Forum home Emotional support

Anyone else had plans scuppered by the weather?

It's supposed to be my hen do this weekend (Fri-Sun). As we're getting married in Glasgow but live in Yorkshire, I took today off work too so that I could head up early and get some wedding stuff done, then go to the hen with my mum.

I had an appointment with the registrar today to give notice, then an appointment with the florist this afternoon to see a mock-up of my bouquet and discuss the other flowers. Tomorrow I had my makeup trial booked in the morning, before heading off to the hen in the afternoon. I was so excited for it all!

Now I can't get to Scotland today at all, which means the registrar, florist and makeup trial all have to be cancelled. We're not sure if the hen can go ahead due to the location - I don't know exactly where it is but it's off the main roads. We're going to make a call tonight on either changing it to Saturday only, or cancelling completely. People will lose out on what they've paid either way.

I'm gutted that my big exciting weekend of wedding stuff is all scuppered! H2B understands I'm disappointed but says there's no point being upset over something I can't change. Obviously I know that's logically true, but logic doesn't really come in to emotions...

Anyone else had anything spoiled  this week? I know there was at least one bride on here actually getting married this weekend, really hope it doesn't affect you if you're reading this!

• weatherwaxeweatherwaxe Posts: 848 New bride

My h2b is meant to be going on his best friend's stag in Norfolk tomorrow - they had hired a river boat and were going to spend four days on that. Now they don't even know if they can get there, never mind the whole boat part!

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

H2b stag is supposed to be Saturday night and I had a long list of errands to complete this weekend. As we hit the three mark on Saturday we have two weekends to complete things. I am making my list and wondering when I am going to get everything done. 

• So far all the weather has scuppered for me has been getting to work which has been no great loss hehe! 

Although we are due to go to a wedding tomorrow night which I was really looking forward to and I'll be gutted if we can't go, I know the bride and groom will be really upset if loads of people can't make it too, I feel so bad for them!

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440 New bride

Oh yes!!  Family possibly not coming, just had to cancel hair and make up and doing it myself so we can leave super early.  Just washed the wellies to wear!

Ceremony team phoned asking if I want to cancel 😬

Keep getting sympathetic nods from people saying 'think of the pictures' - just feel like screaming

weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

My h2b is meant to be going on his best friend's stag in Norfolk tomorrow - they had hired a river boat and were going to spend four days on that. Now they don't even know if they can get there, never mind the whole boat part!

Good luck with that, roads are pretty bad here at the minute.... Wouldn't want to be on water, lol

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 856 New bride
    Badgersbetty wrote (see post):

Oh yes!!  Family possibly not coming, just had to cancel hair and make up and doing it myself so we can leave super early.  Just washed the wellies to wear!

Keep getting sympathetic nods from people saying 'think of the pictures' - just feel like screaming

I'm sorry that some of your guests won't be able to make it :( my SIL got married in Italy in October and it coincided with monarch going bust so a third of the guests couldn't go. Obviously it was sad but it didn't hinder the actual wedding and the couple had so so much fun! And they're not wrong about the photos! They'll be STUNNING! 

Not wedding related but it's my son's first birthday next week and his party in 2 days. I've been planning it for 8 months and there's more guests invited than our wedding - it's supposed to be a big celebration with everyone we know. Now I'm worried that the caterers won't be able to make it and that our friends travelling up from Milton Keynes and down from Northumberland (we live in Leeds) won't make it. I literally have no friends or family in Leeds so I'm really worried :(

Lol I'm in Norfolk and getting married tomorrow!

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

Lol I'm in Norfolk and getting married tomorrow!

Oh god hun, keeping everything crossed for you that the majority of your guests find a way over.  You will still have a wonderful day.  You sound remarkably calm

MrsMcS wrote (see post):

It's supposed to be my hen do this weekend (Fri-Sun). As we're getting married in Glasgow but live in Yorkshire, I took today off work too so that I could head up early and get some wedding stuff done, then go to the hen with my mum.

I had an appointment with the registrar today to give notice, then an appointment with the florist this afternoon to see a mock-up of my bouquet and discuss the other flowers. Tomorrow I had my makeup trial booked in the morning, before heading off to the hen in the afternoon. I was so excited for it all!

Now I can't get to Scotland today at all, which means the registrar, florist and makeup trial all have to be cancelled. We're not sure if the hen can go ahead due to the location - I don't know exactly where it is but it's off the main roads. We're going to make a call tonight on either changing it to Saturday only, or cancelling completely. People will lose out on what they've paid either way.

I'm gutted that my big exciting weekend of wedding stuff is all scuppered! H2B understands I'm disappointed but says there's no point being upset over something I can't change. Obviously I know that's logically true, but logic doesn't really come in to emotions...

Anyone else had anything spoiled  this week? I know there was at least one bride on here actually getting married this weekend, really hope it doesn't affect you if you're reading this!

Have you contacted suppliers I book events for a living and a lot of our venues are cancelling free of charge if rebooked within a certain period?  

My H2B has been stuck on the M62 since 6.30am still not moving anywhere, no food/water and running low on petrol.

It's my best friend's birthday tomorrow and we've cancelled our restaurant booking for 21 people as they are snowed in and most of us have babysitters travelling that won't get over.  Nowhere near as bad as wedding guests not arriving though

• MrsMcSMrsMcS Posts: 235
    MrsGtoB wrote (see post):

Have you contacted suppliers I book events for a living and a lot of our venues are cancelling free of charge if rebooked within a certain period?  

My H2B has been stuck on the M62 since 6.30am still not moving anywhere, no food/water and running low on petrol.

It's my best friend's birthday tomorrow and we've cancelled our restaurant booking for 21 people as they are snowed in and most of us have babysitters travelling that won't get over.  Nowhere near as bad as wedding guests not arriving though

My sister is in touch with the accommodation to see if we can do anything about rebooking if we cancel, but I'm not sure we'd be able to find another weekend before the wedding.

H2B keeps telling me the roads shouldn't be that bad, but I'm terrified of getting stuck like yours has!

Oh I'm so sorry! It's so frustrating when people are saying things like that and you know they mean well, but you just want to shout that isn't the point! It isn't what you planned for your day and there's no way you won't be upset by that.

• Oh no :( Sorry to hear that hun :(

Feeling the same - have booked tomorrow and Mon off work as my Bridesmaids were meant to be coming up from Devon and Cornwall to go for  afternoon tea at the venue and a nice girlie weekend. Looks like it's not going to happen now :( Gutted!

Hope everyone is keeping warm and safe x

• weatherwaxeweatherwaxe Posts: 848 New bride

I just got a text. Norwich has been cancelled due to appalling weather. They're now trying to plan a last minute stag for 18 people somewhere much closer to home.

Badgersbetty, I hope your day goes as well as it can do under the circumstances. Fingers crossed for you!

My sister is in touch with the accommodation to see if we can do anything about rebooking if we cancel, but I'm not sure we'd be able to find another weekend before the wedding.

H2B keeps telling me the roads shouldn't be that bad, but I'm terrified of getting stuck like yours has!

Fingers crossed, could you do something else nearby this weekend instead?

I wouldn't risk travelling tbh H2B is still stuck on the M62.  I've been out for wine supplies for when he eventually gets back, not helping the wedding diet one bit ;-)

• gill17gill17 Posts: 568 New bride

I've been given today and tomorrow off work 

• It's my hen this weekend too. My best friend is trying to get out Scotland to come South today but nothing is running.  I just have everything crossed that it lets up tomorrow and she can travel... I keep saying to myself there's nothing I can about it, but you're right you can't stop the disappointment/anxiety.

Good luck to everyone else trying to achieve wedding results right now. Particularly, Badgers -- good luck tomorrow!! I hope you have a wonderful day, even if it's not what you planned!

I think plan B is to do some of the planned activities at my sister's place as that's not too far for most people, but I'm still a 5 hour journey away from there, and a couple of the other hens live in England too :(

An executive decision has been taken to cancel the first night of the hen and hopefully just go on Saturday instead, my sister says we'll still be able to do all the planned activities as Friday night was just going to be chilled.

Hoping I can get up on the train tomorrow, the very lovely florist has said she'll do my appointment whenever I can get there. Makeup trial is rescheduled for the end of the month. 

H2B is off out for a night shift so I'm having an evening of wine, Disney films and very un-wedding-diet-friendly snacks to cheer myself up!

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride
    MrsGtoB wrote (see post):

Fingers crossed, could you do something else nearby this weekend instead?

I wouldn't risk travelling tbh H2B is still stuck on the M62.  I've been out for wine supplies for when he eventually gets back, not helping the wedding diet one bit ;-)

did your H2B get back? Just seen on BBC news that people are still stuck on the M62 ☹️

• Leannjuly18Leannjuly18 Posts: 179

Suppose to be going wedding dress shopping tommorrow with my mum MOH and bridesmaid 😑 isn't looking likely. Am in South Wales valleys and had lots and lots of snow lastnight with more forecast today. Pee off snow!!! Hope everyone who has had plans spoiled this weekend are ok and work something out xxx

Good luck today badger!!!

Kelly224 wrote (see post):

did your H2B get back? Just seen on BBC news that people are still stuck on the M62 ☹️

He got back at 6.30pm after getting stuck at 7am, feel so sorry for those people that were stuck overnight and are still stuck :( 

Leann3 wrote (see post):

Suppose to be going wedding dress shopping tommorrow with my mum MOH and bridesmaid 😑 isn't looking likely. Am in South Wales valleys and had lots and lots of snow lastnight with more forecast today. Pee off snow!!! Hope everyone who has had plans spoiled this weekend are ok and work something out xxx

Hey Leann where in South Wales are you? I'm in Ebbw Vale and the snow is mental. H2b was supposed to have his stag tomorrow but it's now been cancelled. 

FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):
    Leann3 wrote (see post):

Hey Leann where in South Wales are you? I'm in Ebbw Vale and the snow is mental. H2b was supposed to have his stag tomorrow but it's now been cancelled. 

Hey futuremrsthomas I'm near Cwmbran. Snow has been mental, never seen anything like it. Bet it's worse in Ebbw though 😐 I've rearranged dress shopping for nxt Saturday. Was supposed to be going to a baby shower in brecon tommorrow but not sure that will happen now. When are you getting married futuremrsthomas? Xx

I get married 3 weeks today! I'm not sure if you will get to Brecon! I haven't left my house since Wednesday. 

It has only stopped snowing in the last few hours. I'm hoping it rains soon! 

Baby shower has been cancelled now anyways. Same here, hasn't long stopped snowing 😑 there's supposed to be rain sometime soon. Let's hope xx

My hen do has been completely cancelled in the end. We're hopefully rescheduling for a couple of weeks' time but it looks like it will be a scaled down version at my sisters' place as it will be difficult to find accommodation at short notice, and a few people won't be able to make it :(

On the plus side, this whole thing has shown me how lovely my friends are, especially my sister. I've had sweet messages from several of them which have really cheered me up and helped to stave off the cabin fever of being stuck at home! I actually think that the "replacement" hen will be even better in a way, because it will have taken so much effort to salvage it and I'll appreciate it all the more. Every cloud and all that!

We went ahead with my little boys first birthday party yesterday - my mum, sister and two best friends couldn't make it (literally all the important people in my wedding - sister and best friends are my bridesmaids - so I was really upset).

But by some miracle my dad braved the snow and drove all the way up to Leeds from Stanstead! Out of everyone in my family - we have the most strained relationship and he let's me down the most, so for him to come through for me like that meant so much!

I managed to get all the decorations sorted, sorted the music out last minute (my sister was in charge so we had to come up with something quick), and the food was insane!!!

And luckily my oh had invited quite a few people this last week that we're not massively close to but have met August a few times so I'm glad they put in the effort to come - some even brought presents which was way beyond what I'd expected!

imageimageimageimage

• Pleased to hear that you managed to have your son’s birthday celebration despite the weather, but it’s a huge shame not all of your guests could make it!

MrsMcS, I‘d be gutted if this were me (which I know you probably are too)! You’re doing so well to be so positive about it all. I think you could be right about the new hen, it’ll give you a greater appreciation of it. 

My plans have been scuppered to some extent, but certainly not as bad as some of you. I planned to call some suppliers and get figures etc.this weekend, but a lot have closed due to the weather so I can no longer do that :(