Forum home General chat

Sleep tips?

As you can probably see if you look at my posting times, I don't sleep very well. It never bothered me too much but having lived with my fiance for a while now when home from uni I have noticed it more and it annoys him a bit. Anyway, I leave uni this year and my wedding is next year so i think it's time I got my beauty sleep in order ready for the big day! Has anyone got any tips for the perfect nights sleep? Or at least some tips on how to get to sleep in the first place? (apart from getting off this website which I suppose would be a start!) xx

• puntobabepuntobabe Posts: 446
    I'm also a troubled sleeper, I occationally take Calms Sleeping Tablets (which you can purchase from most supermarkets), I find these do help.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • juliabird1juliabird1 Posts: 158
    Read a book for a while, always makes me tired, even if I only last a few pages! And if youre living with your fiance, theres always something you can do together that might help you sleep......? Well its worth a try!
  • Lou_1986Lou_1986 Posts: 1,584
    i use Kalms aswell they are a natural kind of tablet that just helps you get into a regular sleeping routine as i am one for going to bed knackered but then thinking about stupid things till i tire myself out from it!! hope you find something that works jules
  • SARAHMukSARAHMuk Posts: 9
    THE ONLY TIP I CAN GIVE YOU IS DONT GET MARRIED OR RATHER DONT PLAN A WEDDING ... I SWEAR MOST NIGHTS I JUST CANT SLEEP THINKING ABOUT STUPID THINGS LIKE TABLE SETTINGS, SENDING INVITES & EVEN RUNNING THE DAY THROUGH MY HEAD FROM WAKING UP...... IM JUST SO EXCITED.
  • CherrymaiCherrymai Posts: 185
    I was watching This Morning the other day and there was a feature on stress and sleeping and although some people believe you shouldnt eat after a certain time at night as it makes you put on weight, the lady said that it was not true and suggested eating a small bowl of rice pudding or porridge as a snack before bed as it is relaxing and fills your tummy until morning!
  • helenwileshelenwiles Posts: 215
    i have tried camomile tea which seems to help. it tastes disgusting (make sure you hold your nose and take abig gulp) but it seems to do the trick. i suppose it is worth a try X
  • cut out drinking tea and coffee or anything with caffiene in after about 6, it has made such a difference, de caf tea is a god send! I have had a normal cup of tea for the last couple of evenings and it has kept me up for ages and i woke up both nights, didn't realise it made such a difference! My sister is exactly the same. Kalms are great too though and isn't eating lettuce meant to have sleep inducing qualities or something? Worth a try i suppose!
  • A good way of approaching poor sleep is to think about "sleep hygeine". Essentially this means establishing a set routine for winding down in the evening (e.g., no work after a certain time; doing something relaxing such as reading a trashy book or listening to relaxing music; avoiding caffeine too close to bedtime), getting ready for bed (e.g., relaxing bath; getting on those pjs), and then getting ready for sleep (e.g., reading briefly in bed). Other ideas are to avoid working/studying in the room that you sleep in, and also avoid watching TV, so that you make sure your bedroom is associated with sleeping. If you wake up and can't get back to sleep, it's often helpful to get up (rather than lying fretfully in bed) and read and go back to bed when you're feeling sleepy. IF you find that you have anxious thoughts which are keeping you from sleeping, try doing deep breathing (breathing in slowly, and out slowly) or relaxation techniques (e.g., tensing and then relaxing different muscle groups) ...
  • JenniBukJenniBuk Posts: 75
    Easy. ice cold, straight out the freezer. VODKA! works like a charm! lol! x
  • I like your style JenniB that has got to be the way!!!
  • blossom25blossom25 Posts: 3,070
    Thanks for the tips girls! Will keep the vodka as a last resort...for now! I don't drink caffiene anyway and I was like this even with a 9 to 6 job so don't think its either of those. Tried Kalms but didn't do much. They worked for couple nights then stopped. I always read at night but due to what I study (literature) this is my passion and I end up sitting up until I finish it! Like the idea of porridge and cammomile tea. Also my Mam swears by breathing techniques so I'll check those out. Thank you all for your great advice xx
  • cjacksonukcjacksonuk Posts: 227
    Hi jules - I recently bought Origins hair oil which has lavender and rosemary aromatheraphy oils in i. You put a few drops through your hair at night and the smell helps you drift off - i have areally stressful job so really need the help. You wash it out in the morning and it also leaves your hair gorgeously silky - it is about £25 but will last you for ages. Might be worth a try. CJ xx
    oooh! That sounds gorgeous! I love the sound of that. Thanks for the tip CJ xx
    I'm going to get up at a decent time tomorrow and as I have nothing planned for early afternoon I'm going to see what this site looks like during the day! It sure gets lonely on here all by myself in the wee small hours xx