny of our £8k budget over the last couple of years, and are incredibly proud of that. We are literally saving everything we can, and cannot stretch our budget any further to pay towards theirs.
Another of the reasons is the holiday. We would both have to take over a week's holiday days to attend, then the month after another week or so for our prep and wedding, and we then do not have enough days left for our own honeymoon, so we have postponed this for a year so we can accrue more holiday.
I have explained the above reasons to my friend several times, and shown her what we are saving. I cannot take £2.5k out of my budget at this late stage, or change the date at all as we had already booked the venue and the majority of our suppliers before they chose their date.
My friend's solution is to get a credit card, or borrow the money directly from them, but I am so uneasy borrowing money for this, when we are not borrowing for our own day! We will then have to start our married life in debt, which is not what we wanted at all.
When I suggested that I wouldn't go, she got very hurt and said she'd be devastated if I wasn't there, and said that I didn't care as much. Obviously I do and it will break my heart to not see my best friend get married, but the financial implications to us are huge.
Should I borrow the money, or should I just not go? I am so torn, and I am not looking forward to my wedding, knowing hers is just before.