Forum home Emotional support

Wedding Blues

Hi all 

I had my wedding in mexico nearly 3 weeks ago. I'v been home a week and one of my bridesmaids was at my wedding dress shop today picking dresses for her wedding in 2020. I am so happy for her and so happy she gets to experience what I did for my wedding but I also fell very very sad its all now over. 

It's such a big build up and now its gone in the click of a finger. I also feel because I got married abroad and there was a big build up with all my guests before makes it even harder to handle. Has anyone had a similar experience? 

Thanks 

• CE26CE26 Posts: 351 New bride

I'm almost at my 2 year anniversary and I still get pangs of wedding blues, particularly as my brother is now planning his wedding so it's a constant topic of conversation at the moment.

We planned ours within about 8 months so it all felt really hurried. We had an amazing day but I wish I could do it all over again!

The feelings do pass - it's normal to have the blues but you just have to look ahead to the next adventure in your life and try not to dwell on them.

• I know how you feel, I wish I could do it again. I didn't know how sad I was until I went to the wedding dress shop today. I feel Iv not grieved for the holiday yet never mind the wedding and now its my best friends. I really miss the build up and excitement and hopefully I can be as excited for my friends in time. 

Thank you for your response :) at least its not just me who feels the 'pangs'. Hopefully I get over it soon. 

• MrsBeehanMrsBeehan Posts: 378 New bride

Hey! 

I got married almost 5 months ago and for about a month, maybe 2 months after I felt the same, especially when seeing anyone else getting married or wedding planning. I would feel very envious, I went to see one of our wedding co-ordinators a week after the wedding and I cried when I saw her!!! And she said, it's ok and so many newlyweds feel exactly the same. Doesn't make you feel much better but nice to know you aren't being silly! I still feel a bit down now and again when I think about it and would love to do it again but I've found it does get easier.

When you're planning and during the wedding you feel so special, people treat you in a certain way. Sadly you'll never get that bride feeling again (well hopefully not as you want your marriage to last!! ) BUT that's what makes it so special, it's an experience you'll never forget and if we had it all the time it'd lose it's significance.

Also, and I'm not sure how long your wedding planning period was, but we had about 18 months. That's a long time to plan and dream. I loved planning and always had that 'I've got the wedding to look forward to...' feeling. Afterwards I felt like there was nothing to look forward to. 

I think you've got to give yourself time, it sounds silly but it's a bit like grieving, you're on a high, you build up to it and then suddenly and rather quickly it's over. Personally I started to plan things to look forward to, I know nothing seems as exciting as a wedding but I found (and I know everyone is different) that after time it became easier and I didn't feel as sad. You'll start to find happiness in silly little things. 

I hope this helps a little bit and makes sense. Just know you aren't alone and every bride gets to that point where their wedding is over and they're a little sad or even very sad but you will feel better. Like I said give it time and you will feel better :) 

• Mrs Beehan 

Thank you for your response, yes we were wedding planning for roughly 18 months also and your so right everyone is so nice to you and they do treat you in a certain way. It's an amazing experience. I think I'm envious of my friend because I know how it feels in the lead up to the event. She was there for me 100% of the way and I will be there for her just the same. It doesn't make it any easier lol

This time in 2 years I will be having the same chat with her haha. 

• MrsBeehanMrsBeehan Posts: 378 New bride
    Emily-33 wrote (see post):

Mrs Beehan 

Thank you for your response, yes we were wedding planning for roughly 18 months also and your so right everyone is so nice to you and they do treat you in a certain way. It's an amazing experience. I think I'm envious of my friend because I know how it feels in the lead up to the event. She was there for me 100% of the way and I will be there for her just the same. It doesn't make it any easier lol

This time in 2 years I will be having the same chat with her haha. 

Exactly!