Why Now?!

So I'm getting married in Santorini in 10 weeks (well supposed to be). 

Except we we found out yesterday that my dad has cancer. They think it is early enough to be treated but he needs more tests and either way it will probably mean major surgery and chemo. Meaning the likelihood is he won't be able to fly. 

I just don't know what to think, it's coming up to the time where all the balances need paying. I can't entertain the idea of cancelling as people have paid out a LOT of money to fly out to be with us. But at the same time can I just up and leave for a week to get married and leave my dad at home to deal with it?!!

• BauhiniaBauhinia Posts: 91

So sorry to hear your sad news. How awful. I don't have any useful advice, other than to give yourself some time, don't rush any decisions, just when you've had such a shock. x

• herstoryherstory Posts: 1,268

((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

Hopefully you will get some timelines for treatment shortly, and have a chance too speak to your dad, I am sure he wouldn't want you to postpone your wedding. If your dad can't make it are their people in the family who can stay with him? 

• Oh mrs pickle I'm so sorry to hear that! Hmmm what a difficult situation. hmmm is there no way you could look into having some kind of blessing or maybe a registry wedding here in the UK before you fly out that way your dad is still involved? Do you think he'd want you to postpone? If he doesn't is there family he can stay with? X

• Mrs pickleMrs pickle Posts: 319

Thanks for the replies! He's a stubborn old thing so even if he did want us to postpone he would never say so, but instead insist that we still go. My sister still lives at home and I would guess if he wasn't going niether would she (we don't get on AT all). So I think really we're just going to have to carry on regardless, even if it ruins it for me image

• Weddin crazyWeddin crazy Posts: 1,743

It's the usual situation of only you know what is best for your situation, not a situation anyone would want to be in! Ur doing well to keep goin! Personally I would cancel wedding n plan a little wedding at home, but like I said only u know wt is right for you 

• moonpiemoonpie Posts: 166

I'm so sorry, it's really horrible news.

Could you set something up, like Skype or something at the place you are getting married so he can still actually be a part of the moment?

• SarahL1408SarahL1408 Posts: 154

I didn't want to read and run.  Just wanted to say I am so sorry to hear about your dad.  Fingers crossed for some positive news when all the tests have been completed! x