Forum home General chat

HELP ME PLEASE!! I cant stop biting my nails!

Hi all,

Could someone help me please. i am due to get married in Sept 09 and can't stop biting my nails. I have tried every lotion and potion out there and have even tried wearing gloves! I had nail exyensions a while ago and these worked,my nails grew underneath and looked stunning after, but within 6 months I had bitten them. I have chewed them so short now that I don't think nail extensions will have enough to stay on now!!!:\? I have been wearing false glue on nails but my own won't grow underneath.

Is there anybody out there that can help, or knows anyone who can do miracles with nail extensions. I live in the worcestershire area.

I even considering hypnosis!!!

• Hi yeska

I know what you're going through, I bit my nails for 25 years and thought I'd never stop even though I hated doing it. I tried everything, I even got to like the taste of those potions that are supposed to be so horrid you can't bear to bite.

This is going to sound a bit soppy but the thing that made me stop was getting engaged. I looked down at the beautiful ring on my horrible finger and R said 'I'm not marrying you if you're nails are all chewed on our wedding day' and I stopped, just like that, now I wonder why I never managed before. Use one of those lovely wedding photos of entwined hands as inspiration, can you imaging bitten nails in that?

Mine are now really soft and the white part is massive because they were bitten down so far but I'm so proud of myself and I think they look beautiful, my engagement ring looks so much better now!

It was sheer will power and a really good incentive.

Good luck

xx

• i bit mine for years, since i was a child and my h2b bought me some stuff from tesco, can't remeber the name buts its clear orange stuff. Tastes foul but is great, i only used it for 3 weeks and i haven't bitten them since and that was in january. Its good if you bite them without realising, just make sure you have a drink on you to start
  • i'd tried all the stop n grow type things and non of them worked then I used Sally Hansen one which i think is what Bridezilla to be button used. It is disgusting and worked a treat,
  • Have you tried gel on your nails? It makes them really hard and will allow them to grow. It might be harder to bite through them with several coats of gel on. Perhaps try it nearer the wedding and the thought of stubby broken nails in your wedding photos might help motivate you

[Modified by: Mrs stephh78 on December 02, 2008 07:36 PM]

• I have bitten my nails ever since I can remember. When we got engaged (Aug 07), I stopped for a while but started again. :\(

Then I stopped again in Dec 07, for a while, but - eventually - after I'd had nail extensions on and off - I started again. :\( That was July this year, and I just haven't been able to stop either. *sigh*

It is all about will-power though, because the time I went the longest (this year), I just made a point of making them look lovely all the time. It's a little bit time-consuming, but it's worth it. *nods*

I'm now going to stop for Christmas - I've decided. And I hope hope hope it'll last!! Growl!!!!
  • I've always been a nail biter too and tried everything from the Nail Biter and Stop n Grow stuff to paying a pound every time someone caught me biting my nails!

What eventually worked for me was a hypnotherapy cd I bought online. I think his name was David Knight. Listened to it 3 times and stopped biting my nails.

I would add that my life has been particularly stressful recently and I have been biting my nails again but I'm convinced that another couple of listens to the cd will sort it out! (And less stress maybe too!!)

Good luck!

D x
  • kathrynoukkathrynouk Posts: 2,250
    Quoted:
    i bit mine for years, since i was a child and my h2b bought me some stuff from tesco, can't remeber the name buts its clear orange stuff. Tastes foul but is great, i only used it for 3 weeks and i haven't bitten them since and that was in january. Its good if you bite them without realising, just make sure you have a drink on you to start

I was going to suggest this still. It is blooming horrible and I use it whenever i am stressed as I stop bitting them instantly. Just be warned no finger food!!!
  • Quoted:
    I've always been a nail biter too and tried everything from the Nail Biter and Stop n Grow stuff to paying a pound every time someone caught me biting my nails!

What eventually worked for me was a hypnotherapy cd I bought online. I think his name was David Knight. Listened to it 3 times and stopped biting my nails.

I would add that my life has been particularly stressful recently and I have been biting my nails again but I'm convinced that another couple of listens to the cd will sort it out! (And less stress maybe too!!)

Good luck!

D x

Wow, that CD's going on my Christmas list!! image
  • I bit my nails for years and even now I have the odd moment.

The best thing that you can do is to start carrying a nail file with you EVERYWHERE!!! And I really mean everywhere.

The reason why you bite them is because there is a tag or an uneven bit which means that you can get your teeth under it and pull. The minute you put your fingers anywhere near your mouth you have to whip that file out and file the nail smooth. It really is a case of mind over matter. Don't worry about them being short at the moment. The whole nail regrows itself from root to tip in about six weeks. If you keep them really short at first it will help them to grow stronger.

I used all the potions under the sun and absolutely loved the taste of them by the end. The ONLY thing that worked for me was the fact that if you think about it, your nails are actually really really dirty underneath because you pick up all sorts of germs all day. When you put your fingers in your mouth it is akin to licking the dirtiest toilet you can think of. Whenever I wanted to bite them I would just picture the disgusting school toilets we used to have and it would make me feel physically sick. It also stopped me long enough to whip out the nail file and file it down!!

You can do it but you will need a LOT of willpower. Nothing else will really work because you have to really WANT to stop biting your nails. It is really worth it in the end though. I love my nails at the moment and like another poster said, it really makes your ring look amazing.

Oh another tip (sorry this is SO long) is one my beautician gve me and that is to ALWAYS have polish on your nails. I use red a lot because it makes me more aware of my nails and I can see them when I go to put them in my mouth and bite them. I have quite weak nails that peel and I don't bite them much any more but I will pick them apart by peeling the layers so I always keep polish on them and just keep re-appyling it whenever it chips because it is really bad for them if you keep taking polish on and off. Try to keep it on a week at a time and then when you do take it off, pour some olive oil or vegetable oil into a dish and just soak your nails in it for about half an hour. It really nourishes them and will help them grow faster.

Phew!! image Hope you managed to read all that!! Good luck!!

C&C xx
  • olisseolisse Posts: 1,280
    I used the nail polish route too - I didn't have any luck with the potions as I liked the taste of them all right from the start! Nail extensions just made me feel odd as I went from having no nails to long nails and it didn't feel like me. But then a friend recommended keeping my nails polished and when I looked at my hands with their nail polish on I couldn't bite them any more! Even just clear polish worked for me and that wasn't so noticeable if it got chipped.

I still fall of the wagon now and then image but at the moment I have 10 long, healthy nails!!
  • Hi - I know excately how you feel image

Ever since I can remember I bit my nails and skin around my fingers. It drove me mad until 2 months ago. As a last resort I went to see a hypnosis - I was nevous - but he did not actually put me to sleep I was fully awake and remember everything and to this day my nails look great..... Now I'm conscious about it I don't do it.

It's all in the sub conscious mind :\) Go for it - you will be fine

Good luck
  • XTinksXXTinksX Posts: 568
    Hi,

Wanted to second the excellent advice from chocolates and champagne.

I too am a lifelong biter and often don't realise I'm doing it until my fingers bleed! Its horrible, and a complete aditction.

I'm already married, and on my hen weekend a had a manicure and the lady told me my nails would never recover in time for the wedding 3 months off. I was determined!

We ladies are always going to be fixated by nails. My solution was - I put together a manicure set with oil, clippers, file etc, and everytime I put finger to mouth, I looked at my nails and thought how they'd improve, them whipped out the oil to soften the skin. I used that stuff a million times a day and by the time they were longer, I was so proud of them that I kept it up.

By the wedding they were gorgeous, then I went and ruined it by having a set of acryllics done at a poor salon (had a recommendation!). I was so paranoid that one natural nail would break that I wanted to cover up all my hard work anyway, this was a big mistake. And the acryllics were badly done so they lifted early and my natural nails were ruined. Took 6 months to grow out!

My advice would be- nail oil and lots of it. Good luck xx

• XTinksXXTinksX Posts: 568
    Hi,

Wanted to second the excellent advice from chocolates and champagne.

I too am a lifelong biter and often don't realise I'm doing it until my fingers bleed! Its horrible, and a complete aditction.

I'm already married, and on my hen weekend a had a manicure and the lady told me my nails would never recover in time for the wedding 3 months off. I was determined!

We ladies are always going to be fixated by nails. My solution was - I put together a manicure set with oil, clippers, file etc, and everytime I put finger to mouth, I looked at my nails and thought how they'd improve, them whipped out the oil to soften the skin. I used that stuff a million times a day and by the time they were longer, I was so proud of them that I kept it up.

By the wedding they were gorgeous, then I went and ruined it by having a set of acryllics done at a poor salon (had a recommendation!). I was so paranoid that one natural nail would break that I wanted to cover up all my hard work anyway, this was a big mistake. And the acryllics were badly done so they lifted early and my natural nails were ruined. Took 6 months to grow out!

My advice would be- nail oil and lots of it. Good luck xx

• sdasilvauksdasilvauk Posts: 3,050
    I stopped earlier this yr after 20 odd yrs of biting. Something clicked and i though "jesus woman, your nails look horrible!!" i gave myself a months to stop and promised myself a lovely manicure at the end. I now have great nails, get them done once a week at a salon (just file and repolish) and am so glad!!

You can do it, honestly. Just think about how horrible they are, and how sad you will be to have bad nails on your wedding!
  • Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know I went and got some nail oil last week after you suggested it, and so far I haven't bit my nails, I just keep thinking about the big day and how nice they will be if I don't nibble!!! Alos I want them to look good for when we go and look at the wedding rings. Fingers crossed I can be strong and not be temted!

Thanku all for ur good advise, I will keep you all posted as to how it goes.

I hope I haven't jinxed myself now!!!!!!!
  • pouvrypouvry Posts: 1,000
    Good luck - hope you are succeeding! Chocolate and CHampagne's advice works - it is how I stopped. Just wanted to add that if you find yourself with your nail in your mouth, do not be tempted just to continue biting! Always stop immediately and use your nail file to even out the nail. Stops that, "oh well, I've started now" thing. xx
  • That's often my problem, Snail. Even after reading this thread today, I found myself with my finger in my mouth and thought, "Oh well, I'll just get this niggling bit, and then I'll stop." Just stop! image
  • Hi all, it's been ages sice i wrote on here, so wanted to quikly update you all. I now have beautifull long nails!!! They are fab and I love them! I now even have to file and cut them down, which is mad as before I had nothing! I used the oil and file and then found this stuff on ebay from USA, it tastes vile but god it works!!!! I even got my sister and daughter wearing it and they haven't nibbled theirs either for weeks. It work instantly ,amazing! Just wanted to thank u all for all ur great advise and encouragement, I just hope they stay like this for the wedding in September!!! I'm actually treating myself to a manicure in a couple of weeks!!!!! image
  • LindaCLindaC Posts: 1

For as long as I can remember I have been biting my nails and picking at my skin surrounding the nail. I would often spend hours subconsciously picking at the skin around my nail, sometimes to the point where it would bleed and get infected. Every time I would get motivated to finally break the habit and stop biting my nails, I felt like there was no product that could possibly help me until I stumbled across a product that worked for me. Bitter Gold is a clear odorless nail serum that is applied on nails like nail polish. The nail serum strengthens the nail, while healing the dry skin around the nail for those who pick the skin and tastes so bitter you won’t want to put your fingers in your mouth. Not only, did it help me stop biting my nails, but my nails grew in stronger than ever. I really recommend everyone who bites their nails to give Bitter Gold a try. I also recommend nail biters to read this helpful article to learn really how to quit that nasty habit.

www.bittergoldnails.com

https://www.healthambition.com/how-to-stop-biting-your-nails/

• PJ62PJ62 Posts: 16

I bite my nails and even though I stopped for a while and they did grow, they were so weak and kept breaking!

I decided to go to the nail shop to have my nails done for my hen night and they look lovely so I am going to have them again for my wedding next Thursday! 

Its taken so much stress off me and I will also have lovely looking nails for a change!! I am hoping that having my nails look so lovely will give me the incentive to grow them after the wedding!