Wedding build-up stress

We're getting married next month and as the date gets nearer it's getting both exciting and stressful at times. (My mum is currently recovering from a bad accident so I've been pretty fraught)

a few weeks ago we asked one of our ushers if he would do a reading during the ceremony. His instant reply was that he'd be uncomfortable if it had a religious theme. We informed him that it wasn't and said no more.

The other day by H2B emailed him the poem we'd picked and he replied saying he thought it was too difficult to 'perform' (it was on a top 20 list online - nothing too out there)

My H2B instantly backed him and says  we should find something else. I'm really hurt because I chose the words thinking of him and feel that our short 20 min ceremony should be about us, not what someone else wants.

i know I'm being a bit stubborn, but it's just so important to me. The usher sent an alternative suggestion in the same message, but he has only seen us as a couple a handful of times, but my H2B wants to agree to that for an easy life :(

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440 New bride

Some people just don't like reading aloud... I've been asked three times to do readings and even though I hated it.. I did it.

I asked my brother if he would do a reading and he said he would rather not... Sounds to me like the person you asked didn't want to do it all the way along but didn't want to admit it, there's why he tried to get out of it by using the religious excuse.

Find someone else x

• Yeah I wish he had just said that. I would much rather that than have someone else plan my ceremony, but as it's my other halfs friend I don't feel I can now drop him and my H2B won't hear of it. I think maybe my best bet is to choose another that we both like and hope he'll do that one. X

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 683 New bride

Stick to your guns, it's your wedding day and you should have the reading you want. Whether that's done by the guy chosen or someone else depends on him. Don't let him dictate what you have read, you'll regret it if you don't have the reading you want x

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440 New bride

I would just ask him outright if he wants to do a reading... That way you will know.