Forum home Emotional support

I hate wedding planning

I feel so stupid for saying it, but I hate wedding planning! We're only 3 weeks in and already I'm overwhelmed and dreading the day of judgement. We're actually doing okay, have the venue, the date, the invites and save the dates. But it's still 9 months away and already I can't stand people asking me about all the little details. I wish I had the guts to just elope!! Am I the worst bride ever?!

• LeaMarieLeaMarie Posts: 723

Not at all! Maybe pace it out so that you're not snowed under by everything... To do lists are absolutely great, as you can see what needs to be done and what has already been done (a big stress reliever I find when you see the done bit overtaking the to do bits!). Often we can jump headfirst in and then feel completely overwhelmed!

Try not to let it stress you out, as after all said and done (**warning, controversial statement here...**), it is only a day.

And every time someone asks about the details, just reply with 'it's a surprise'  :

• Thanks LeaMarie, I like the "it's a surprise" advice, will try that next time someone asks! I think I'm just not used to people making a fuss...!

When you get engaged, it seems to become the way that every person you know and many that you don't decided that your life becomes public access... They want to know the ins and outs of every little thing! I find that a quick shut off response, like 'it's a surprise', accompanied with a smile stops the questions  image

• natsxonatsxo Posts: 268

have you downloaded wedhappy I found it an excellent tool to figure out what pace you should be going ....( I'm a totall freak and have planned 60% of you wedding and still got 413 days to go) but it is really helpful, some things about wedding planning are shite and I often get the same feeling, especially about dress shopping, I think I have everything else under cintroll, but at first its like aaaaah where to start, sit and make a list of what you both want and try go for that and not have an imput from other people. I struggle to keep my mouth shut because I do get so so excited about everything at the wedding but everyone just thingks ito sweet, once you let the stress go you will start to enjoy it when it's about you two xx

• natsxo wrote (see)

have you downloaded wedhappy I found it an excellent tool to figure out what pace you should be going ....

Just downloaded Wedhappy and it's fantastic. I've completed 19% and it's great that it tells you what needs doing first, and not everything all at once! I think this might help me with my wedding-stress. I suppose it's like having a list of sorts, but with fun data too. I like seeing how many days there are left. Thank you natsxo!

p.s. Booked the registrar today and that made me smile. Hoping the cloud is lifting for now!

• natsxonatsxo Posts: 268

glad I could help!! It helped us loads, theres just so much xx

• MrsBailey2beMrsBailey2be Posts: 302

I can't find the app to download?! Help!!

• MrsBailey2beMrsBailey2be Posts: 302

Found it- had to go through google then onto appstore!

• SarahL1408SarahL1408 Posts: 154

I don't think your the worst bride ever.  Weddings are great but also really emotional things. I think people just get excited and don't realise that their constant questions are stressing you out. 

However another option ...

You can do what I do, and when someone asks about the wedding, don't stop talking about it until that glazed looks appears in their eyes and then they won't ask again lol. 

• LismeLisme Posts: 20

Oh my god I have hated pretty much all of it.  I am ten days away and more little things are coming up and driving me nuts.  Currently I have no way to actually get to the ceremony, unless it's in my step-dads van!

It's actually making me not want to get married it's been so hard, not least because the guests take forever to rsvp, 20 people decided not to come 6 weeks beforehand, meaning we had to change catering plans and have a massive outdoor venue for only 45 guests, other guests can't make their mind up if they want to camp and are taking forever to pay us for the cost (we are co-coordinating a camp-site for guests) and keep asking stupid little questions that were already answered in the invite, as if I don't have enough to sort!

Almost called it off twice, and now the weather is looking rubbish I'm at the stage of trying to disconnect emotionally to it as I feel like the whole wedding is going to be shit.

Hopefully your wedding will be fab, (I've lost hope for mine).  Wine and a comforting ear, that's my recommendation!

• Oh dear Lisme I'm sorry you're feeling so bad! I bet the actual day will be amazing, and even if it's not, the day after will be great, no more stress!!! I'm feeling a little more calm at the moment, but I expect it will go up and down a lot over the coming 9 months! Rollercoaster wedding planning!