Forum home Archived For the groom

Messages from football teams etc

Hi all,

Right - what on Earth do I say to my Fiance's football team regarding getting a letter of whatever they do for the wedding? I'm not really sure what I'm asking for...! I'd love a letter from them but I know this is unrealistic - so how are you all wording your requests to get the best of what they offer??

Thanks all

xxx

• AmyLGKAmyLGK Posts: 375
    apologies for the random double post!
  • AlyBallAlyBall Posts: 695
    I don't think it's unrealistic!! That's exactly what I got!!

i e-mailed Newcastle FC and told them about the wedding and that H2B was a huge fan. I just asked if there was something that they could think of that they could send him as a sort of well wishing gesture? I offered to pay postage and also for the item suggested to a limit obviously. I got a fard signed by the whole team and a letter signed by Alan Shearer!!! He'll be well chuffed!!
    oh my goodness Alyson - that's my H2B's team too! AMAZING! I'm an avid Leicester fan so even going on their web page makes me feel sick image

Seriously though - that's fantastic that they do that! Thank you so much!

oh did you just use the online contact form to ask them or did you have an e-mail address??
    OMG There's two of them?!?!?!? lol!!!

I just contacted them via the website!!! It's a great letter and I got an e-mail back quite quick telling me they had everything in hand but that Alan Shearer was away to the world cup at the time and they would get it signed when he returned!!!

They're lovely, honestly, I don't see any problem at all!!!
    Unfortunately there are many more...I had to sit in the home side at st james's Park when they beat us 1 - 0 last season...I did not enjoy sitting next to many geordies at the moment they scored, it was not much fun!!! HA!

How long before the wedding did you e-mail them?

I did e-mail them a while back but as I said, I was told they were waiting on Alan Shearer coming back and I figured that wouldn't be until their first home game of the season. Turns out I was right, their game was the Sunday and my letter came through on the Wednesday!! We're getting married in 5 weeks so it was good timing really!

When are you getting married??

I know there's a whole lot more!! H2B took me to a Sunderland game - 8 month pregnant!! Guess where we were sitting???? 2nd back row of the stadium!!!!
  • Haha loving all the football chat girls!

I sent an email yesterday to Rangers (ewww I support Celtic lol) saying how big a fan my H2b is, how he was a mascot when he was 6 and has had the same season ticket seat since! And a wee bit of personal info like how when I'd bought him a hol to Italy for his bday back in May 2008 he ended up going to the uefa cup final in manchester and followed me out to Florence a day later image (haha I knew fine well when I told him to go the brownie points it would earn me in the futureimage)

I just said to them that Rangers is such a big part of his life and I knew it would make his wedding day even more special to have some kind of token from the club like a signed photograph or letter to be read out during the speeches... we shall see what they say back! I came across the idea on this website, theres quite a lot of chat about letters from football clubs but have yet to go to a wedding where it actually happened - that should make it even more special!
  • Oooh how exciting, I got a lovely reply back there saying no probs at all to the signed letter and that she would get Walter Smith AND ally McCoist to sign it!

He's going to LOVE it!! It will be a nice surprise for him after doing his own speech cos I know he's dreading it.
    That's pretty much what I did too - lay it on thick!!

See, we live just outside of Glasgow but H2B is a Newcastle supporter first and foremost (and now, he isn't a geordie either!! Born and bred up here!! I said that he had a season ticket but gave it up when I got pregnant but that we travel as often as we can. Mentioned that he is a member of the 12th Man Club etc etc and just went on to say that it would really make his day if we could have some sort of personal token from the club to wish him well. He'll be over the moon that it's from Alan Shearer - that's his idol from there (well probably Bobby Robson to be honest, God Rest his Soul!)

I did the same with Brian Jacks but I was able to be a bit more personal with that one as H2B actually fought him at an exhibition - to my surprise he actually remembered him!! He was absoloutely fabulous!! He sent a card, signed photos and a DVD of his SuperStars career!! He really was lovely!!!

I've never seen this done at a wedding either and I'm pretty sure H2B hasn't so it will be a nice surprise for him. I mentioned it to his BM and he said to give it to him and he'll write it into his speech. It was him that said "If you give him this before the wedding, the rest of the day will be a blur to him!! At least get the service over with!!!" Very good point I thought!!!
    We're getting married in August next year (Finally I can say it's less than a year image ).

I can't believe what you ladies got from the clubs - how wonderful! I'll have to lay it on thick then image

And going to St James's whilst 8 months pregnant AND to the Sunderland game is INCREDIBLY brave image

xx
    We're getting married in August next year (Finally I can say it's less than a year image ).

I can't believe what you ladies got from the clubs - how wonderful! I'll have to lay it on thick then image

And going to St James's whilst 8 months pregnant AND to the Sunderland game is INCREDIBLY brave image

xx
    Yeah, I was very impressed with what they offered me!! Especially from Brian Jacks. H2B's BM was super impressed with this one but that's only because he's also a Judo player and not a football fan at all!!

The letter from Alan Shearer is really REALLY well worded! It reads very well and brings the football terms and phrases into the marriage context!! Was impressed with that as well actually!

H2B's BM said "Much did you have to pay for all this?!?!" His face was a picture when I said "Nothing, it's amazing what you get when you ask nicely!!!"

Incredibly brave or incredibly stupid!!! The hardest part was walking up all of those stairs!!!