what to put in a parcel for afghan?

Hey.

One if my good friends is out in Afghanistan and i.would love to send a parcel to her but dont really know what to put in it? Any ideas?

Thanks for any replies

• Tinned tuna, jars of hotdogs, noodles (defo!) sweeties, local newspapers, letter (defo) crackers, Anything non perishable that could be added to the boring ration packs of chicken and rice. Hope this helps! X
  • Haribo, magazines, a card with messages from friends and loved ones, a luxury item to pamper herself a little with such as a face mask or something, nice teabags.
  • Emma1311Emma1311 Posts: 130
    Thank you both for your replies.

Will get some bits tomorrow and write a little letter and get my little boy to paint a picture

Thanks for your help
  • BigBird78ukBigBird78uk Posts: 547
    Don't put crackers in them - they contain explosives and will result in the parcel being returned to you if they are checked.

Other ideas:

Babywipes

Toiletries like shower gel (they can get them out there, depending on where she is, but are expensive)

Chocolate OK but better something like mini eggs that have sugar coating as it will melt at some point during it's journey

Magazines go down well - nothing with risque pictures. When I wanted him to laugh, I'd send girly, trashy mags like 'Closer' which he can't stand

Crisps

Nuts

Energy tablets

Lip Salve

Sweets

Toys - balls/games

Crossword books

I sent Hungry Hippos across at one point... that went down a storm

Coffee and Tea

Little sachets of ketchup that you get in restaurants

Little sachets of anything (shower gel etc) that you find anywhere

Joke stuff like sunglasses, slinky springs, etc

Chewing Gum

Boiled Sweets

I sent things like Spam (he hates it)or useless pieces of string when I wanted to be funny

I also wrapped his parcel up in Disney Princess wrapping paper, rather than boring brown paper - caused a lot of ribbing

Loads of stuff - just grab stuff off the shelves when you go to a supermarket. image
    Thank you soo much. I really had no clue as never sent anything out before.

Got a magazines and some sweets today. Wil get smellies with my tesco order and other bits and bobs. Thank you
  • TickleyJessTickleyJess Posts: 1,649
    You can buy individual, well-wrapped mini celebration cakes covered in fondant from M&S (as well as other places, I would imagine). We sent them to my father on his birthday and he loved them.

Powdered deodorant also goes down well, as do thick socks, apparently. They're good for the chafing from the boots and it gets cold at night. x
  • his-smudgehis-smudge Posts: 282
    We sent things like haribo and pringles, photos, letters (hand written not typed) nudey mags are banned but if you put them inside another mag (like a computer gaming mag) it can get through. BigBirds ideas are fab - hungry hippos, brilliant! xx
  • raspberry_jamraspberry_jam Posts: 616
    Quoted:
    Don't put crackers in them - they contain explosives and will result in the parcel being returned to you if they are checked.

Other ideas:

Babywipes

Toiletries like shower gel (they can get them out there, depending on where she is, but are expensive)

Chocolate OK but better something like mini eggs that have sugar coating as it will melt at some point during it's journey

Magazines go down well - nothing with risque pictures. When I wanted him to laugh, I'd send girly, trashy mags like 'Closer' which he can't stand

Crisps

Nuts

Energy tablets

Lip Salve

Sweets

Toys - balls/games

Crossword books

Coffee and Tea

Chewing Gum

Boiled Sweets

I sent things like Spam (he hates it)or useless pieces of string when I wanted to be funny

I also wrapped his parcel up in Disney Princess wrapping paper, rather than boring brown paper - caused a lot of ribbing

Loads of stuff - just grab stuff off the shelves when you go to a supermarket.

Hahahaha I meant eating crackers!!! No explosives in those! image
  • We used to send our son:

herbs, basil, oregano and garlic to make the rations taste a little better, so they wouldnt think it was something else we used to put it in the box but flatten it a little

You cannot send Jars, Glass, aerosols etc

Hard sweets as when my sons was there it was summer and jelly type sweets used to be a jelly cake by the time he got them

packs of biscuits

chewing gum

wet ones, so when out at fob or patrol they can wash themselves

lollies

toiletries

sun cream, moisturiser, foot talc, toys silly things like frisby, even blow up beach balls

quiz books, comics

someone received a sponge cake once it was all in bits they ate it with spoons
    Thank You all for your replies. They have all been really helpful!
  • MrsJaymo2BMrsJaymo2B Posts: 56
    My fiance is out there at the moment and I sent parcels out every 4 or 5 days!

If you've got a 99p shop or similar near you, they're brilliant for sweets/cakes/general nibbles to send out - alot with long dates on too!
  • BigBird78ukBigBird78uk Posts: 547
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Other ideas:

Babywipes

Crisps

Nuts

Energy tablets

Lip Salve

Sweets

Toys - balls/games

Crossword books

Coffee and Tea

Chewing Gum

Boiled Sweets

Loads of stuff - just grab stuff off the shelves when you go to a supermarket.

Hahahaha I meant eating crackers!!! No explosives in those!

Oops image image
  • sweets sweets and more sweets! they like giving them out to those who dont receive too many parcels. my hubby to be is big into star wars, so little glue-together airfix type kits were good for him, if she likes making things little projects work well

xx

• when my friends go out (and i have recieved similar myself) i always visit the kids craft sections of wilko's or asda and get stupid stuff like painting by numbers sets or a pirate hat making set. sent a finger puppet kit out and that was well recieved. things like that. food normally gets shared out amongst the sections people work in.

• my partners not long gone to germany but i made him alittle book full of pictures and memories and sent him it as the first few weeks were hard and he loved it. along side of this i sent little games he could play on like some pokemon cards and stuff. sounds mad but he had some fun with them, and plenty of letters and begun a game of o and x's with him in each of our letters. its funny when you do because you both anticipate getting the next move back!

Debs

• MrsNoelMrsNoel Posts: 486
    Depends where she is. I'm out there at the moment and if she's at a MOB she'll want different things to if she's in a PB. The further out from the wire, the more she'll want normal home comforts. If she's based permanently in Bastion, don't bother with stuff like baby wipes, she'll have unlimited access to decent showers for example.

If its a winter tour stuff like chocolate is fine otherwise as it gets later in the year it'll be liquidimage hot chocolate sachets are good also puzzle books and magazines. We like snacky stuff like crisps and cereal bars - the world and his dog sends sweets so they're something a bit different. Also things like cupasoups and pasta pots are great.