[b]Permission To Marry[/b]

I was just wondering who's H2B have asked permission to marry?

JP did & got quite a nice letter back wishing us the best of luck & offering any help if needed. Since then we've put in for MQ & I went down to have a look round. Everyone was ever so friendly & helpful. We even got to go a see JP's Sgt's MQ which I thought was so nice of his wife to let me have a nose!

Another couple who are getting married didn't ask permission. I was talking to them yesterday & they've had a completely different experience! Haven't seen any MQ's or been invited to any nights etc.

Is it just like this at Bulford or is any one finding other camps similar? If so I would definitely recommend seeking permission!

• sophia12uksophia12uk Posts: 172
    Your h2b needs to write a letter to notify his CO that he is getting married. This is tradition, they cannot stop him from getting married but its nice to make them aware that you intend to get married. There is a special way of writing the letter just go to admin office and ask to be given a template.
  • FAYE1983FAYE1983 Posts: 853
    We are going to but we aren't sure how to go about it or word the letter! What did you write in yours lottie? We are a bit stuck!!!

Sophia- What if you cant get to the admin office, is there another way to get hold of this templete?

H2B is in afghan so i am trying to sort this out ready for him when he gets back on rnr!!

xxx
  • Is this the same procedure for all regiments? H2B is in the parachute regiment.
  • SophieHukSophieHuk Posts: 954
    we haven't done this but everyone knows we are,

Everybody is being really friendly, everytime I see H2B's CO at events he is always chatting away and asking about the plans, so not sure if we need to now?
  • xLottiexLottie Posts: 117
    No you don't HAVE to. As said, they wouldn't refuse you. I suppose it depends if you plan to live in camp or not. JP said it's just out of courtesy really but I'm glad he did.

I don't know where JP got his template from. He's away at the mo but he's back next week . I'll ask him & see if i can upload it for you x
    Thanks Lottie, that would be a major help as im struggling to write something or what to include.

Hope all your plans are going well

xx
  • mrsheron2bmrsheron2b Posts: 38
    MY H2B had to ask for permission. But it wasnt permission as such it was more of a formality so they knew he was getting married and could get the ball rolling on other things, if that makes sense? Were getting married abroad but at first intended getting married here so he was going to wear his tunic, so he had to inform them he was doing that... or something! xxx
    I have been on arrse/rear party website (army, navy etc forum websites - very useful!) and asked them about this and aparently it is standard to send a letter, its not so much for permission but as a courtesy thing. Even if they know your getting married. We are defo doing it, what harm is there even if we dont have too i would.

I am awaiting an email from a fellow rear party member with a templete of a letter, thank god as i was getting so stuck as too what to put!! lol

xxx
  • mrsheron2bmrsheron2b Posts: 38
    will you please email me the template too incase we need it? ill ask the h2b if he needs one but itll be good to have it just incase!!xxx
    Yeah of course i will hun, email me your email add and once i get the info i will pass it on to you

xxx
  • Faye1983, would you be able to send it to me 2? Do u think it would be the same format for all regiments?

xx
    Yeah its very simple, the guy who sent it me said dont be afraid to keep it simple and the letter he sent is simple but to the point.

Email me your email add and il forward it onto you hun

xxx
    And yeah the letter can be used for all reg etc

xx
  • xLottiexLottie Posts: 117
    Ah, I've only just managed to get JP's from him but it sounds as if you've got the same template JP has Faye.

It's all going so fast, only 97 days to go! I need to get my arse in gear now as we've so much to organize still! Well i say we . . .
    Hey Lottie, you couldnt send me it just to have a look may be helpfull and have someone on it this one doesn't. Could also be the same but worth having a nose if you have it.

97 days not long at all hun, exciting!!

Iv still got 180 days left! You looking forward to moving to Tidders? Is that where your'l be living??

• doll87doll87 Posts: 9
    H2b was told he needed to write a letter to ask permission but he spoke to his CO about it a few weeks after we got engaged and he said not to bother, so he hasn't. everyone's being really friendly though, they've given loads of useful info on moving to MQ - all the rds on the estate to steer clear of etc!
    were abouts will you be moving into MQs doll?

Ah all regs etc are different, and if his CO said not too bother than fair enough!!

xxx
    Will be moving to Colchester x
    Whens the wedding hun? How you finding planning around the army!? lol

xxx
    Wedding is 27th March next year, planning's been ok so far which has been a bit of a shock! lol when is your wedding? xx
    I know what you mean, iv found planning pretty easy so far, and not been stressed at all really. I expect that will change at some point though!! lol

We are getting married on 5th december so 5 and a half months to go!!

xxx
  • Do you know if the parmission to marry is just an army thing or does it apply for the RAF too? I'd never even considered!!!

xx
  • StressybrideStressybride Posts: 141
    Ive never heard of this?! Neither has H2B (hes in the raf).

He made an appointment to see his Flight Sergeant to say we were getting married and get the forms for housing people but we didnt have to write a letter.

All sounds a bit old school tbh.
  • I'm in the RAF my H2B isn't. I've heard about the permission to marry thing but I thought it was all old school. I might have to have a look in QR's and see if it's in there (There are lots of old stupid rules still in there!!) I might also ask around at work. Everyone knows we're getting married (It's all I talk about!! Lol)

I'll let you know how I get on.
    It is old school, but then the army is!! lol

I think it depends on the reg and what not. Some people dont some people do.

xxx
  • jadelpcjadelpc Posts: 104
    Hi

My H2B is in the army, and he has just written his letter - even though everyone knows already. I have had great response from his OC (female!) and even was sent loads of information and a letter when he recently went to Belize for 3 months even though it was before the letter went in - to welcome me. they have been great also at functions and when H2B went to Iraq last year they rang me to say that i could call him anytime and i am as much part of the regiment as Hubby.

I have just found a job near to his base (Tidworth) so i dont have to worry about getting married, moving from friends and family and starting a new job all at the same time!

We are getting married on New Years Eve, and i am surprised how quickly its coming round!image

I think the response you get all depends on the OC/CO/Sgt Mjr (or what rank the serving person is!)

Jade

Hey Jade my hubby2b is based in tidworth too.

We are getting married 3 weeks before you guys! I know what you mean about goin quick.

From what i gather you get helped out a lot if you follow what is known as the old school traditions, after all the army is full of old school traditions.

xxx
  • jadelpcjadelpc Posts: 104
    oh - what a small world!

Have you got everything sorted?

Now that i have moved (lived in Kent, worked in Medway, getting married in Essex and now live in Wiltshire!) its all getting harder because of the distance!!

Are you going to be taking up quarters or finding your own?

H2B is in 22.....

I'm glad i have found this forum, i am thinking its going to be useful in the months to come!image
    Pretty much most things sorted yeah. Still a few bits but i think im doing alright. H2B is away on tour so having to do it all myself!!

Mine is in 19, used to be in 32.

Yeah we'l be taking up quarters, im really excited about it!!

Iv found this forum so usefull

Do you know many people in Tidworth already?

xxx
  • lauramc3105lauramc3105 Posts: 462
    well...my h2b asked my mum for permission to ask to marry me!