Advice needed - dress delay

Hello,
I got carried away when I got engaged and went dress shopping. At that time I found the dress eventhough there was still months to go. 
I duly paid the deposit on the dress which was 50% of the cost of the dress and my measurements were taken. This was on 14th January 2015.
In May I had a letter to say the shop was being sold to someone else but that my order was still going to be honoured and I would still get my dress. I went in to the shop shortly after the sale of the shop to meet the new owner who told me my dress was in the country and she was waiting on a delivery date. 
A few weeks later I contacted them and they said that they had no date for delivery of my dress and it was currently with the manufacturer. I phoned the manufacturer who said my dress was on order and at that time was being made - in America! I got back in touch with the shop owner who denied telling me it was in the country and said that even though by this time it was now 7 months since I initially ordered my dress, that the order might not have been placed at that time by the previous owner and that she (the new owner) had had to foot the cost of my deposit from her own money as it hadn't been paid. 
I have contacted her several times and am always told not to stress and I will get my dress in time for my first fitting - a month before my wedding! I don't think that is good enough. I was told 6 months when I ordered my dress and now it is 11 months since I ordered it and I am no closer to getting a delivery date than I was back then. Where do I go from here? I am worried I will have no dress come the time and no time to look for another one. What would everyone else do?

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,663 New bride

I would be a little worried- but you have spoken to someone and have proof that your dress does exist and is being made, so at least you have that and they aren't just lying!

How did you pay for your deposit? If it was on credit card you might have some protection and a way of getting the money back if you don't feel comfortable waiting. I would also check the contract you signed when you ordered the dress to see if any timescales were mentioned on there.

• loolah1loolah1 Posts: 396

That's just the thing! I paid the deposit over the phone by visa debit and therefore haven't signed a contract although I have a copy of it. It's extremely vague and has a place for me to sign but I obviously haven't! 

• I'd probably go to Citizens Advice to try and get some legal advice. If you haven't signed the contract and they took payment over the phone you don't have the paper trail most shops supply. I would try to keep the new owner on side and ask for dates. When was it ordered by them? What is the timescale? Etc etc. Hope it gets sorted for you xx

I have receipts as I was sensible enough to ask for them off the previous owner. 

The new owner is being so cagey though. 

i might go to citizens advice thanks. 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,663 New bride

Ahhh its a shame you didn't pay on credit card! I rarely used my credit card prior to wedding planning, but now I'm paying everything on it as I'm paranoid about suppliers running off with my money!

I would be worried in your place- a month before is no time to find out if you have a dress or not!!

• DactylDactyl Posts: 66

Have you got wedding insurance? If so, give them a call and explain the situation To see if they can help. Some wedding insurances include legal advice as part of the package so they may be able to get you some advice now, and maybe help you resolve the situation. 

also, I would probably try to get a written (or email) response from the current owner of the shop confirming that your dress will be in, so that you have proof of what they're saying to you shiuld you need it (which I really hope you don't).

i know it's easier said than done, but try not to get too stressed at the moment - you know about the problem now so there's time to do something about it, just don't put off getting some help if you can.

good luck.

Hi, thank you for your reply, I do have wedding insurance so will contact them. 

I have Facebook messages the owner through her shop page and have all the messages there luckily. I've also requested the date the dress was ordered with the manufacturer, which has been read but not responded to. 

Sigh!