Forum home Emotional support

Dad is not happy with me!

Hi all, 

looking for a bit of advice/support. I got engaged last week (super happy). My dad didn’t congratulate myself or my partner but my mum is super over the moon. When I announced yesterday i may have found a venue which i am going to look at he went absolutely ballistic at me, he told me to leave the house etc. I don’t know what I’ve done or anything. I’m his only daughter but even when i moved out he was the exact same. Never showed much interest. It’s currently killing me on the inside. Has this happened to anyone else or is it normal? 

• Honestly, this is completely his issue and i'd just leave him to it. You cannot control how others react, and if he has some weird issue with you being an adult and living your life he has to learn how to manage that. You could explain to your mum that while he is behaving like this its having a negative impact on how you feel about him, because you just want his support, but hes got to get over himself really, and learn how to process change in a healthy way. 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride
    Why is he angry? Does he not like your fiance, does he not want you to grow up? I'm not sure I understand.
  • effie95 said:
    Hi all, 

looking for a bit of advice/support. I got engaged last week (super happy). My dad didn’t congratulate myself or my partner but my mum is super over the moon. When I announced yesterday i may have found a venue which i am going to look at he went absolutely ballistic at me, he told me to leave the house etc. I don’t know what I’ve done or anything. I’m his only daughter but even when i moved out he was the exact same. Never showed much interest. It’s currently killing me on the inside. Has this happened to anyone else or is it normal? 
    Do you know if your fiance asked your dad before hand?
    If he's a bit more old fashioned (even if its not i think some older people just class it as polite?) maybe that's why he's hurt?