Protect platinum rings from scratches?

Hello!

I have a beautiful platinum engagement ring (that we're 're-issuing' as my wedding ring), so I'm going to get it buffed up as it's scratched already, is there any way I can protect my ring from more scratches? A coating of some kind perhaps?

ANy thoughts welcome, thanks xx

• mize21mize21 Posts: 623
    If your ring is platinum then it does not scratch although looking at it you would think it has. Truth be known it is the strongest metal (for a ring) and therefore every year you are meant to have it 'cleaned' where if you take it to a jewellers they will re-buff it. I had my engagement ring done for my wedding last year and it looked amazing and like brand new! Some jewellers will send it off but if you have a local working jeweller they will do it in a couple of hours. X
  • Eleni87Eleni87 Posts: 214
    Quoted:
    If your ring is platinum then it does not scratch although looking at it you would think it has. Truth be known it is the strongest metal (for a ring) and therefore every year you are meant to have it 'cleaned' where if you take it to a jewellers they will re-buff it. I had my engagement ring done for my wedding last year and it looked amazing and like brand new! Some jewellers will send it off but if you have a local working jeweller they will do it in a couple of hours. X

1) Platinum does scratch

2) There are stronger metals, many used for rings. Tungsten carbide is a fairly popular one with men at the moment.

3) Dont get your ring "cleaned" on a regular basis. The type of cleaning you seem to suggest is actually known as polishing and involves wearing away the metal to just below the level of the deepest scratchesl. For obvious reasons this is not something you want to do regularly.
  • Lily162010Lily162010 Posts: 3,064
    I have a platinum wedding and engagement ring, and they both have small scratches on. Not overly noticeable, they are only really on the bottom of the band. Havent had it professionally cleaned though as its not quite bad enough for that yet.
  • macysmummacysmum Posts: 3,230
    my e ring is platinum and has a scratch on and a few scuffs at the back from general wear. i will be getting mine polished before the wedding through the shop h2b got it from. they will send it away and it takes a week.

they said that polishing it is something that can get dont every year or so as it barely takes any of the ring away just buffs it up.

ill prob get it done every few years or so.

• DaddyorChipsDaddyorChips Posts: 9,196
    Am i the only person with a platinum ring who left it matt? I prefered it to the polished finish
  • Lynsey6Lynsey6 Posts: 1

I've had my platinum engagement ring three or four weeks now and do take it off where lifting or cleaning things but it already has scuffs on the bottom of it. I am getting scared to wear it incase it scratches more. Is there a coating that can be applied or is it just a case of getting it cleaned/buffed up before the wedding?

Thanks!