Recommend an Ethical Charity I can donate clothes too.

i have bags and bags of stuff to go to charity, but have been reading about rag merchants making profit on the items that aren't sold in charity shops, and this just doesn't sit confortable with me trying to do a good deed.. i'd like the clothes to go direct to those anyone in need of them, anywhere in the world, so long as no middle man.

Thanks

• oxfam?
  • gymmonstergymmonster Posts: 5,523
    id rather not donate to a shop as this is where i have read the rag traders get involved. .looking for someone who sends them direct.
  • ooh yeah I heard some girl say on the radio she'd donated clothes and never saw them sold- how about the clothes bins for 3rd world they have at the tip?- think it goes direct x
  • gymmonstergymmonster Posts: 5,523
    yes i read that.. says the clothes bins have charity names on them but also can belong to rag traders.. which is fine no objection to them making a living, just not what I want to do when I donate to charity..
  • just tried a quick google search myself (have loads of old clothes due to weight change) why do they make it so hard to donate?
  • KarolinaWKarolinaW Posts: 1,313
    I have a friend who works for FARA charity supporting Romania. They sell the clothes and the money goes over there. She says it's pretty genuine.

But the most trustworthy one are the church missions. I belong to a catholic church and they tend not to sell the clothes but actually send them to Africa to the missions they have there.

In my country they organise it through local newspapers or you can directly take the clothes to the centres where they're distributed to the poor and homeless - all done by volunteers (vicars, students etc) who take no money for their work.

Whichever way you do it, there's always a niggling thought in the back of your mind whether you're really helping someone or just making some con men rich!

My h2b said I should not pay for the RSPCA because the money does not go towards the animal, but some big fat director, who sits on his ass all day smoking cuban cigars image... if this is any true - who on earth knows, but it gets you thinking!!!!!

xx K
  • its good not to think like that (although hard not to be cynical) so many national charities dont get the money meant for them- perhaps better to donate locally- although not curing the major issue you can at least see where its going- where I live we have local missions that help in poor parts of Africa and local animal welfare trusts
  • KarolinaWKarolinaW Posts: 1,313
    see michreynolds - I try not to. And I am sure the media do not do it any favours too. I work on High Street Ken in London, there's not a single day that I would not get harrassed by charity collectors. Plus if you do not give they make you feel guity. There's no way you can provide for all!

I have just watched Secret Millionaire - how it changed my life, and my donating spirit woken up again. I used to donate to Amnesty International, then I got piid off with them for sending me stupid magazines and newsletters, instead of spending the money on the opressed women in Iran and close by.

I also paid for other various charities, but again - they spend way too much money on campaings and board meetings. I also belonged to Greenpeace (in my rebel years) and again got annoyed seeing big fat managing directors earning around £70,000 up per annum.

So you're right local charities are the ones fighting for the good causes and suffer from the bad fame of the big charity organisations.

• supertabbysupertabby Posts: 1,125
    Quoted:
    ooh yeah I heard some girl say on the radio she'd donated clothes and never saw them sold- how about the clothes bins for 3rd world they have at the tip?- think it goes direct x

Although I do know that charity shops don't put donations out straight away, eg if they get coats or party dresses donated in May they'll store them until the run up to Christmas as they're more likely to get a better sale from them then. But not disputing the issue that some donations might not end up in the right place of course.

We get loads of donation bags through our door - you know the type where you fill it up and leave it out on Wednesday etc - and we regularly get one which says in small print that it is a business, not a charity. It justifies itself as doing a good deed because the clothes are sorted in Africa and gives people there a wage, plus the clothes then get sold cheaply to Africans who can't afford new clothes. Maybe they are doing a good thing but I've never felt comfortable with it - I usually donate to MacMillian or Oxfam.
  • piru662piru662 Posts: 434
    I heard a whole programme about this on radio 4 and TBH most of the stuff they think will sell may get moved around the country or even sold on ebay. They then sell big bundles to people in 3rd world countries (at low prices) to encourage self supporting work. Oxfam are actually very good at this.

otherwise, homeless or battered womens charities and churches in poorer areas where the items are generally useful in the immediate area