Forum home Emotional support

Wedding dress first fitting

i went for my first fitting yesterday and my beautiful fit and flare gown is skin tight and the assistant had no answers as to why its so tight.  The size is a size smaller than the sample I tried on so says a 12 on the ticket although the sample was a 14.  I’m getting married abroad in a hot country and am not sure yet if they can let seams out satisfactorily.  Disappointed !

• MrsPope2018MrsPope2018 Posts: 1,374 New bride

I don't really have anything useful to say but didnt want to read and not reply. When is your wedding? What did the shop say about alterations? Did you order the same size as the sample, if so surely they ave a responsibility to fix their mistake. Keeping everything crossed that you get it sorted 🤞

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,430 New bride

My dress didn’t fit. It was about 8 inches too small. Mine was a fit n flare mermaid. She let the dress out by adding gussets down the 2 side seams and then matched the lace so that you couldn’t see where it had been let out.

• Hi my wedding is abroad we leave on New Years day.  I ordered a new dress beginning of June and they ordered a size 14 and at fitting yesterday I asked why the label said size 12 and they said it’s American sizing as designer American.  They said it goes on your measurements which when purchasing she said I was near enough the sample size 14.

they have said they could take out the waist but it’s quite tight all over and shouldn’t really have to be let out it should be big enough that if anything they take in so I read.

thanks

• Yes the wedding dresses seem to come up very small but the brideal shops must know that when they order to your measurements 

• My wedding dress was a fit and flare. The first time I put it on I thought it was way too snug. But by the time I'd worn it at my fittings and a couple of times trying it on at home, it did loosen up and give, and by the wedding day it was comfortable and fit really well. My seamstress said it can often be the way that they will give after a couple of wears, and she reminded me that it's not like just wearing a normal dress, or jeans and tshirt, and they do feel quite restrictive at first! Maybe chat to your seamstress and see if this is the issue?