Ushers/Best Man what are you paying for?

Hi

I was just wondering what you are paying for when it comes to the men...

We have hired them all shirts, cravats, trousers and tails. we have also bought them all a pair of cufflinks.

Are you buying shoes or asking them to buy there own? Are they all supposed to have matching shoes?

and finally, what are you giving as gifts? Do you think we can give the cufflinks as the gift or do we need to get something as well?

Thanks x

• Hi

I was just wondering what you are paying for when it comes to the men...

We have hired them all shirts, cravats, trousers and tails. we have also bought them all a pair of cufflinks.

Are you buying shoes or asking them to buy there own? Are they all supposed to have matching shoes?

and finally, what are you giving as gifts? Do you think we can give the cufflinks as the gift or do we need to get something as well?

Thanks x
  • we buying them everything nut we are getting married in thailand and there paying for own flights hotel ect xx
  • we are paying for suite and all but shoes they ae just wearing their own so long as they are black i dont care if they match and i think cuflinks are fine as pressies i think that is what we will do but we have 8 including the groom and my dad.
  • seffielseffiel Posts: 1,729
    We are paying for suits. and that's it. I've bought them all gifts including cufflinks but not providing shoes!! The other gifts were engraved tankards x
  • Hi,

I think I must be really tight !!

All the men are paying for their own suits ! I managed to get them a 20% discount. They are supplying their own shoes as well. I have bought them all cufflinks as a thank you !

I made it clear from the start that we weren't able to pay for everything !!

• viccipviccip Posts: 2,161
    Paying for everything but the shoes... im happy for them to wear their own, i only ask that they must be black.

• Paying for everything apart from shoes just told them to have black on
  • xayukxayuk Posts: 591 New bride
    For great groomsmen gifts take a look at;

http://www.squidoo.com/WeddingGroomsmenGifts

Congratulations and best of luck!
  • same as most people i have hired everything part fromt he shoes, long as they are black i said i dont mind.

I figured if we were paying for the bridesmaids dresses etc we couldn't expect the men to pay for theirs

xxx
  • TulipBrideTulipBride Posts: 3,966
    We paid for our best man's hire suit and just asked him to wear black shoes. With our ushers we told them to wear a smart suit or if they didn't have a suit, smart jacket and trousers and they would be distinguished as ushers by wearing buttonholes, which we paid for. We weren't fussed about them all matching as we preferred them to wear their own clothes to reflect their individual personalities.

If they had matched, we would have paid though.

The cufflinks are fine as presents. We gave individual presents as they all had different tastes and we wanted to give specific presents rather than something generic. Wasn't expensive as we bought in the sales and online! Thank god for the internet!
  • rossi350rossi350 Posts: 173
    Paid for bestman but ushers have paid for their own.
  • MrsKiraSRMrsKiraSR Posts: 1,424
    We have bought waistcoasts and tie/hankies to match H2b's for the BM and the FOG and FOB.

The ushers are having the matching ties and hankies, and wearing their own grey suits and shoes.

We have bought the BM a suit and shirt as well, as he doesnt own a suit, and is on relatively low pay.

The FOB and FOG are both buying their own grey suits to wear.

We have bought them all matching cufflink and tie pins, and wedding socks with usher, best man, father of bride etc
  • We're paying for their attire, we're hiring not buying, and then we're going to get them best man/usher socks and cufflinks. Not providing them with shoes though.
  • Hi Ladies

I just wondered how much hiring a suit would cost as an average!

We have 13 suits to get so not sure on pricing!! We will probably pay for the best men.

• We are paying for the best mans suit hire which includes the shoes, and we will buy him a thank you present too.

Out ushers are using there own suits and we are buying them matching ties and flowers. H2b did this for his cousins wedding when he was usher, worked well, as they couldnt afford to get ushers suits!x
  • We've paid for the best man's suit, and he'll be wearing his own shoes on the day (anything black).

For other attendants (ie Dad's), they're paying half the cost of their suits and also wearing their own shoes..... image
  • We paid for our guys' outfit hire, and bought them ties. They each had their own shirts and shoes. The shoes don't have to match as long as they're black, I reckon, And I would say fine, and very appropriate, to give the cufflinks as a gift.
  • Garfyuk1Garfyuk1 Posts: 585
    we are paying for best man, ushers and fathers suits to be hired and they will just provide their own shoes, most men have a pair of black shoes anyway. We are getting them cufflinks but not as a gift, they are just part of their outfits and as for actual thank you gifts, no idea yet! Not doing the usual thing of getting a hip flask or something engraved, probably just going to go and get them debenhams vouchers so they can actually spend the money on something they want. Our best man has been BM quite afew times and he is quite sick of the traditional items that just get put in a drawer and forgotten about, so i have made a mental note to not do that! And, if i'm going to spend 20 - 30 quid per person, I don't want it to be a waste of cash really.xxx
  • Lyn_MLyn_M Posts: 886
    We are only having 1 best man & 1 usher. Traditional scottish wedding, so we will be paying for thier kilt hire (whole outfit includes shoes).

We havent decided on gifts, but we will probably get them personalised glasses/tankards/hipflasks.
  • i think we are being really tight- we have brought shirts,waistcoats and cravats and star treck cufflinks but we have asked bestman, usher and my dad o just wear a smart black suit that they already own, to be honest i cant tell the difference between suits. im not asking them to buy a new one though but they all are using it as an excuse to buy one anyway image
  • we have paid the deposits (£21) and they have to pay the rest (£50) for their suit hire. i dont think its unreasonable to ask people to contribute to their clothes to wear, its not like they are ushers every day! they can just wear their own shoes.
  • We've bought them ties. The groomsmen just need to wear a white shirt (every man has one) and pale beige trousers (again, most have them, if not, we said we were happy with Primark trousers). Best men will wear suits. They have offered to buy their own as they wanted to wear suits to look smarter. We might get them some comedy nic nac presents but there's 10 in total so....
  • SaucyKSaucyK Posts: 72
    We have 8 suits to get and paying for them all however we are hiring them together with shoes each so they will all be matching. H2B & I choose the suit together then all of the men are going for the fittings in July, we are getting married in September.

In terms of gifts I thought we could get the men cufflinks too but rather than give them to them at the wedding reception my H2B to give them to them all on the morning of the wedding so they can wear them on the day, I was planning on doing the same for my 3 bridesmaids as I have bought there dresses & shoes I was thinking of buying them a matching earings and necklace set as a gift but giving it to them the morning of the wedding also to wear on the day, saves on some money and I everyone understands how much weddings cost.

Check out Moss Boss for suit hire, if you hire over a certain amount of suits you get the groom for free.
    We have 8 suits to get, we are hiring them all together with shoes each so they will all be matching. H2B & I choose the suit together then all of the men are going for the fittings in July, we are getting married in September.

In terms of gifts I thought we could get the men cufflinks too but rather than give them to them at the wedding reception my H2B to give them to them all on the morning of the wedding so they can wear them on the day, I was planning on doing the same for my 3 bridesmaids as I have bought there dresses & shoes I was thinking of buying them a matching earings and necklace set as a gift but giving it to them the morning of the wedding also to wear on the day, saves on some money and I everyone understands how much weddings cost.

Check out Moss Boss for suit hire, if you hire over a certain amount of suits you get the groom for free.
    We have 8 suits to get, we are hiring them all together with shoes each so they will all be matching. H2B & I choose the suit together then all of the men are going for the fittings in July, we are getting married in September.

I apologise if this message has been posted more than once, my laptop is playing up.

• NewcastleBeccaNewcastleBecca Posts: 1,450
    You can get a beautiful grey suit in Marks and Spencers for £125 or so.

We're asking them to wear their own mid grey suits and then we'll buy the shirts, ties and cufflinks.
  • We will be paying for their full suit hire, and are buying them cufflinks.

Haven't really though much about their shoes - I think I will leave it to them, as long as they are black and clean lol.

We will be getting a cufflink box engraved for each of them, but I still want to get them something a little more (probably a little spaceform thing or a small bottle of their fave tipple) x