Problematic dad

Hello All,

My dad and I have had a rocky relationship since he married his new wife and we only began talking again recently when he told me that they are expecting a baby and I told him about my engagement.

He told me that he will try and help me out but he would have to check with his wife first. I told him not to worry if he can't because everyone will be paying their way (we are getting in Cyprus).

I have heard nothing since but my H2B and I are trying to do our budgets and don't know if my dad will be helping us or not.

I am now umming and erring whether or not ask him if is helping us or not. I don't want to piss him off and potentially lose out on help but at the same time it will make it so much easier for us to budget if we know if/how much he can help us.

Thanks.

P.S. Money isn't tight for my dad and shouldn't be a problem

• I would plan without his contribution and then if he does offer, have it as an extra bonus! If you are getting married abroad you can choose the date and hotel, send out the save the dates etc, and then if your Dad wants to contribute you could use the extra money towards the food or dress etc. That way it doesn't look like you are asking so it removes the strain from the situation

• Anna22Anna22 Posts: 157

I would assume that he isn't going to contribute, and plan accordingly. Any gifts that come are then a bonus...

• MrsMannionMrsMannion Posts: 1,331 New bride

That's what iv done I'm gettimg married aboard next year in june me n h2b r paying fir the wedding and my dad has said he would pay for the party that I am having bk home, so far I have paid for the venue as he keeps giving me a reason y he couldn't book it yet so I told him it needed paying so I paid n he can pay me bk, which I doubt and my mum and that have offered to help with the food and that if my dad let's me down xx