Low self esteem and wedding photos

this probably sounds like a stupid thing to worry about but this is my biggest concern. I HATE  what I look like, mostly my nose and mouth. I am very conscious of my appearance, especially in front of a camera. I am so scared about wedding photos, I don't think I have ever seen a photo of myself and looked nice. I look like an over weight witch.

sometimes I look in the mirror and I'm happy with myself, then I catch a photo of myself and think, do I really look like that? What I see in the mirror and what I see in a photo is competely different. This has really knocked my confidence recently after a holiday.

does anyone else have the same worries? I just think my wedding photos will destroy my confidence even more. Argh! It sounds so pathetic but I can't help it. I felt great trying on my wedding dress but in a picture my friend took I looked twice the size

• Cara9Cara9 Posts: 69

I don't think it sounds pathetic at all and I totally get where you are coming from as ive recently been Panicking about the same thing. I'm sure you are are stunning anyway, but just remember that on the day, when you're all made up and have your hair done you will look beautiful. 

It's also important to remember that you will have a professional photographer (I'm assuming here but correct me if I'm wrong) and they are experts in capturing your good angles and lighting which will no doubt result in amazing photos. Everyday photos just don't look the same as professional ones! Have you asked them if they can do an engagement shoot prior to the wedding. My friend had one and its a great opportunity for you to get to know your photographer and tell him/her about your concerns so that you feel more comfortable on the day. Remember too that you will be blissfully happy on your wedding day too and that this will translate when you get your photos.

Try not to worry Hun xx

• Anna22Anna22 Posts: 157

Here's an alternative suggestion - why take photos at all?  Think of some other way to create mementos of the day...

• I think it will definitely help if  you can find a photographer who you feel comfortable with and who understands what your concerns are.  Another thing you could think about would be concentrating more on candid shots than on posed photos, as if you're nervous it can make you stand awkwardly and hold yourself differently.  If you can get your photographer to blend into your day and take pictures of you when you are relaxed and enjoying yourself you might find that you're happier with the photos. .x.x

• RubyCatRubyCat Posts: 272 New bride

Meet with your photographer beforehand to discuss your concerns. They will know how to take photos at an angle which will minimise your nose.

You could practice with an engagement shoot

Also consider soft focus pictures which are less clear and more flattering. Find a photographer that uses this style

• Thanks everyone, our wedding photographer is based in Wales unfortunately as I live in Hertfordshire near London. I work weekends but hopefully will be able to get a weekend off and arrange an engagement shoot so I can get to know our photographer. Looking to lose about 10lbs before the wedding day so hopefully that will boost my confidence a little! Xxx

• SixSix Posts: 14

Have you thought about a videographer?

As you mentioned you find you look lovely when you see yourself in the mirror but not photos. I know some people just don't photograph well & that they look completely different in person. 

Have your photographer, definitely, cause you might not feel the same way about your pictures in 10, 20, years time. but you might enjoying seeing yourself on film more than stills at first.

a moving image can show your true beauty 😊