Would You Get Married on Christmas Day??

When our vicar came round the other evening we were discussing Christmas etc and he happened to say it used to be very popular for people to marry on Christmas day, but nowadays not so much. He said he hasn't married someone on Christmas Day for a very long time.

It wouldn't even cross my mind to marry on Christmas Day although I love the thought of a christmassy wedding (which is why I am getting married in December)

Did you consider it? Or would you like to marry on Christmas Day but can't for some reason?

• Hi, id love to get married on christmas day but dont think my family would be to pleased.

We wanted to get married on the 21st of dec this year but could not afford christmas and a wedding, my nana would have been 100 on that day, but never mind i think it would be great.
  • I would yeah, it's would be even more magical!

I think I'd get married any day to be honest!! image x
  • NickiKittenNickiKitten Posts: 2,074
    No, how expensive would that be!
  • emzltemzlt Posts: 395
    No, I don't think it would be fair to ask people to disrupt their family gatherings (when it might be the only time n the year ithey see each other) to come to my wedding.

Plus, reception venue costs would be extortionate.
  • clarryclarry Posts: 3,311
    Oooh no - that would mean messing christmas up for everyone!

• No way, i like christmas day with my kids and rest of the family. No one would come if it was xmas day!!
  • No I couldnt, as I love christmas so much and I couldnt share it with anything.

xx
  • cressydec08cressydec08 Posts: 1,474
    Erm... no I wouldn't... as a Christian it is the third holiest day of the year for me (Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday being the two holiest).

Isaac's uncle is a vicar and I know he has been asked about a Christmas Day wedding a couple of times during the last two or three years. However, both couples were unhappy as he couldn't marry them at the times they wanted, as he had services at those times. One bride even asked him to MOVE his service! Cheeky cow!

[Modified by: Cressy on November 29, 2008 05:05 PM]

• biliboibiliboi Posts: 1,377
    I think it would be a selfish and self indulgent thing to do. And wouldnt be surprised if no one turned up!
  • ScottEasbyScottEasby Posts: 1,271
    I would.. without hesitation!
  • I agree ia001160, it would be totally selfish!!
  • I agree ia001160, it would be totally selfish!!
  • I wouldn't, I love Christmas too much as Christmas and an event in it's self - its so special to me anyway without combining it with my wedding day and then future anniversaries!
  • no and mainly because i think its cruel to the staff who would have to work at reception etc, i think its disgusting that my mate has to work xmas day anyway (i just think everything stops lol, she works in a hotel!)

xx
  • I wouldn't because I don't think it would be fair on all the guests as they would probably rather be celebrating Christmas with their families than at my wedding!! And also, I'm looking forward to celebrating my wedding anniversary each year with my husband and if it was Christmas day too it wouldn't be a special spearate celebration! xx
  • vics8vics8 Posts: 1,873
    I wouldn't want to marry on Christmas day.

Apart from it making it very difficult for friends and family (especially those with children) to attend due to their family commitments, not to mention cost (prices of local hotels on Christmas day is usually double if not more), it would mean (selfishly) sharing 2 special days as one.

I'm getting married on the 20th December so I think i'm getting the best of both worlds....the Christmassy feel but it will be our special day, then we have Christmas day to celebrate soon after.

xxx
  • Not Christmas Day but a few days before would be lovely!
  • id like a november wedding! weather is lovely and crisp atm image early darkness makes for fantastic mood lighting too!
  • I wouldn't want to get married on Christmas Day. Aside from the fact that half my family work on Christmas Day (an awful lot of hospitality workers on my side lol), i'd definitely want my anniversary to be on a separate day to fully celebrate it. Besides, it's also h2b's brother's birthday, so I think three events on one day would be a bit excessive!!!
  • sh0rtyuksh0rtyuk Posts: 1,379
    No, People want to celebrate xmas not be at a wedding, its not fair on them. Also how expensive would it be to celebrate your anniversary? Carzy!
  • I had a blind date with my h2b on Christmas Day 2017 and we had chatted online and it was the best meeting I’d ever had a love at first sight 

we got engaged Christmas Day 2018 

and we are due to get married Christmas Day this year 

we do understand that families can’t always come as have other engagements so we get married in church and are being included in the Christmas service which is an honour , then we fly to Cambodia for a month honeymoon and have a reception in February when we get home , I have read all different opinions on this and yes it’s not a usual day but it’s more special to us than anything and we have made allowances  for all our family they spend a few hours with us while we take our vows then celebrate our wedding on a different date 

and on another plus side I get to wear my dress twice and have photos of our wedding up on show at our reception , and just one more thing 

it’s cost us no more than a normal wedding if not less by getting married on Christmas Day x 
  • biliboi said:
    I think it would be a selfish and self indulgent thing to do. And wouldnt be surprised if no one turned up!
    Just wanted to reply to this , we have asked a limited amount of people to our Christmas Day wedding and saying it is selfish And self indulgent thing is rather rude when you don’t actually know the people who are getting married this day means everything to us and the family that are coming know this that’s why they will be coming and that’s why there happy to come 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,846 New bride
    biliboi said:
    Just wanted to reply to this , we have asked a limited amount of people to our Christmas Day wedding and saying it is selfish And self indulgent thing is rather rude when you don’t actually know the people who are getting married this day means everything to us and the family that are coming know this that’s why they will be coming and that’s why there happy to come 
    You are replying to comments from 11 years ago....