Forum home Archived Forum rules

Obligation

Bit of a sticky situation!!

My boyfriend and myself will be hosting our own wedding - I don't get on with my step-dad and when mum discovered he wasn't on my early guest list she seemed a bit annoyed (possibly worse than that cos she didn't talk to me for a few days).

Should I feel obliged to invite my step-dad even though I don't get on with him, or do I invite him cos he's my mum's husband.

I don't feel that I should invite him as I believe you are meant to have people at your wedding that you care about!

Before anyone asks my own dad passed away some years ago and my brother will be giving me away - so my step-dad's not necessary for the proceedings!!

:\? :\? :\?

• Dear c2vct

This is a tricky one. I am in a similar situation as Im not the biggest fan of my mothers "new" husband. However, I am very close to my Mum and it would be awful to think she was not totally enjoying the day with us if her husband were not there. It takes a lot of humility to accept that maybe you will have to compromise on this one and yes It is YOUR big day but much better to have your mum there with you with her support and happiness.

You dont have to spend any tme around him that isnt necessary so dont feel obliged to strike up conversation. You would have done your bit by inviting him.

Just remember all your family and friends that you really care about will be there and that is what will make it a special day.

I hope this helps.

Cx
  • Dear C2vct

Do you want to be able to get on with your step dad or would you be happy to go through the rest of your life without him in it?! Could be a good time to make him feel like a part of it? My parents divorced when I was very young and I had years of not liking/getting on with my step parents but I'm happy to say we are fine now and they will play a big part in my wedding. My h2b has similar feelings as you towards his mums partner but he hates the idea of his mum being unhappy at our wedding -hopefully by making them feel a part my h2b will have things that him and his mums partner can talk/laugh about in the future and build their relationship on it.