Forum home Emotional support

Scared to wear my wedding dress!

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this but I really don't like my dress! I have 4 weeks to go and I feel fat and ugly and my dress is not making me feel any better- I feel clumsy and awkward in it and I'm worried that I won't be able to enjoy my day!

I had always envisaged wearing a Jenny Packham style 20s frock but because I only had my third baby 4 months ago I thought it wouldn't hide my hips and bum. So I've made one that is a big meringue ball gown. The trouble is that I've lost weight on my chest because of stopping breastfeeding so the bodice is I'll fitting and the volume in the skirt feels huge! I have so much else to do that I don't have time to make another and no budget left to buy either! I'm also worried that because it is huge I won't be able to move about easily.

Am I just panicking or has anyone else really hated their dress before and how did you actually feel on the day? Will this go away???!  

Thanks in advance!

• Bonzo1984Bonzo1984 Posts: 74

I definitely has dress wobbles, but loved it on the day. I can say that my doubts came about when I tired it on when it didn't fit properly before it was altered.

Is it the fit of the dress that is bothering you?

If you don't have time to alter the dress could you get a seamstress to alter the bodice so it fits better and maybe alter the skirt?

Good luck. xxx

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Four weeks is a long time to get into shape and alter it accordingly. Honestly speaking, being a girl we expect to look the best on our big day, so sometimes due to over expectations also even if we are looking really good, we do not consider ourselves to be like that. But as Katspups said, let it get complete with those crystal stilettos, jewellery and make up, you will look absolutely like you have been craving for since your childhood.

• Gemma99Gemma99 Posts: 2

Thanks for the advice everyone! 

The dress now is the least of my worries! Last week the church told us the rehearsal was double booked, my hen party had also been double booked so they couldn't accommodate us and now the hotel has changed hands! Refurbishment work started on Monday so they have closed half the hotel and I have guests who now can't stay. So we have a reception with half the hotel screened off and the real possibility that they will do something like go through a power line! 

I feel eel like fate is telling us to cancel!