Worried that no one will like my dress...

I finally decided on a wedding dress about 3 weeks ago, I chose a blush pink dress with ivory lace because white and ivory all over just washed me out and made my skin look patchy! I adore my dress, both my mum and I fell in love with it as soon as we walked in the shop, my mum normally is against different but this she said was perfect for me. I was so happy for the first week but then I started to speak to my friends about my dress. I'm not telling them any details about it, only that's it's a bit different.

I started watching their faces when I mentioned the word 'different' and could see the look of horror in their faces thinking i'll be walking out in a bright purple dress or something! At first I found it quite funny, knowing how lovely my dress is, but now I've started to worry, what if no one actually likes it?

For example, my friend was mentioning my wedding colours on the day where I said i'm having mainly mint green and cream with little hints of blush pink. She said blush pink won't go and she doesn't like it. This made me angry because I feel she should of just kept quiet on her opinions! Plus blush pink and mint green go gorgeously together because I've tried it and seen it done before! 

Next my aunt was talking about the chairs in the venue, I said they were a nasty pink colour mixed with yellow and I wanted to change the chairs and she said 'Oh not that horrible blush pink colour?!' I immediately wanted to cry!

Then a few days ago I was talking to my fiance trying to convince him to think about dark navy suits because it would go well with my dress. He then said, it's his choice and he will choose whatever he wants as he wants to surprise me & then went on to say "I hope your dress is white or I won't be happy!" I walked out of the room in tears so he must of known i'd gone for a different colour & he backtracked quickly and said he was only winding me up & that he's sure it looks lovely. Although a few hours later while deciding colours he said "Blush pink is too girly for our wedding!"

Feeling a bit upset about all the comments I keep getting, I know if they knew about my dress they wouldn't be saying all this but getting their opinions on it truthfully is hurting & making me worry that my fiance, bridesmaid or a guest will screw their nose up at my dress.

Is anyone else having worries about no one liking their dress even though they adore it? I don't think blush pink is THAT different, I think it's a beautiful colour! Just a bit concerned that someone will comment on it on the day and upset me really image

Feeling extremely emotional about the whole wedding over the past 2 days and feeling like I don't want to do any more plans at the moment because my great nan has just passed away aged 93, I was praying for her to be at our wedding & literally kicking myself that I didn't show her my wedding dress! Will this pass? I feel so bad for not showing her & wanting to keep it a surprise and now she'll never see it! She seemed so well & it was so sudden! I'm heartbroken and now starting to worry about my grandparents and whether I should give up the surprise & show them my dress because life is so unpredictable! Suddenly getting a spot on my wedding day seems like such a pointless worry.. I hope this heartache will pass! 

• Lou85Lou85 Posts: 1,824 New bride

Sorry you're so upset! So sorry about your great nan. How sad.

People can be so thoughtless - I think that blush pink is stunning. If its good enough for Jessica Biel, Gwen Stefani and Anne Hathaway then its good enough for anyone. I personally love it. I tried one on and it was almost 'the one'. Your fiancé will be so happy to see you he won't care what you're wearing!  Everyone will have their eyes on you and think you're stunning and the fact that its a bit different then so much the better. Which one is it?

Mint green and blush go fabulously, look at all the examples on pinterest. Your friend obviously has no eye for what looks good image I would just enjoy your planning and do what YOU want.

I know that planning can be stressful, especially with your recent loss. But you must try and ignore negativity and focus on your day and what makes you and your fiancé happy. Good luck! xx

• JCL1JCL1 Posts: 129

Mint and blush pink are a beautiful combination of colours. People will inevitably pipe in with their opinions without thinking about the effect it may have. If you love your wedding dress and your mum loves it then everyone else will love it too. Everyone has dress wobbles but stick with your instincts xx

• Hi babe, blush pink is beautiful, you wont please everyone, I'm having grey bridesmaids, people think it's drab, but I'm past caring what others think image Xx

• If the dress was horrible shops would not stock it! Your mum would have not told you how nice you looked! 

when people see you they will think you look amazing! Keep smiling. X

• Spam88Spam88 Posts: 1,001

I'm so sorry about your nan.  But 93?  Wow, she must have been quite a woman image  Please don't feel bad about not showing her your dress, all it means is you weren't giving up on her being there on your day.

Blush pink and mint green is a lovely combination.  And, as others have said, you only have to look at Pinterest to see that!  People have probably just got different shades in their head and can't picture what you mean image  It'll be beautiful, don't worry!

And as for your dress - you wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't perfect, so don't start doubting yourself now!  I know it must be difficult when people are coming out with these thoughtless comments, but I'm sure when they see the dress they won't think those things!  And I agree that blush pink isn't too different, it's not the bright purple you're OH may be fearing lol.

• MrsTaylorMrsTaylor Posts: 500

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about your great nan image It sounds like it was a huge shock for you, I'm really sorry for your loss.

Personally, I think pink blush sounds amazing! Remember, no one knows about your dress so they're making these comments, but they don't know what your dress is like. So have confidence in it, and remember how amazing you felt in it image x

• J14J14 Posts: 121

I think its very different trying to describe a dress and people actually seeing it in the flesh.  If you love it and your mom loves it im sure it is fab.  Curious actually as I saw a blush pink one from a designer I love and it looked lovely in the pics.  I was going to have something different in colour and got talked out of it but even now wondering if I shall regret it so go with your instincts I say.  You know in your heart you love it so thats the one for you.  I had a similar conversation with h2b as I now feel my dress is far too simple and I'm really worried that people have expectations of something amazing, I told him Im worried I will be the least glamorous person at the weding and he said  "I hope not" which didnt make me feel good I was hoping he'd say "of course not" !

Sorry to hear about your great nan, my nan was 97 when she died and it was still a shock as like yours she seemed fine, it makes no difference how old she was its still a great loss for the family. I have just had the most devastating weekend, the death of a close friend and have had to steer clear of my wedding information despite being very behind and only a few months to go as its far too upsetting.  You have to give yourself time to deal with the inital shock and grief, Im not sure how far away your wedding is but you need to take care of yourself first and foremost.  I know that regret is a terrible  emotion, Im feeling it myself at this very moment but it is true that time is a great healer. Despite my devastation I'm trying to focus on how im going to remember those who I have lost like my dad, nan and my lovely friend on my special day.  Do not dwell on the 'what ifs' about your dress, we never know what life is going to throw at us, you cannot plan for every eventuality .. otherwise you'd be showing everyone your dress.  Take care of yourself and your family x

• JbeeJbee Posts: 60

I am very sorry to hear about your great nan.  It must be very upsetting to lose someone that you love.

In regards to your dress, I think blush pink is a great colour!  I would not worry about other people's opinion as it is your wedding day you should have what you want.  People cannot see your vision, they might have a complete different vision in their mind.  Like what J14 said if your mum thinks you looked lovely and you feel fabulous in it, that is the most important thing.  So what one of your aunt and one of your friend does not agree with it?  If next time one of your cousin or other friend said white or ivory is such a boring colour for wedding dress, are you going to buy another colour?   Everyone have different tastes, it is impossible to please everyone!  I tried to please everyone at the beginning of my wedding planning and I got all stressed out about it!  It is your wedding, you can do whatever you want!!  The weddings I have been to, I have not paid much attention about the details of the wedding.  I was just very happy for my friends/relatives who were getting married.  And I think all of the brides looked gorgerous!  If they truly loved you, they will just be very happy for you!
  • I just want to say a very sincere thank you to all of you who took the time to reply to me! It has made me feel a million times better about my dress & colour choices and I know now not to worry what others say because on the day i'm sure those who truly matter will be happy no matter what! 

I also want to say thank you to all of those who gave those kind words about dealing with the passing of my great nan, it's still very recent and my heart still aches as it was very sudden but your words have made me smile & it's lovely to know that even those who I have never met before can say some of the nicest things to me. J14, i'm sorry to hear about your loss too! I think trying to remember those who cannot be with us for our big days is an amazing idea and discussed this last night with my fiance. We have decided to use photos of both sides of our families, great grandparents, grandparents and parents wedding day photos and create some sort of hanging photo frame family tree! That way those who are not with us can still be included! image

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you wonderful people! x

• LeaMarieLeaMarie Posts: 723

I'm sorry to hear about the lossof your nan hun... My H2B lost his nan and is so upset about her not seeing him get married, but he has asked his mum to bring a photo of her along, so that her face is not missing from the crowd - maybe this is something that you could do? Or alternatively, maybe have a small patch of one of her items of clothing sown into the underskirt of your dress? That way, you will have a part of her close to you throughout your day, and it will only add to the beauty of your dress, which, by the way, sounds absolutely stunning!

The dress is one of the only parts of the wedding that you should not feel the need to wear something to please the masses (unless for religious reasons, of course!) - if the dress wowed you, and your mum, then it will wow everyone else too!  image

• Little-pickleLittle-pickle Posts: 1,136

sorry to hear of your loss!

at the end of the day it is YOUR dress and if you feel beautiful and love it screw everyone else! I had plenty if situations like this with my mil but hen thought wait a minute it is mine and hubby's day and as long as I was happy hubby agreed with pretty much what ever! 

Your hubby will be soo bowled over by how amazing you look on the day! X