Tailcoats no hat??

Has anyone else chosen tailcoats for groomsmen but not opting for a hat? I am getting it in the ear from the MOB and MIL that is we have tailcoats the men should wear hats.

HELP!

• Has anyone else chosen tailcoats for groomsmen but not opting for a hat? I am getting it in the ear from the MOB and MIL that is we have tailcoats the men should wear hats.

HELP!
  • We're having tails with no hats. Didn't plan to, was going to have the prince edward but H2B tried on the tails and felt like a million dollars so we're going with them. No hats though, we're only having a small wedding (20) so didn't want to be too ott! I think they look good though, and a hat wouldn't really suit H2B!!

[Modified by: MrsHanson2Be on January 17, 2010 01:17 PM]

• were having tailcoat no hat, h2b really suits tail coat but looked plain stupid with a hat, didnt really sit on his head properly. anyway its up to you and h2b not them, if you wanted to compromise, he could just carry the hat? x
  • My H2B looked really handsome in the tailcoat, but just silly in a long jacket - almost like he was wearing his dads oversized jacket! I think I will go with it minus hats.. thanks !
  • Like MrsHanson2Be our wedding is only going to have 20 people at it. So we decided on tailcoats but no hats as we thought it might be a bit OTT. Plus we're getting married at a castle on a very big hill so if we had hats they might be blowen off!!
  • Like MrsHanson2Be our wedding is only going to have 20 people at it. So we decided on tailcoats but no hats as we thought it might be a bit OTT. Plus we're getting married at a castle on a very big hill so if we had hats they might be blown off!!
  • Like MrsHanson2Be our wedding is only going to have 20 people at it. So we decided on tailcoats but no hats as we thought it might be a bit OTT. Plus we're getting married at a castle on a very big hill so if we had hats they might be blown off!!
  • me too!! no hats!!
  • Wearing hats at weddings was the done thing in past times. Now, it is not nearly as common. Out of all the weddings I have been to recently, none of the guys wore hats. The only people wearing hats were the older generations and even the hats among that crowd were low in numbers.

Hope helpful and goodluck!
  • My H2b and his groomsmen are planning to have tailcoats but no hats. Some of them are deaf and uses sign languages to communicate. It's pointless to try and hold their hats and sign at same time. They should look great without hats.
  • We are also having tailcoats and no hats...H2B looks silly in the hats and I would spend most of the day teasing him image) xx
  • MrsNJTMrsNJT Posts: 104
    Same here, tails but no hats, best man wanted hats and canes, but put my foot down.

Nobody has really mentioned that we should be having hats, and even if they have, h2b doesn't want to wear one so that is that. His decision.
  • we're not having hats either...they'd just get in the way. I think the tailcaots look really nice without hats anyway.
  • rubybriderubybride Posts: 36
    We are not doing hats and none of the weddings I've been to have had the guys in hats !
  • utopian99utopian99 Posts: 530
    my fiance wants tails but no hats - i figured it's up to him, if he doesn't get a say in my frock, i wouldn't dictate what he wears.

having said which he's been teasing me about turning up in a red top hat recently (!)