Original birth records...

Hello all

I gave notice today (yay!) but it brought up an issue I've grappled with a while. My birth on my birth certificate isn't registered until four years after I was actually born.

How do I find out my original birth details?

I don't want to go into details, but there are shady circumstances around my conception and early years. My dad died when I was a teenager, and I don't want to ask my mum right now as she's evaded the question in the past (said I was registered when my sister was born, but even then I'm registered a year after *her* birth). But it's my identity, and I want to know some answers.

It seems that my birth was 'reregistered', but I would really like to find the original record.

Any advice welcome - it's been long enough, I want to know what went on.

x

• The link says Wales but it is for England and Wales x

• amyeamye Posts: 168

Thank you Brideintheshire - I have a copy I just bought actually which is why I was reminded of the four years after birth issue - but Citizens Advice might be an idea of who to ask. I've read if you reregister a birth, then the reregistry is what will show on birth certs there on - but I wonder if my original, 1989 registry, might still be out there somewhere, with the original parental (ie paternal) name on. 

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

Hi hun image I think the first step would be to call the register office which issued the birth certificate you do have- they must hold a copy of your 'original' birth certificate or at least some details if your birth wasn't registered there when you were first born xx

Everything can be traced... this kind of thing is probably more common than you'd imagine, more often as a result of adoption though. My FIL was adopted (and only recently decided to track down his biological family) and there was a huge paper trail going back nearly 70 years! I'm sure you'll be able to get some answers xx 

Thanks Jodielou - sounds a good plan image xx

After an hour and a half I have found my original birth records using a free trial on Ancestry.co.uk  - in a bit of shock but would def recommend to anyone else in similar situation x

• Hope you are okay Amy, and it all works out how you wish, I was going to comment as my friend is a registrar and was going to ask her for you, but now you have found it I didn't want to read and run x

• Well done, that was impressive finding it already! Hope you have got the answers you were looking for x

Thanks Kimberly and BrideintheShire. I've found part of the answer - now I just need to know the whys. xx

• Good luck and take care xx

• Spam88Spam88 Posts: 1,001

Hope you're okay amye x

• MrsTaylorMrsTaylor Posts: 500

I hope you are okay! If you need to talk you can always PM me image xx

Thanks Spam88 and MrsTaylor2be, that's really kind. Waiting for an explanation from my mum on presenting her with the evidence. Hearing nothing from her yet. xx

• NowMrsH2014NowMrsH2014 Posts: 345

Well done amye, hope you're ok! again like others I'm here if you need to talk xx

• herstoryherstory Posts: 1,268

Hope you get the answers you are looking for, impressive work on finding your original birth record.

One of my grandparents and all their siblings were re-registered, basically their father had to claim them because children used to automatically be registered under the woman's husbands name even if they were no longer together, I know this was happening as recently as the 70's, as another family member is under their mothers first husband's name and not their actual fathers, and unlike my great grandfather he never bothered 'claiming' his daughters.

herstory, this seems like it's what has happened to me too. It seems I was 'claimed' in 1993. Weirdly my mother's being evasive and all I'm getting is "your dad's your dad". It's all a bit confusing tbh but thanks everyone xx

I bet it is, amye. I'm sure it's very difficult for your Mum but, at the end of the day, she has a duty to fill in the gaps for you. Maybe give her a bit of breathing space for now, and just say 'I know me confronting you like this has probably come as a bit of a shock, but I'm going to give you a few days to get your head straight and then I'd really like you to give me some answers. I need to know the full picture'. See where that gets you? Good luck xx

• herstoryherstory Posts: 1,268

If you want to order a copy of your birth certificate or it from here

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

it may not give you the answers your looking for but don't order it via any other service they will just charge you a fee and use the same site.

Maybe tell your mum you know your dad is your dad but if he is not your biological dad then you would like to know who is, after all their DNA makes up 50% of yours and it would be better if you knew about any potential medical issues they had/have. 

One of my uncles had 5 children by 3 women, I only knew about 2 until recently and one of them after their mother had died managed to track my family down and even though my uncle won't talk to them my parents provided them with as much of his medical history as possible so they have it.