Forum home Archived For the groom

Morning suit to an afternoon wedding? HELP PLEASE!

We're getting married in May in a central London registry office ceremony, followed by a reception, dinner & dancing at a Mayfair hotel. The registry office wedding will be at around 5/5.30pm, then the wedding party goes straight to the reception which starts at 7pm.

H2B insists that 5.30pm is still within morning suit territory and refuses to wear a lounge suit, which he doesn't think is formal enough. It is obviously too early for black tie. But as there won't be an opportunity for the wedding party to get changed for the evening reception, I wonder what the correct dress code should be? I will be wearing a plum coloured Roland Mouret number, so no traditional white dress.

I've only ever been to church weddings where everyone wore morning suits, but then the receptions tended to start much earlier, even if they went into the night.

HELP PLEASE!

Many thanks! 
Victoria  

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

I would actually be tempted to go for the black tie option- I think it would be most in keeping with your dress + venue/ the type of wedding you appear to be having.  5.30 isn't that early and, as you say, your evening reception is immediately after the ceremony. I've actually been to two weddings where the dress code was black tie and the couples were married at 1-2pm!  

• I would say whatever he wants to wear? Your wedding sounds lovely image x x

• You planning is very effective..

Go and celebrate..

http://goo.gl/rIUb4d