Devastated...weather ruining everything

All I wanted was one day for my perfect wedding...we found a gorgeous venue with a beautiful outdoor ceremony area, hired a tipi for the day and got loads of garden games, an outdoor gin bar, campervan photobooth and ice cream van. Now because of the amazingly unpredictable British weather I’m not going to get any of that. They can’t put the tipi up because of the winds, we probably can’t get married outside because it’s due to rain ALL DAY, and our guests can’t sleep in bell tents because it’s not safe to put them either. So 12 people have nowhere to stay two days before the wedding  everywhere is full. Not only that but there’s a cycle race on the Sunday so all the roads are shut so everyone can’t even join me for brunch like I wanted. I haven’t stopped crying yet today.. why us?...every single weekend lately has been lovely except this one. What am I going to do? The money we spent is literally wasted.

• How awful for you to have all these high hopes and amazing plans that now cant go ahead.

I know its easier said than done but try to let it all out - then move on.

You only get one day and you cannot let this ruin your ONE big day.

Have a scream and cry and then move on to planning around the new restrictions. No matter how upset you are it cant be changed and you have no control over the weather - So work on trying to make the new arrangements the best they can be.

people can make their own arrangements for travel and accommodations so you focus on your day.

Have the venue offered any refund for the things they now cannot accommodate? and have they offered any alternative solutions to ensure your day is still fab?

• I'm really sorry to hear about that. We have booked an outdoor ceremony but the venue has provided a back up option in case the weather is not in our favour. To be honest this wont be very helpful but with it being British weather I wouldn't have gambled my whole wedding being based outdoors as good weather can never be promised. Does the venue not have any indoor spaces available for you to use? as you paying all that money for nothing, to me I would feel cheated that the company does not provide back up options or insurance for circumstances such as high winds.

• I'm so sorry to hear this!  I'm guessing you are getting married on Saturday?  My OH's brother is getting married then as well and they have an outdoor reception planned - no idea if they have any contingency plan in place.  I'm guessing you must in my neck of the woods as you've mentioned the cycle ride - is it Velo South?  Think the road closures are driving everyone crazy, are the roads people need to go on definitely closed as I know there has been lots of confusion about what is actually open.  I live right in the middle of it so won't be going anywhere Sunday!

As others have said try to focus on what you can do for your day, speak to the venue ASAP to see what else they can offer, it might not be exactly what you planned but i am sure you will still have an amazing day.  Wishing you lots of luck and sending hugs! xx

• Thanks everyone. There is a barn but it isn’t as pretty as the rest of it and it means changing everything...table plans etc...would be gutted to have the ceremony in there. Yes West Sussex...hoping the Velo gets cancelled tbh!!!

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,949 New bride

Planning an entirely outdoor wedding for the end of September is dicey - does your venue have any indoor space you can use for accommodation? Can you ask any guests who live locally if they are willing to offer their spare bedrooms to your guests?

Is there any way the gin bar, photobooth etc can be set up indoors, almost like an indoor fete type thing? Will the vendors still charge you if they can't attend because of the weather? I'd speak to your insurance company, they may be able to help salvage the situation.

• Can you use some of the decorations that you were going to use for the tipi to put in the barn? Really hope you get something sorted.  Whereabouts in West Sussex are you?  The velo might get cancelled because of the weather - fingers crossed!!

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

Planning an entirely outdoor wedding for the end of September is dicey - does your venue have any indoor space you can use for accommodation? Can you ask any guests who live locally if they are willing to offer their spare bedrooms to your guests?

Is there any way the gin bar, photobooth etc can be set up indoors, almost like an indoor fete type thing? Will the vendors still charge you if they can't attend because of the weather? I'd speak to your insurance company, they may be able to help salvage the situation.

Thanks, really helpful to say we shouldn’t have booked it, it rained all during August. No one lives locally.

• Kelly224 wrote (see post):

Can you use some of the decorations that you were going to use for the tipi to put in the barn? Really hope you get something sorted.  Whereabouts in West Sussex are you?  The velo might get cancelled because of the weather - fingers crossed!!

Yes that‘s the plan. Pulborough. 

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Ah that's awful news, but I'm gonna assume the venue has suitable back ups because outdoors in September would always be risky so surely they knew this may happen? Check your insurance, you may be able to claim something back (my birthday is September and my 18th birthday party had to be cancelled as was mostly outside and a big storm hit then as well). 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,949 New bride
    redhair82 wrote (see post):
    MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

Thanks, really helpful to say we shouldn’t have booked it, it rained all during August. No one lives locally.

Nowhere did I say you shouldn't have booked - I was saying that if your venue were willing to take on a booking for a very outdoor based wedding in Autumn I would have thought they would have some back up options available. I know you're upset but there's no need to be rude to people who are trying to help you and suggest solutions. I shall bow out and let you get on with it.

• I am SO sorry to read this. Is it this Sat ro Sun?

Can another cool marquee go up? Or are the winds meaning no marquees at all? We had a huge yurt at our wedding in high winds and rain. Lol. 

Can you post pics of barn so we can brain storm making it look cool. 

There is a new Airbnb type of site that hires camper vans. An alternative to Belltents? Think it's called Camperley

• Thanks everyone...sorry I’m just really stressed and upset,  no, no marquee at all. It was our decision to have the tipis and bell tents so not really up to the venue to help us although they are trying! Just mainly upset for the guests who have no accommodation and for all the money we’ve spent. We could have got a barn anywhere for less than half the cost!!

• Hi Redhair, 

I'm really sorry about the plans, it's always a worry for anyone in the UK I think, even in the summer, everyone wants a dry wedding day and that's understandable. How long does it take for them to set up?  Just checked the forecast by you (on BBC which is always on the pessimistic side) and it looks ok tomorrow and maybe a bit wet Saturday. What have your venue said? Even if you have to go inside it'll still be fantastic though, remember they are professionals, have done this before and will sort something out. Guests won't mind venturing out a bit to get drinks/food, people will bring coats and umbrellas if they expect rain. It certainly wouldn't stop me, as a guest, from having a good time!  If it's wet and windy on the day, try and embrace it... The wind will catch your dress/veil and create wonderful movement, and a good photographer can make raindrops look like crystal. on our day  It was the end of the heatwave, the temp. dropped by 10 degrees, there was a massive thunderstorm and it was windy... But the day was the best of my life and the pics are awesome!  Wishing you all the best. 

P.s.... I'm sure they could set up tents on the morning for guests? The wind looks to have settled by then. 

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):
    redhair82 wrote (see post):
    MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

Nowhere did I say you shouldn't have booked - I was saying that if your venue were willing to take on a booking for a very outdoor based wedding in Autumn I would have thought they would have some back up options available. I know you're upset but there's no need to be rude to people who are trying to help you and suggest solutions. I shall bow out and let you get on with it.

I always think when I see threads like this how helpful it could be if the bride would consider staying active on the forum to offer advice to other brides contemplating similar decisions.  One I see on here all the time is buying the dress too small in hopes of losing weight - and then the dress not fitting. Or buying the dress way to early and then having major wobbles. Booking an outdoor wedding in a questionable-weather season is honestly another one on here a lot. I know it doesn't help ATM, but maybe as someone who experienced a serious wedding-related problem first hand, there would be some satisfaction gained in helping future brides. A lot of us offer advice to brides on this forum which largely goes ignored, and you can tell the bride is just looking for someone to re-affirm what she has already decided. You could do a lot of good here by offering advice based on your experience.

In the meanwhile, the barn seems the way forward. I know it's hard to see it now, but be grateful there even is a barn. For my previous nuptials, my stupid self didn't consider a plan B and there was no real indoors option at our venue. It rained all week, and we very nearly had to get married in their tiny pub!

• I’m also in West Sussex so have just seen on Facebook the Velo South has been cancelled.

• Yes I’ve just seen that as well MrsPB - at least that is one bit of good news! 

Did you manage to get anything sorted OP? 

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398

Ive got no helpful advise I'm afraid but I'm sending virtual hugs your way ☺ I get married Saturday and have had so many desasters the past few days! Last minute let downs, I've got a uti and the worst one... the best man's crazy ex has had him arrested for make believe allegations! 

Fingers crossed it all just comes together for us BOTH on the day xx

• I'm so Sorry-hope all works out!

• Hello everyone!! At the final hour they have decided to try and erect the tents this morning so I am about to travel down and keep my fingers’ crossed...!!! They’ll have to take the main tipi down Saturday night but the bell tents can stay up until Sunday. Thanks for all your help and support. Yesterday was a tough day. Weather still looking mixed but hopefully we can have the ceremony outside and people will just bring brollies!! We have also rounded up three extra marquees and my friends are finding me some sparkly wellies. Think they think it’s Glasto but seem determined to have a good time. I also bought two white brollies for us. And yes the Velo has been cancelled!! which makes things so much easier. My advice would be to anyone contemplating an outdoor wedding in this country is that make sure plan B is an attractive an option as plan A...and make plans after plans for the bad weather  just in case. I would also not spend as much as I did trying to have the “perfect“ wedding, as it can be taken out of your control. At the end of the day everyone seems positive despite the weather and I’m married the woman I love. xxxx

Thanks everyone again for all your support and suggestions yesterday xxx