Evening Bbq

I need your opinion - we want an evening bbq at our wedding but the mil is saying oh what will you do for those people that dont like a bbq and that you should have a small buffet too. I dont want a buffet at all as its the norm for weddings and i wanna do something different then everyone else. I think that if it caters for the majority then im happy those people that dont like it can eat beforehand. 

Am i being unreasonable about what i want?

• No I don't think so BBQs are becoming very popular & I think as long as you have other options such as potato salads, dips, chips etv then go for it image if it's what you want then go for it image is mil helping out with money? X

• JCL1JCL1 Posts: 129

You could always have some vegetarian options for the BBQ like halloumi cheese? You can't cater for every picky eater, there'll always be someone who doesn't like the food. Just be polite but firm with MIL x

• BexgreenBexgreen Posts: 505

Thank you for replying. They are doing veggie khebabs and jacket potatoes and salads onto of usual bbq food. She is helping out a bit with money but then so is my mum and dad and theyre not being demanding about it. 

• Then I don't see why she's kicking up a fuss even on a buffet there'd be picky eaters lol. ahhh right I was thinking if she's paying for it then that might give her some say but I agree with pp be firm and polite- thank you but this ia what we have in mind for our special day. X

• MrsNearlyBMrsNearlyB Posts: 41

It's not up to her. Go for what you want x

• herstoryherstory Posts: 1,268

Tell her it is what you and your H2B want.

We had a bbq buffet, only because it was the most food per person the venue offered, the hog roast was an option until we realised all you got was basically one bap per person.

• Tell her if people don't like it then you aren't going to force feed them. Then just patently ignore her every time she brings it up.

^^^ this is exactly the way im gonna play it. I was talking to my work colleagues and was saying that if people are so concerned about the food do i even want them at my wedding because the way i see is that the reason theyre coming is to celebrate our wedding with us!! (Does that sound harsh) 

• No it doesn't.

Also, who the hell doesn't like BBQ?

You already said that you are doing veggie options, and that was literally the only issue I could think of that might give people cause for concern.

• Spam88Spam88 Posts: 1,001

I can understand being concerned about there not being a choice of food, but the BBQ does have a choice... Just tell her to do one image

We're not offering a choice at all.  We're doing mini burgers and chips image The vegetarians can just like...eat the bread or something...

• We had handmade burgers. Nothing else; beef or veggie with whatever topping people wanted but no other choice. we had no issues or complaints, just a lot of people telling us it was the best burger they'd ever had! Your barbecue will have much more choice than our evening. It'll be fine!

• SarahL1408SarahL1408 Posts: 154

We are having an evening BBQ. 

I was concerned about their not being enough choice but having spoken to the caterer about it -  I am sure it will be fine, I think BBQs are becoming very popular.  There are salads and veggie options too.  I would personally choose a burger over a plate of buffet food.

I actually think your evening food sounds really nice. 

x

• Charlie 3Charlie 3 Posts: 61

A BBQ is a great idea. I'm sure most people will love it! X

Thanks guys - im feeling much more confident about my choice and my mil will be told so image