How did you get together?

13»

• We met at school, how sad! I guess we must have walked past each other in the playground for about 6 years until we finally got to know each other when we were 17 and went out for a few months. Then we split up for 2 years and had respective flings at uni, before finally getting back together on a group holiday in lanzarote. We managed to make it though years of being at different unis and living in different cities, before he finally popped the question in April. We're getting married next July on our 8 year anniversary. Didn't realise how romantic it was till I wrote this!
  • We met at uni, but on his last ever day there, so we didn't KNOW each other at uni, if you see what I mean. He had a lot more hair then - and he's only 25 now!
  • eeping76eeping76 Posts: 927
    Quoted:
    We met in Australia, he's Dutch, I'm English. It was just an innocent handshake which sent shivers down my spine, we've been inseparable ever since - 10 years next month!

Hey,

We met in Oz too; Brissy....actually in a club....yeah!!! downunder......, We were both studying there, but at diff. uni. After a few dances....came to a friend's birthday party and then we started travelling around part of Oz.....5 years anni this weekimage

[Modified by: lime on August 25, 2006 08:12 AM]
  • stkezstkez Posts: 2,247
    Fantastic am loving this.

I met my h2b in a (Drumroll) nightclub. I was out with my friend whos husband was a bouncer but we like to say door supervisor (DS lol) in the club we were at. Her hubby asked me if I would help out a DS friend of his, I said what do I have to do. He was having problems with a stalker and asked if I would stand with him for abit and act like his GF so I agreed ( ive worked in clubs from 18yrs old so I know how DS's are and wasnt about to get mixed up in some one night stand) I go over with my friend and her hubby. chat to him, lots of laughing and false smiling for the act. I stood there and though wow hes really nice but dont get carried away. I did my acting the girl stomped off to the loo and my friend and I went to dance.

All night whenever he walked past he smiled, winked stopped to speak.

At the end of the night we ( friend and I) were waiting for her hubby to knock off work. my friends hubby asked for my number to give to h2b and I said, if he wants my number he should ask himself, he did and as I was leaving my friend invites h2b back to hers for a drink knowing I was stopping there the night.

He agrees. We stay up all night long talking, he wasnt like all the DS's I know. He wasnt from the area he was here at UNI doing an economics degree. He was so sweet and kind, I told him all about my daughter who was 3 at the time. it took me a while b4 I introduced her to him and she thinks of him now as daddy. We have been together for 5 years, we have a 3 year old son, own house and getting married is the icing on the cake ( no pun intended)

I cant wait.

Kerry
  • LisaMukLisaMuk Posts: 358
    This one's worse!!!

I met my H2B aged 15, as I was snogging his mate (my then boyfriend) on a wall at the local gang hang out, after some white lighting (the worst drink ever YUCK!!!).

My H2B pull up in his mates Fiesta XR2 and introduce himself. He looked soooo cool with his cap back to front (back then!). I soon ditched his mate and we ended up copping off in the park..

How romantic........yeah right!!!!!! 11 1/2 years ago. Where has the time gone?

Lisa x
  • we also met at uni - we had lectures together in the first year and admired eachother from a distance (even though I thought he was a bit too keen on his text books and he didn't like it when I dyed my hair??!!).

Anyway we got together in the second year after several weeks of red-faced conversation and 'accidental' bumping into eachother - all very nauseating for those that had to watch and highly embarrassing to think back to.

Fast forward to year 3 when one day we were strolling round the city centre and bumped into our old lecturer from year 1 (who happened to be head of the faculty) who took one look at us (and our held hands) before looking completely horrified that his top pupil was going out with me (who had scraped through the first year with about 3% to spare and spent most of the lecture time sat at home in front of Trisha - whoops.) Absolutely priceless!! image

He's still a geek ;\) and I still have dodgy highlights but its all worked out quite well so far!!

• louisa25uklouisa25uk Posts: 422
    We met in a cheesy nightclub! I'd been single/datin for a year after 2 long term relationships, and was enjoying a girls night out with my best mates. Wasn't planning to pull, but as i walked over to where we usually sit in the club, H2B and his mates were there. I clocked him straight away, looking gorgeous in a tight white t-shirt! We sat next to them, and when his mate returned from the bar, he kinda sat on me, so I made a drunken remark, and we all got chatting. The girls then dragged me off to dance, but soon after we locked eyes across the dancefloor and waved. We went and sat down again, and then H2Bs mates walked past, quickly followed by him. He sat down beside me and said "So er, can I have your number then?". He called me 2 days later, and we've bbeen together evr since. he proposed xmas 2004, by ptting the ring in front of me and saying "so will ya then?"! I made him do it properly before saying yes, although we both knew i would!
  • Me and H2B met at work, I'd been there a year when he started in the October. He was a bit scared of me at first being the feisty girl that i am and him being only 18 (2 years younger than me) but we soon were flirting. We had a work Christmas party on the 1st December 2001 when he followed me down a corridor and kissed, we've been inseperable ever since. He proposed on New Years eve just gone in New York and we are getting married on our 5th anniversary this year.
  • I told how we got together on page one of this thread but forgot to include some random stuff.....

when i first met his mates at the house he was sharing one of them got some pictures out and said "this is our mate Julian but we don't know who the other random bloke is" - i told them it was my little brother.

I'd known him for 2 weeks and he had a picture of my bro in his house from 2 years ago.

Not random but VERY cute:

Then I had to go to hospital for my tonsils removing. We'd been together 3 weeks and he sent me a message saying "as they're taking a piece of you away tomorrow you can have my heart"

He's SUCH a darling - always has been, always will be.

Now were married and planning babies!

xx
  • Met H2B on first day of college (both aged 16) and fancied him from the second he walked through the classroom door. 2 months later started going out with eachother and been together ever since - 10 years in October!!!
  • gothdigothdi Posts: 322
    after my 1st husband left me and kids i was at an all time low, then when i was on line oneday a man started messaging me on a site, we became good friends and both fancied each other but he said he wasnt ready for a relationship, we ended up seeing other people but no one lasted long and one day my mum said, why r u see ing ****** when its obvious u r in love with h2b, it hit me like lightening and after being friends almost a year we became a couple after 8 months me and kids moved in with him and now after a year of being together we are getting married. he was my rock through a very hard time in my life, and eventually i realised he was my soul mate not just my best friend.

i love the internet lol

• Okay here it goes - I'm going to tell you girls the real story and not the fake one I tell most people because I think there's a stigma to it!

Once upon a time about 4 1/2 years ago, myself and some friends were messing about on the internet and speaking to people from different chat rooms. We were all at our own homes so that made it more fun.

Anyway, my nickname back then was sportsbilly (weird cartoon from 70's/80's where this kid was able to get loads of stuff into a tiny bag and apparently that's what I'm like when we go away!)

Anyway, I digress! We were on there for ages talking about music, films & sport (I do love football!) and my James was on there and asked if I was a guy because I knew so much about sport - I did my best mock disgust smiley and said no I'm 100% female.

So, he then invited me to a private chat room which I accepted and we spoke for hours on end to each other before finally plucking up the courage to swap email addresses and phone numbers. Which lead to me taking the ultimate plunge and flying to London to meet him (02/08/02) spot the date - that's the date we get married in 2008!

I forgot to mention that last bit before didn't I - I lived in Dublin & James lived in London! So for 10 months we commuted (long distance relationships are SO NOT fun!!) and then in May 2003 I took a leap of faith and moved to London to be with him and as stated before, the rest is history!

I do however have one confession to make, James & I are due to get engaged by the end of this year but we have already booked the venue, band, attendants, guests, color scheme etc...so that when the time comes around to it we'll be all prepared and won't have too much stress which is just as well because I'm stressed enough about it now!!

Sorry girlies and I hope you don't think I'm a Charlatan!!! :\)
  • Layla, which nightclub did you meet your fella in?

I met mine in the Phono (soooo dodgy, downstairs, Merrion centre, closed now)

Mrs Vaughan met hers in TCs (Merrion centre, round corner from phono v.dodgy also)

so which of the dodgy clubs in Leeds were you?

We're the dodgy club gang!

xx
  • we worked together - he had beatuiful smile (still has!)- but was soooooo shy made it really difficult for me - for 3 months i flirted, invited him was out, and just got an excuse to go and speak to him - our xmas party came up and i decided it was the last night i was going to try. He seemed to have this confidence and as he walked through the door that night he came straight over held my hand and that was that, we moved in after about a month (not officially - that came at 3 months) but never left each other for a night, We been together 6 years now, have a beautiful 14 mth old daughter, two cats, and now getting married next aug
  • We me through a band called Metallica!

I run the official UK branch of the Metallica club and I organise a number of events for it as well as trips around the world with my members to see the band.

One year, I organised a big event with attendees from all over the world and the UK. I met my fiance at this event. From the moment we met, we hit it off straight away and despite him being from Ireland and me from London, we became inseperable and eventually got together. I now live in Ireland and we both own a house. Since then I have continued to run the club and we have seen the world together because of Metallica!

How rock n roll!!!!

One of the reasons we are getting married in San Francisco is because Metallica are based there, they are a bay area band, and SF is the first place we went on holiday to together. The trip was to see Metallica play in SF and Sacramento, so that city has a lot of meaning for us!
  • Mrs Vaughan the initial way h2b proposed cracked me up!!! Fair play to you getting him to do it properly!

Can I just say that I love hearing things like this - so girlie!! image
  • Hey rockchick Kat, whereabouts in Ireland do you live?

I'm from Dublin's Northside. x
  • Mrs P, it was cheesy nightclub in Brighton...Called the Event 2... Beer soaked floors, lots of fights-very rough!!!
  • Bride28Bride28 Posts: 255
    Long story short....

H2B and I are childhood sweethearts!! Met at school age 11 :\)

~ Nat xx
  • Quoted:
    Hey rockchick Kat, whereabouts in Ireland do you live?

I'm from Dublin's Northside. x

I live in the North, a little village called Moira about 18 miles from Belfast. I love Ireland, I have some very good friends in Dublin I visit, they live in an apartment by Halfpenny Bridge in the city centre. Also have a friend in Swords and County Meath. Love the country!
  • I met my h2b through friends (his & mine) meeting up in a quiet bar last year. After a couple of weeks he gathered enough courage to ask me out and have been with him since.

We moved in after 3 months together (much to my Mum's shock despite me being 31!) and became engaged 2 months after that again.

We were together 6 weeks when Xmas happened and that was when I knew he was the one. I spent the holiday with my parents thinking of him and missing him lots.
  • Hi

I met my Husband on an Internet dating site. I thought why not give it a go all my friends were in relationships. So i went in feet first, and came out trumps!!

We been together for 2yrs 5mnths and married for 11 days!!!

J

• Awww, its lovely reading everyones stories!

I'm sorry this is a bit complicated and long...

I met H2B at the beginning of last year in Guernsey, I had just come back frm 6 months in France, which I hated because I was so bored, that I ate all the time and had out on a lot of weight. Anyway, got my job back that I had when I was at school, full time, working as a waitress and second chef in a hotel called La Piette. We very often had workers staying in the hotel, that came from the UK and worked on a private Island called Breqhou. They had to get the boat every morning at 5.30am. I knew a lot of them, as they came over for a few weeks then went back, but this time there were 2 new faces in the group, a couple of young lads (I say that because most of the others were guys in their 40's).

Anyway, I thought they were nice lads but didn't really fancy them. Then one night it was quiet in the pub, just me behind the bar and they were sat there having a few drinks. Danny (H2B) had a new camera phone and he kept taking pictures of me with it, which I hated, being very self concious about my weight after putting it on, so I told him if he carried on I'd take 'that bloody thing off you.' He just laughed and carried on so I went to grab the phone from him, and he pulled me down onto his lap. I was so embarassed, and went red!

Anyway after that we got talking and I must admit I found his accent so funny, although I did understand him (mostly, some words like scriking (crying) I had to say 'what'!). He said he didn't really like Guernsey much, because it was so small there was nothing to do. I asked him what he would be doing back home and he listed all these things, I said oh you can do most of those here (bowling etc). He said that the town was so small as well, so I said 'we will go out this weekend, my way, and I'll show you that town can be fun. So that Saturday after I finished my shift we went to town, and yes, our first kiss was in a club... Nothing happened that night he just walked me home and then went back to the hotel.

Our little romance carried on, but we both agreed nothing serious as we lived in different places. Then one night there was a fight at the Piette between myself and this big (7ft 2) dutch guy (long story) and I resigned and was barred, and Danny was also kicked out, for speaking to me! What a way to treat your customers...! So he stayed at mine. He was allowed back the next day and they aplogised most sincerely...

He was at mine a lot after that and then one night we had a falling out, a big one, he went home a couple of days later and that was that. I missed him a lot, but thought it was prob for the best because we lived in different countries.

A few weeks later I went into town with a friend and he was there, in a night club, chatting to a girl, and I felt soooo jealous! So I went up to him, pulled him to one side and aplogised and we were back together, although I found out that night he was due to fly home at the weekend, for a couple of weeks. I was gutted! The night before he left we finally...(made love) and he said after, 'I love you' I was really freaked out, thinking this wasn't supposed to be so serious and after our fight I didn't trust him 100% (I'd not long had my heart broken) but I said 'I don't trust you yet but I do Love you.'

I was devasted when he left (this was in May) and we spoke every night on the phone. Then one night he said 'At work today, they said I'm not coming back till October!' I cried and cried... It was my mum's partners birthday in June and we were all going out for a meal, and I aksed him if he would come over, so he took the Friday off work and fllew over, but before he left his boss asked him where he was going, and he said Guernsey and his boss said, oh well if you are off to Guernsey you may as well stay there and work, I will send the other guy onMonday, you have your weekend hol and then check in the hotel on Monday so he stayed with me over the weekend and stayed at the hotel for a month. It was great, although I was still barred so I used to climb in his window as he had the only room on the ground floor!

When he went home, I followed a few weeks later and went to stay with him for a week in the August, to meet his family and when he picked me up from the airport I cried because I was so scared to meet his mum!

I met all his family and had the best week ever! Thjen on Sept 7th he moved over here with his car and everything and that was the worst day of my life, it broke my heart as he is so close to his family.

Anyway on our year anniversary he propsed and we are getting married next September 1st. We lived with my mum for the first few months but now have our own flat, that we rent, and he has done it all up with new bathroom, kitchen etc...

I love him soooo much! Sorry this is so long winded!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Awww, its lovely reading everyones stories!

I'm sorry this is a bit complicated and long...

I met H2B at the beginning of last year in Guernsey, I had just come back frm 6 months in France, which I hated because I was so bored, that I ate all the time and had out on a lot of weight. Anyway, got my job back that I had when I was at school, full time, working as a waitress and second chef in a hotel called La Piette. We very often had workers staying in the hotel, that came from the UK and worked on a private Island called Breqhou. They had to get the boat every morning at 5.30am. I knew a lot of them, as they came over for a few weeks then went back, but this time there were 2 new faces in the group, a couple of young lads (I say that because most of the others were guys in their 40's).

Anyway, I thought they were nice lads but didn't really fancy them. Then one night it was quiet in the pub, just me behind the bar and they were sat there having a few drinks. Danny (H2B) had a new camera phone and he kept taking pictures of me with it, which I hated, being very self concious about my weight after putting it on, so I told him if he carried on I'd take 'that bloody thing off you.' He just laughed and carried on so I went to grab the phone from him, and he pulled me down onto his lap. I was so embarassed, and went red!

Anyway after that we got talking and I must admit I found his accent so funny, although I did understand him (mostly, some words like scriking (crying) I had to say 'what'!). He said he didn't really like Guernsey much, because it was so small there was nothing to do. I asked him what he would be doing back home and he listed all these things, I said oh you can do most of those here (bowling etc). He said that the town was so small as well, so I said 'we will go out this weekend, my way, and I'll show you that town can be fun. So that Saturday after I finished my shift we went to town, and yes, our first kiss was in a club... Nothing happened that night he just walked me home and then went back to the hotel.

Our little romance carried on, but we both agreed nothing serious as we lived in different places. Then one night there was a fight at the Piette between myself and this big (7ft 2) dutch guy (long story) and I resigned and was barred, and Danny was also kicked out, for speaking to me! What a way to treat your customers...! So he stayed at mine. He was allowed back the next day and they aplogised most sincerely...

He was at mine a lot after that and then one night we had a falling out, a big one, he went home a couple of days later and that was that. I missed him a lot, but thought it was prob for the best because we lived in different countries.

A few weeks later I went into town with a friend and he was there, in a night club, chatting to a girl, and I felt soooo jealous! So I went up to him, pulled him to one side and aplogised and we were back together, although I found out that night he was due to fly home at the weekend, for a couple of weeks. I was gutted! The night before he left we finally...(made love) and he said after, 'I love you' I was really freaked out, thinking this wasn't supposed to be so serious and after our fight I didn't trust him 100% (I'd not long had my heart broken) but I said 'I don't trust you yet but I do Love you.'

I was devasted when he left (this was in May) and we spoke every night on the phone. Then one night he said 'At work today, they said I'm not coming back till October!' I cried and cried... It was my mum's partners birthday in June and we were all going out for a meal, and I aksed him if he would come over, so he took the Friday off work and fllew over, but before he left his boss asked him where he was going, and he said Guernsey and his boss said, oh well if you are off to Guernsey you may as well stay there and work, I will send the other guy onMonday, you have your weekend hol and then check in the hotel on Monday so he stayed with me over the weekend and stayed at the hotel for a month. It was great, although I was still barred so I used to climb in his window as he had the only room on the ground floor!

When he went home, I followed a few weeks later and went to stay with him for a week in the August, to meet his family and when he picked me up from the airport I cried because I was so scared to meet his mum!

I met all his family and had the best week ever! Thjen on Sept 7th he moved over here with his car and everything and that was the worst day of my life, it broke my heart as he is so close to his family.

Anyway on our year anniversary he propsed and we are getting married next September 1st. We lived with my mum for the first few months but now have our own flat, that we rent, and he has done it all up with new bathroom, kitchen etc...

I love him soooo much! Sorry this is so long winded!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Me and H met on an internet dating site back in April, we met after 5 days of chatting, and have been together ever since!!!!
  • Crikey, so many lovely romantic stories, well heres mine -

I was board one night (boyf out with guy mates) so forced my brother to take me to a party he was going to. He so didnt want to be seen out and about with his sister but i perservered.

Once there i was chatting to one of my brothers friends about a book id just read 'memoirs of a geisha' which i had loved and couldnt stop talking about, and he introduces me to his friend L who had spent a year in Japan and had just got back to the UK. We chatted for a while, i loved the fact he was so passinate about the same things as me (i.e travel and Japan).

As the evening went on we kinda drifted apart, spoke to other people etc, then the dance floor was clearing and the lights were being turned on (as a hint to everyone that the club was closing). I was pretty drunk by this point and saw him standing on his own in the middle of the dance floor and said to my friend, do you dare me to go up there and throw myself at him. I didnt even hear her reply as thinking it was the best idea id ever had, i went to do it.

I must add here that i was in a serious relationship at the time as was he (both for 5 years). The next morning (yes, after we spent the night together), i assumed it was a fling so thought nothing more of it, but did break up with my boyf the next day, as i obviously didnt love him anymore to do something like that.

A couple of days later L rang and suggested meeting up, i knew he had a girlf so thought it would be just to clear the air, or to stop me mentioning it to anyone in case his girlf found out.

We met up and he was really quiet, when i asked why he said he was shattered (tired) as had broken up with his girlf the night before. I was too gob-smacked to speak. Eventually i mentioned that i had also broken up with my boyf. It was so weird sitting there together, both single knowing we could now do what we wanted and very aware that we liked each other, but had literally both just come out of long serious relationships, so anything we did we obviously be a rebound thing.

To cut a long story short we tried to have a casual fling thing, but after 2 years of pretending it was only a fling, we realised we'd been kidding ourselves. It has now been 4 years and we are getting married next year. Sometimes I still cant belive its really happening!

The way i see it is once we found each other we just wouldnt let the other one go. U know when everything just feels so right, well thats how i felt with L from the day i met him. My brother is now an usher and happy as larry that its all down to him i met the man of my dreams. We have also been to Japan together which was fab as i feel it was because of that country (and the book) we are together.
  • Kaz2609Kaz2609 Posts: 415
    Met my H2B in a pub on ' Mad Friday'. (Where we come from the Friday before Christmas is known as 'Mad Friday'!! - says it all really!!) image I was out with some girls I used to work with and he was out with a couple of his mates. He asked one of the girls I was with who I was and then he came over and started chatting. Swapped phone numbers that night and I woke up the next day to discover I had missed six calls from him.

Had our first date on boxing day and by Hogmany I knew he was the one!

Nearly five years later we're still going strong and planning our wedding for October 2008!