Dresses - did you just know?

I have been engaged for a while and have looked at wedding dresses in a few shops but only today did I try some on. i love two of them, they are both gorgeous but not what i had in mind. what i did have in mind looked awful on me!!! but for those of you that have picked your dresses, did you just know it was THE dress or did you just take the one that you looked the best in. I do have plently of time to go dress shopping but I did just wonder, I tried on six dresses today.. and i loved two of them but didnt feel like I was totally a bride yet,,, i hope that makes sense to someone!!

• SnowyPSnowyP Posts: 1,115
    I think you've just got to bear in mind - what your wedding day is actually about. It's about marrying the man (or woman) you love!!

So don't worry about feeling any unnecessary pressure to get a perfect dress.

I only tried on four or five dresses and went for the final one I tried on. I realised big princess styles didn't suit me and I suited more the slender types.

Then I realised I didn't suit plain dresses - or very ivory dresses because they washed me out!

I tried on a gold lacey dress and it just made me shine. Was great for my colour, made my skin look great. I also chose the dress because it was light and easy to move in. Was different.

AND it wasn't hot or sufficating to wear like some of the big heavy styles. And that's how I chose my dress.

I feel gorgeous in it. Slim, comfy and it does wonders for me.

So just do as you would with any clothes shop. Go for something that suits your shape and makes your skin glow! Go with your instinct and take someone along who will give their honest opinion.

I didn't know what to expect at all and went to bridal shops with a huge open mind!

Good luck xxx
    I think you've just got to bear in mind - what your wedding day is actually about. It's about marrying the man (or woman) you love!!

I only tried on four or five dresses and went for the final one I tried on. I realised big princess styles didn't suit me and I suited more the slender types.

Then I realised I didn't suit plain dresses - or very ivory dresses because they washed me out!

I tried on a gold lacey dress and it just made me shine. Was great for my colour, made my skin look great. I also chose the dress because it was light and easy to move in. Was different.

AND it wasn't hot or sufficating to wear like some of the big heavy styles. And that's how I chose my dress.

So just do as you would with any clothes shop. Go for something that suits your shape and makes your skin glow! Go with your instinct and take someone along who will give their honest opinion.

I didn't know what to expect at all and went to bridal shops with a huge open mind!

Good luck xxx

Good luck xxx

Good luck xxx
  • thats so funny the amount of times your message has come up!!

I am going with an open mind. I know its not all about the dress, believe me... its taken me nearly a year to start looking for one!! I know its just about marrying my lovely fiancee, but I do want a dress thats just me!! I can feel sooooooooooooooo many shopping hours coming on!!

I did have a howler of a dress on today though, i didnt realise how heavy it was until the lady pulled it off over my head, man alive!!! It was like a disney character brought to life!!!!
  • TherasaukTherasauk Posts: 1,090
    the dress I had in mind originally looked all wrong on me! I ended up wearing something so unexpected, and not like me, but looked and felt far better!

You will know when you try it!
    the dress I had in mind originally looked all wrong on me! I ended up wearing something so unexpected, and not like me, but looked and felt far better!

• Ok I hope this doesnt post 3 times too...here goes.... I looked through lots of dresses, tones of magazines etc. I decided on just one that I saw on a webpage, I went and tried just that one on and bought the one!!!! I loved it so much, I still love it and feel smug to myself when other people dont have my dress just because I love it so much. I watch wedding programmes and I tell h2b 'my dress is nicer' hehehe!!!!!!

I see peoples dresses on here though when they are wearing them in their wedding pics and everyone looks beautiful because they have picked something personal to them, it's always gonna be a personal choice and I do think you will just know whats going to work on you!!!!

Good Luck xxxxx
  • clareabellaclareabella Posts: 3,001
    Hi,

I tried on a few dresses but i did have a 'the one' moment, though it was with a dress that i had seen on the rail and picked out as one i liked, it just happened to look perfect on me, and i was almost in tears.

Your dress should make you feel like a bride, and it should look just right on you!

You'll get the one for you, but don't feel downhearted if you don't get it first time!

cx
  • When i went looking for my dress i had my mind set on a slinky dress,maybe a fishtail style but ended up going for the complete opposite as the lady in the shop urged me to try on different styles. I have bought a two piece which is a heavily beaded strapless bodice and a full taffeta skirt which i fell in love with as soon as i put it on (wasn't that keen when i saw it on the hanger).

I did know it was the one after i saw it on me but didn't realise that i would go for this style.

Good luck with choosing your dress x
  • woops - posted twice! x

[Modified by: happytimes on December 31, 2008 10:01 AM]

• Hi! My story is a bit different,...........

I knew all along what type I wanted....slim, sparkly, floaty, oscary type (marrying abroad, and not fond of big dresses anyway.) I knew all along what I didnt want (Im very fussy!) Knew I didnt want tafetta, lace or satin, a train, a fishtail or a big skirt. I did try these types on, and as I knew, I didnt like them,

Anyway, I chose one dress (melinda by maggie) and when it came, I thought 'yes it looks ok on me'. Its a gorgeous dress, but my boobs looked big (I have a thing about my boobs) and the train was too big, and I didnt really feel special. So I put it on ebay. BAck to dress shopping again.

I then found another - saw it in a mag, tried it on twice and then bought it. Although I love the dress Ive chosen, because ofthe type of person I am, I never got the 'Oh my god - this is my dress' feeling. I never cried or even felt emotionaI. Just felt it was the right look I wanted, made me feel slim and elegant. Im also altering it, having things added, so eventally, it will be my perfect dress. Im kind of hoping on the day when its finished, and I have my jewellery on/hiar/make p etc I may just get the feeling?!!!!

Its hanging up upstairs though, and when I look at it (I unzip it now and again) I think how lovely and sparkly it is, and it makes me excited for the day. I think that maybe as good as I'll get!!!