Forum home Archived Forum rules

Stressing about saving...

Hi new to here and just really wanted to back up advice ect as got 15 months and need to save big time!

How did u do it ?Xx image

• gemskatgemskat Posts: 692
    Work out how much you both earn per month, take away your bills like mortgage, gas, electric, car insurance, mobile phone, landline, sky, any health or dental insurance, broadband and any other direct debits, then take away any credit card payments that you have to make each month, this will leave you with your monthly cash. Take away petrol or transport costs and realistically work out how much you can spend on food each month (we do ours online as it means we don't pick up random items), look at the amount that's left and think what is realistic to save. If by the end of the month after looking at what you can cut back (takeaways, nights out, cinema etc) take what is realistic and put it in your saving account. Any birthday/christmas money you get goes in there. Calculate how much you've got saved each month times that the number of months until the wedding, and that will give you your maximum number. Never aim for the maximum as you will have to dip in to the wedding fund, for car repairs, a bigger bill than expected, so we aimed for £3k under the maximum amount. You can do a wedding on £1k and it will be just as good as a wedding thats £20k!
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    as soon as i have paid my rent and bills i put everything else into different account and squirl it away. if i think i have no money and its not there to spend then its easy. i earn almost nothing but i am managing to save £200 a month and over 20 months it works out quite nicely image
  • Quoted:
    as soon as i have paid my rent and bills i put everything else into different account and squirl it away. if i think i have no money and its not there to spend then its easy. i earn almost nothing but i am managing to save £200 a month and over 20 months it works out quite nicely

I like this idea. I think I shall do this! lol

But yes Gemskat has some very good advice there! image

xxxx
  • Make yourself a budget spreadsheet for your household expenses as well, it worked really well for us as we could keep track of every penny!