Friend had same dress!

I ordered my wedding dress on 16 July. I'm having quite a plain strapless dress which I'm adding a lace overlay short jacket thing (also no sleeves) so it looks like an illusion neck dress. The body is ruched all over to a fit and flare skirt.

Yesterday, a friend of ours got married. Pictures posted on fb, and she had the same dress, worn simply with a belt. (She looked totally amazing!)

So. How would you feel if you were her, and in 10 months time you go to a wedding reception and the bride is wearing the same dress? Would you prefer the other bride had told you or not?

Personally, I don't mind as the dress will be styled differently, but I'm not sure whether I should talk to my friend or not. I am hopeful our mutual friends will see the funny side.

(On another note - what are the chances?!?! Of all the thousands of dresses out there!!!)

• MrsE2016MrsE2016 Posts: 1,208 New bride

10 months is a long time - and dresses look so different on different women, especially if you're adding different accessories etc.

I don't think you need to speak to her - you've ordered it and its not like you can change that now without losing money. She wouldn't be a very good friend if you did tell her & she told you to change your dress anyway!

• CE26CE26 Posts: 349 New bride

I agree with SeptemberBride. :) 

A friend recently got married and she had 3 looks for her dress. She started out in a beautiful lace edged capelet rather than having a veil for the ceremony, then had a lace cover up for the meal, before finally going strapless in the evening. She looked fabulous at each turn and it was amazing how different the dress looked each time with just a few changes in detail. 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Id only be bothered if someone wore it better than me but noticeably the same tbh 😂 Even then it wouldnt really bother me, id just be a little bit jealous!

But Ive seen how your dress looks with the jacket thing and it looks very different so I wouldnt worry.

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

Nah....I wouldn't speak to her, 10 months is a long time! I doubt she would mind and it isn't like you have copied her, plus with changing bits of it etc.... I just wouldn't mention, until maybe the day and then I would say 'what are the chances' and discuss it then. 

You don't want to talk to her about it and then risk her telling others that you have the same dress as then everyone will have an idea what you are going to look like as the bride!

At least you know the dress looked amazing on her! would be awful if you saw it and it looked terrible lol!! xx

• MichBee2BMichBee2B Posts: 726

Thank you everyone! 

MrsG2b - this did cross my mind actually, that she might tell others. 

MrsJ - thank you! I think because I know they're the same I worried it would be really obvious. 

I think I'll keep quiet, and she's so nice I'm sure she will see the funny side. 

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

Hey Mich!

Oh bless you! At least you don't seem too hung up about it and I agree with the others, at least it looks amazing! 

I also think you should keep quiet, but from a newly married perspective. I have a friend getting married in a few weeks and all I had on our wedding day from them was, 'My cake is exactly the same as yours' / 'Your pianist played our first dance song before you came into the church' (this wasn't intended, we just told him to play whatever he fancied!) / 'We have light up letters too' and it really grated on me - still does! I felt like the friend needed to point these things out as if I cared what was the same at their wedding. They basically made an issue out of something that wasn't an issue and perhaps the same would happen if you did have words. It's inevitable with weddings that certain trends may crop up in some form...

Honestly, in the last few months, I've seen four different weddings on Facey B - two of the brides wore a similar dress as did the other two. In fact, the bride's dress at our venue that day before ours was almost identical to mine! It's just one of those things...and great minds think alike right? 

x

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

If it were a close friend I'd tell them but it doesn't like you are because you only mentioned the reception? 10 months is such a long time I doubt anyone else would notice 

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

Sorry I'm going against the general feeling but I would definately tell her. I wouldn't want to see her on my wedding day and feel like she was thinking id copied her. I'd just make sure she knows that you've already ordered your dress and it's not that you saw her pictures and immediately went out to buy the same one! If she knows you've already got your dress, then yeah I wouldn't tell her. 

• MichBee2BMichBee2B Posts: 726

You see, this is exactly why I'm torn haha! 

Lubes - I definitely didn't want to run up to her next time I see her, as I know that's be REALLY annoying. But at the same time, I don't want her to be put on the spot at the time. 

But, Helen you've hit the nail right on the head - I do not want her to think I've copied.

It's a pretty distinctive dress, but im hoping the styling is enough to distinguish them. I keep looking at photos of me in the dress and jacket to check! 

Maybe I need some more time to consider. I'll leave it a few weeks and then maybe have a little quiet word. I don't know!!! Aaaaargh!

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

If you do speak to her later just say "I didnt even realise at the time, but from looking back at photos I think we have the same dress!" then it seems like less of an issue.

• Anita37Anita37 Posts: 14

It sounds as though you are wearing your dresses in totally different ways so I wouldn't worry too much, I would be ok with it unless it was a total carbon copy of my own wedding, I would find it funny and state that great minds think alike and enjoy discussing how we came to choose the same dress. Perhaps if it's worrying you then have a word with your friend on the quiet and state how beautiful you thought she looked and say you noticed it's the same dress you're having just to tip her off but if she's a true friend, she won't cause a fuss about it