Forum home Emotional support

PANIC!! Will my reception be a FAIL??

So as the title says, our hall for the evening reception has a capacity of 140 and we are having just over half that amount.  

Taking into account people at the bar, out for a smoke, having a chat at a table, I'm really worried that the party will be rubbish!! We are having a DJ who I know is fab but I'm scared! The room is 14m by 7m so wondering if anyone can please reassure me??

Getting married in 6 weekss time! !

Thanks Iin advance for any replies xx

• J14J14 Posts: 121

Everyone will be there for you and enjoying themselves, everyone loves a wedding.  People can party with 7 people let alone 70 so relax. x

• tinkymootinkymoo Posts: 419

My venue has same capacity as yours. As we are getting married quite away from home we are only having 50! I really wouldnt worry at all. I'm not... more room for me on the dancefloor lol image . My dj said one of the best receptions hes worked at at my venue had 25 guests! X

• Weddin crazyWeddin crazy Posts: 1,743

Ours was for around 150 I think n we had 20 thru day n 50ish at night n had an amazing day. Honestly even if it did look bare u wouldn't notice on the day, ur way too busy n cought up in moment to care! image

• SadSack83SadSack83 Posts: 1,700

We had capacity for 120ish and 59 guests. I was worried when I spoke to tha band that it wouldn't be a party! However, despite people smoking outside and leaving throughout the evening it was definitely a party and felt like it right until the end even with about 35 people left! It will be absolutely fine!

• Andrea xAndrea x Posts: 24

Good luck with it I am sure it will be fine! Andrea x image

• CatielouCatielou Posts: 164

If you are worried about empty space why not fill it with something? We have a second room where we are having space for kids to play in and a "fun photo" area with props, cardboard cutouts and a couple of garden games. You could easily make use of the space in the main room.

• Spam88Spam88 Posts: 1,001

Remember, 140 is a limit not a target!  It'll be absolutely fine!  Just means there'll be more space for a dancefloor and tables won't be so squished together image

• NuggyNuggy Posts: 527

Don't worry. The capacity is probably in line with health and safety and fire regulations. It would more than likely be crowded at full capacity. I will by no means have a guest list anywhere near capacity. More space for my dress image

• x0x0SSx0x0SS Posts: 3

Thank you so much everyone for replying. I am feeling a weight off my shoulders already!  Xx

• Honestly it will be fine. Mine held 180 and we had about 90. It looked perfectly normal - people just spread around. 

• We will probably have 30/40 max for ours? We only wanted a small wedding anyway, i'm sure your reception will be fine and everyone will enjoy themselves, best wishes xx

• Hi ours holds 150 we have a 110 so far but 10 of those are young children plus we have a lot of older relatives coming so I have been worrying that there wont be a party atmosphere. I think you just need to relax lovely, as long as you are having a good time your guests will too! x