Forum home Emotional support

Anxiety/worried I will be ill!

So we are getting married next Saturday and I am getting anxious (more anxious should I say!) 

Am already a very anxious person and suffer with daily headaches. I can kind of put up with that as I am used to it, although i'd rather not have a headache on our wedding day! However, since last Friday i've had a stomach ache that just won't go! It doesn't feel like anxiety stomach ache as i've had that before.. it's like a knot in my stomach and it's really painful! Thought it might be trapped wind as it feels like that but the wind tablets I took made no difference! I hoped it would have gone by now but it's getting worse! I had a stomach ache the night before my hen too and then an upset stomach on the day, so could this just be purely anxiety?!

I feel like if it's something else, i'd have had diarrhoea or been sick (sorry TMI!)

Can anyone recommend what to do?! Do I see the Dr and make sure it's not a bug or what?! Help!!!

• Sarah398Sarah398 Posts: 266

Take a breath!  Worrying about being anxious on top of being anxious wont help!!

I had a very bad painful stomach once, it felt like something Gastro, like you, there were no other symptoms.  I had a very horrible boyfriend at the time & once I had ditched him the pain stopped & has not come back since - LOL.

Please go to the Doctors, because even if it is anxiety, they should be able to give you something to settle your nerves & your stomach.

xoxo

• I agree with Sarah - I used to suffer with anxiety stomach aches and went to the doctor a couple of times. They can definitely prescribe you something to relax the muscles. Also I found my saviour has been peppermint tea! Sounds random but I find it really settles my stomach. Hope that helps.

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,355 New bride

It does sound like it is brought on by the anxiety you have about the wedding. It is becoming a self fulfilling prophesy (you worry about being ill on the day which makes you feel ill so you worry more and feel more ill etc)

Do got to the docs to see if there is anything they can do, but also look at other techniques you usually use to calm your nerves, be that relaxation tapes, yoga, meditation whatever.

Talk to you h2b and MOH as well. See what items you can delegate to them in the run up to the wedding to give you some time to relax.

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

Hey Katie,

I wasn't in the best health just before our wedding. Regardless of how stressed or calm you are, it is such a big deal, it isn't unusual for you to go a little funny over it. I had a constant knot in my stomach for the best part of a week.

Whilst my anxiety wasn't quite as bad as yours, I totally get your concerns about feeling ill and it ruining your day, but you have to change your thought pattern! If you carry on this way, you probably will get poorly .

One thing that always works for me is Rescue Remedy. It's super tasty actually and really works with bringing me back to Earth. I shoved loads of it down my throat just before I got married and I was smiling and waving my way down the aisle rather than concentrating on keeping bodily fluids inside me :') Gross, but true! Apparently Kate Middleton used it just before she got married...

I agree with MrsTwizbe and see what others around you can do to help. A problem shared is a problem halved. Try to keep your days and evenings as quiet as possible. Book a massage (I had one three days before our wedding and honestly, I stopped worrying after that!). I wouldn't discourage the doctor, but I wouldn't rely on them unless they can see you pronto. I also suggest that you keep the night before your wedding as quiet as possible. I had a laid-back meal with my dad and my aunt (who insisted on taking me for dinner - it would've just been me and dad otherwise!) which helped me relax and get a fairly decent sleep.

You are not alone in having these anxieties. I know it's easy to say, but I hope that can offer a bit of reassurance. Just try your best to relax and enjoy the run up. You will want to do it all again when it's over x

• Thanks everyone for your advice it has really helped! I have some peppermint tea so will be trying that when I get home! 

In a way it would be easier to have other symptoms so I could treat it like a bug and get rid of it! I know wedding prep is meant to be stressful but I hoped I wouldn't react like this!

H2B is so laid back he doesn't really get it! I get anxious about just about every thing and also tend to lose weight which is also not great as I now weight 7stone 7 and it's not a good look! Luckily my dress is quite tight so it should be ok! There isn't really much prep now to be done tbh, just the waiting to make sure it's all ok on the day! 

I just want to be married and go on honeymoon to relax!

Thanks again everyone :-) 

• I still feel no better which is really frustrating! Went to the GP today as had an upset stomach too... he said it's anxiety he's sure of it and sounds like I have anxiety related IBS. I have started Buscopan and just hope it eases so I can enjoy it! 

• NennypennyNennypenny Posts: 151

Katie I feel for you. I have never suffered from anxiety but I am the same as you, constant stomach churning issues. I just do not feel settled at all and there are just moments of shooting pain that literally have me cringing. It is not making the run up to the wedding particularly enjoyable! My doctor said it was reflux due to stress and I think she is right.

I bought calming teas which have really helped. Things with fennel and peppermint. I am also going to get some rescue remedy or this other stuff my friend recommended emergency essence to take on the lead up and the day just to settle me.

I really hope what the doctor gave you settles you. I am trying to stay as stress free as possible because I really don't want it to impact my day or the exciting lead up! Good luck for Saturday! X

• Nennypenny wrote (see post):

Katie I feel for you. I have never suffered from anxiety but I am the same as you, constant stomach churning issues. I just do not feel settled at all and there are just moments of shooting pain that literally have me cringing. It is not making the run up to the wedding particularly enjoyable! My doctor said it was reflux due to stress and I think she is right.

I bought calming teas which have really helped. Things with fennel and peppermint. I am also going to get some rescue remedy or this other stuff my friend recommended emergency essence to take on the lead up and the day just to settle me.

I really hope what the doctor gave you settles you. I am trying to stay as stress free as possible because I really don't want it to impact my day or the exciting lead up! Good luck for Saturday! X

Thank you so much for your reply, Its really reassuring to know someone else knows what it feels like! I keep telling myself what will be will be and there's nothing to worry about but its not helping! I might get myself some rescue remedy too actually as heard good things about it!! It's crazy what anxiety can do to us isn't it! I did think it probably was anxiety as I have had this feeling before on hen and when fiance was on his stag but this is just more prolonged! 

When do you get married? 

Thanks again for your reassurance! 😊Xx 

• NennypennyNennypenny Posts: 151

I know - no one tells you about it! I am making sure that I have my rescue remedy, Imodium and gaviscon on hand on the day JUST in case! Just try not to get too worked up - like you say, there's nothing you can really do at this point so whatever it is you're worrying about just try and let it go. In the grand scheme of things it really won't ruin your day but you getting all stressed and worked up just might. That's is how I'm thinking about it!

In 4 days time you will be getting married to the man of your dreams so try and focus your feelings on that. I saw your losing weight post too - eating is the last thing on my mind right now as well but it really is important. Try having high calorie (but still as healthy as possible!) foods. If you eat fewer meals at lease make them count! So things like granola bars, fish/salmon, avocado, nuts. Definitely start taking calming things sooner rather than later so you have a few days to feel the effects and start to focus on the amazing fact you are getting married!!  

I get married 2 weeks on Saturday - the 10th! Eek - I have such a mixture of feelings: happy, nervous, excited, relief! My tummy does a flip every time I think about it. Going for my final fitting on Thursday. I have a big exam this Saturday then then next 2 weeks I plan on trying to relax and enjoy myself before the big day!!!! X

• Thank you so much for your words of advice! I really don't know what I am getting so het up about but I guess because I am an anxious person anyway, it's just how I am wired! It's frustrating and I really am not enjoying it one bit! I have one more day at work tomorrow and then at mums Thursday helping with the cakes which she is making then having nails done friday and setting up venue so hoping i'll feel more organised by then!

I have started my kalms this morning and have some lavender oil too as it's meant to be soothing! I find if I am distracted slightly it feels better so being at work has been probably better for me! I am going to get some build up shakes tonight otherwise my dress really won't fit; another thing worrying me! I feel like I want to just sleep as that's when I am most relax.. thank god I can sleep although I can't imagine i'll sleep much friday night!!! 

I hope your final fitting goes well, I am sure it will and I hope you post some pics afterwards which I plan on doing once it has all gone as smoothly which I am sure it will!! Poor you with an exam, no wonder you're feeling anxious! Sounds like we both just need to take a minute and chill and think what's the worst that can happen! Thanks again it's really nice to speak to someone on the same wave length as me! x