I haven't sworn or cried yet, but....

I ordered and paid a 50% deposit on my dress on the 1st of July. The shop 'forgot' to order my dress until mid December when I rang to find out where it was. They didn't tell me at that point that they hadn't ordered it. They said it would be in, in January. Then February. It finally arrived today.  I went to collect it at lunchtime. They have ordered it 2 sizes too small. I am a size 10, dress is a size 6. It is 7 weeks until my wedding day.

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

This is awful of them!! :o

What have they said they will do to fix it?

• mrsdivinemrsdivine Posts: 161 New bride

I am waiting for them to telephone me this afternoon. I saw the seamstress and she said she could 'probably do something with it'. But it is illusion net at the top with embroidery. It is four inches too small across the chest and two inches too short in the bodice, two inches too small in the waist. The dress will look nothing like it is supposed to once altered. The seamstress said it would take four weeks, so I wouldn't get to see what it is like until 3 weeks before the wedding. I don't know what to do at the moment.

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

If this were me I would demand my money back and try and find a dress I loved and which fitted from samples.For me a dress I love 90% and fit perfectly would be better than a dress I loved 100% but didnt fit right. But that is me. You need to do what is best for you. It is also worth asking them to reorder you the correct size, it is their mistake afterall

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398

I agree I'd demand my money back and look at dresses in sample sales. My seamstress asks for 8 weeks to do alterations so you would need your refund now to get yourself a new one in time! 

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride
    mrsdivine wrote (see post):

I ordered and paid a 50% deposit on my dress on the 1st of July. The shop 'forgot' to order my dress until mid December when I rang to find out where it was. They didn't tell me at that point that they hadn't ordered it. They said it would be in, in January. Then February. It finally arrived today.  I went to collect it at lunchtime. They have ordered it 2 sizes too small. I am a size 10, dress is a size 6. It is 7 weeks until my wedding day.

Oh MrsD :( 

I think you are well within your rights to swear and cry, and stamp your feet a bit!!

Can you call round/ search online for a sample of the same dress? Or even look at stillwhite, ebay etc?At least you would have it now, rather than risk the wait. And then demand your money back for sure.. 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Becky111Becky111 Posts: 222 New bride

What an awful situation they have put you in?!? Have a relaxing bath tonight and have a sleep and decide what you want to do. 

If it was one size I would say to take the risk, but three? I think you're right in your assumptions that it won't look anything like it did by the time the seamstress is done with it.

If it was me I'd get a refund and look at other options. I know I heard mixed reviews before I went but I got my dress from Wed2b and it was a lovely experience and the dress is beautiful. Maybe worth a try to see if you see anything else you like. 

Have a good cry and swear you definitely deserve it x

I have looked and can't find another one  anywhere. The shop said there is not enough time to re-order. I think it will have to be a new dress I am stunned at how badly they have messed up. It is now 4.45pm and they promised to call me this afternoon. I am not hopeful that I will get a phonecall today.

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

That is awful! What shop is it? I think I would ask for my money back and go elsewhere, maybe try phoning around stockists and see if they have any sample sizes? What dress is it? Is there anything similar.

In the meantime crack open the wine xx

Definitely have some wine.

It really is quite unbelievable.. 

Who is the designer, and what is the style? Happy to do some searching too! 

Thank you all so much for being so sympathetic. I can't tell you how much your support helps. I have cracked open the wine! I really feel like I am grieving for my dress (I know this is really first world problems and how privileged my life must be to have this as my major concern, however,,,) For the past 9 months, every time I think about my wedding day I picture myself in this dress. The shoes, jewellery, bouquet, etc are all chosen to go with this dress. My veil is to go with this dress. And my wedding is 7 weeks away.

They didn't call me back, so I called them at 5.55. It turns out the dress is not a UK 6 but a UK4. The seamstress has returned the dress to them as she cannot  bring it up to a 10. They didn't call me back, call the designer re a rush order or in fact do anything this afternoon because they are really busy!!!

I am finally angry rather than just upset. They are supposed to call me tomorrow but I have decided to go to the shop (which is an hour and a half away) and make it their problem (loudly) to find a solution/new dress/whatever. I really don't know what else to do.

The shop is Prudence Gowns, Exeter. The dress is Cosmobella 7826.

• Julia82Julia82 Posts: 123

Go for it - go in and make a fuss. There are still 7 weeks to go. That is actually plenty of time to make a new dress, they would have you believe it takes months but of course it doesn't in reality. As someone who has previously managed to arrange a wedding in 10 days that you wouldn't know hadn't taken months, you would be surprised what can be done in exceptional circumstances. Whether they can do anything or not remains to be seen but I would make the most fuss possible and if they can't do anything they absolutely must give you your money back so you can go sample hunting. 

May be this will be for the best - may be a better dress is hanging on a rail for you right now just waiting for you to find it ... life  can be funny like that. 

Good luck! 

Jxx

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

I agree go and make a fuss! What size did you try on in the shop? Could they not alter the sample.

I would also contact Cosmobella they might know who has a sample in your size and also probably won’t be pleased to hear how you have been treated 

xx

Julia82 wrote (see post):

Go for it - go in and make a fuss. There are still 7 weeks to go. That is actually plenty of time to make a new dress, they would have you believe it takes months but of course it doesn't in reality. As someone who has previously managed to arrange a wedding in 10 days that you wouldn't know hadn't taken months, you would be surprised what can be done in exceptional circumstances. Whether they can do anything or not remains to be seen but I would make the most fuss possible and if they can't do anything they absolutely must give you your money back so you can go sample hunting. 

May be this will be for the best - may be a better dress is hanging on a rail for you right now just waiting for you to find it ... life  can be funny like that. 

Good luck! 

Jxx

Thank you. This dress does feel fated so maybe you are right. I just knew, when I was on my way to collect this dress at midday, that I wouldn't be coming home with it (I said this to h2b this morning!). I just feel so rushed now to make a decision and find a replacement. There is also still lots of diy and organising left to do for everything else wedding related but I have absolutely no enthusiasm for it.

MrsGtoB wrote (see post):

I agree go and make a fuss! What size did you try on in the shop? Could they not alter the sample.

I would also contact Cosmobella they might know who has a sample in your size and also probably won’t be pleased to hear how you have been treated 

xx

The sample is a 14 and apparently 'not fit for resale'. The shop I bought from is no longer a stockist (???). I hadn't thought of contacting Cosmobella myself but will try tomorrow. Thank you x

Someone is selling it in a size 8 on still white? https://www.stillwhite.co.uk/62259-cosmobella

I really feel for you, fingers crossed for tomorrow with the designer! 

• I would ask them to call whilst you are there so you know they are doing something about it. Hopefully if they have a few potential sales in there at that time great, they won't want to put them off with someone complaining! My shop cut it fine with my dress, it only came in the month I got married and it did cross my mind it had been forgotten but all worked out in the (slightly stressful) end! 

GinAndBling wrote (see post):

Someone is selling it in a size 8 on still white? https://www.stillwhite.co.uk/62259-cosmobella

I really feel for you, fingers crossed for tomorrow with the designer! 

Thank you. I saw this one when I searched this afternoon. But it is in New South Wales unfortunately. I am currently going through the boutiques sample dress listings and noting the dress names and I am going to insist they let me try on every last one tomorrow (that may be the wine talking !!!)

• Julia82Julia82 Posts: 123

Is the sample in the shop really not fit for resale? Prehaps the shop might like to pay to have it altered and professionally cleaned given the massive cock up?! 

x

Julia82 wrote (see post):

Is the sample in the shop really not fit for resale? Prehaps the shop might like to pay to have it altered and professionally cleaned given the massive cock up?! 

x

I am (wine fuelled) preparing myself for a 'sit-in' tomorrow. I have told h2b to leave the toothpaste lid off, leave his socks and pants a foot from the laundry bin, snore all night, etc. I need to be really riled up tomorrow morning! I am going to ask to see the sample that I tried on. I am feeling a lot better now and quite emboldened  - hope it persists x

• Wishing you all the luck today!  I think the way the shop has handled this so far is appalling - I hope you get somewhere with them being there in person.  Please let us know how it goes.

• SarahC2016SarahC2016 Posts: 396 New bride

Good luck today! Kick some butt! 

Good luck today! Thinking of you!

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 856 New bride

Good luck today - get your boxing gloves on and get ready to fight your corner!

Their service is truly appalling and unless they want a forum full of angry brides tearing them apart (and we'll do it if you ask!) I suggest they give you what you want!

• Good luck today ! Thinking of you. anyone else near Exeter - we can ‘sit in‘ with you! Xx

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Good luck for today - go kick some butt!!  Really hope you get something sorted, let us know how you get on xx

• MrsMcSMrsMcS Posts: 235

Hope it goes well today! Stand up for yourself and don't leave that shop until you have a result you feel happy (not just okay) with!

• Sarah1609Sarah1609 Posts: 80

Its not this one is it ?!image

Thank you all so much for your messages of support, I was really touched when I read them this afternoon.
     I went to the shop as it opened this morning and was there for four hours. The manager and assistant were amazing, ringing around to call other stockists, calling the designer to try to secure a rush order, etc. Plan B was to start trying other dresses in store to see if anything could be altered. I was feeling quite hopeful. Then the owner arrived.
    She asked why I hadn't pointed out the measurements were wrong at the time, told me I had gained weight (I haven't, in fact I'm 3lbs lighter, I am between a UK 8/10 so it would be physically impossible to have been 4 inches thinner last summer). Was adamant that it was the end of July that I had ordered my dress even though I had the receipt in my hand dated the 1st July. Told me that 9 months was not  an unusual length of time to wait for a dress (even though I had the letter dated 1st July which stated my dress would arrive between 4-6 months). Told me that based on the measurements on file (wrong measurements) the dress was ordered only one size to small and therefore they were obliged only to provide me with a size 6 dress.  I felt I was being gaslighted. She got a 2nd seamstress to have a look at it, even if it is let out fully it will be too tight and the seamstress was concerned about the seams fraying /splitting if too little seam allowance is left.  The owner is adamant that I am having this dress. So she is taking it to the seamstress she employs directly in another branch to have it fully let out tomorrow.Yes - a third seamstress except this one hasn't seen the dress or me in it!!!  I am supposed to go and try it on again on Thursday. I had to agree as I am convinced this woman will not consider any other option until this dress is ripped open and still doesn't fit. On the way home I was telling myself it was only 2 days lost but then I remembered that it is the Easter weekend so actually it will be a week today before anywhere is open and I will have lost another week.

Sarah1609 wrote (see post):

Its not this one is it ?!image

No, mine has illusion net and applique. But thank you so much for looking x

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398

OOh what a noghtmare! Why don't you have a look around tomorrow at other dresses that way when inevitably the dress doesn't fit Thursday you can have a plan of action which shops are best to visit. 

Did you have anything anywhere that said your measurements that she is saying that you should have told them they were wrong? If you have then you have proof that their system is wrong not you :)