Notice of marriage

We've just booked to go and give our notice of marriage at the registry office. They've told us what to bring with us but what do they ask you? How long does it take roughly? I'm scared that I'll say something silly and they won't let us get married!

• Giving notice is nothing to worry about at all. They interview you seperately and just ask your partners name, age and address. Occupation from what I remember its all a bit vague now. But honestly I really wouldnt worry. You will be fine. It only takes about 30 - 40 mins if that.

You can't do any worse than me I couldnt even remember if my other half had a middle name. How bad is that. Got his age right though.

Good luck you will be fine
  • When we gave notice, we were interviewed together. We live abroad so it took the most time for the woman to figure out we'd been home for 7 or 8 days (no really, I had to count to her on her calendar to show it was the 8th day and so she let us give notice!), We were just asked full names, and occupations and our dads names and occupations.

Try not to worry about it, I'm sure it will be fine!
  • poshkateposhkate Posts: 256

Thanks Ladies! I worry as I always get the year H2B was born wrong.......got 2 weeks till we go so will have to memorise it by then!
  • Oh yes sorry they did ask about occupation and fathers name. As this goes on your marriage license. Its really all the info they need to put on the license. Then you pay a fee and off you go until you are interviewed again nearer the time just to go over Readings and Music and to confirm details havent changed.

• kazc82kazc82 Posts: 51
    how far in advance do u need to go to this? and how musch does it cost and what do u need to bring?

You can do it upto 12 months in advance. It costs 30 pound each and you have to take your passport and proof of address.
  • Yep and my h2b forgot his passport so he couldnt give notice he had another appointment to go back lol ...typical bloke so Princesskate make sure ur other half has everything
  • MrsPC2BMrsPC2B Posts: 634
    Is that just in England? I went into our local registry office and they told me the longest you could give notice was 3 months before wedding - so earliest we can give notice is 26th December 2010

xx

Might just be England, I'm not sure.

Thanks Sue, I'll make sure I sort out the documents image
  • It's all good fun....and very straightforward.

they ask very simple questions about each of you to check that you really do know each other and are not being coerced into doing someone that you don't want to do.
  • Quoted:
    Oh yes sorry they did ask about occupation and fathers name. As this goes on your marriage license. Its really all the info they need to put on the license. Then you pay a fee and off you go until you are interviewed again nearer the time just to go over Readings and Music and to confirm details havent changed.

Just to clarify you don't have to have fathers names and professions on your marriage certificate it's not a legality and so I left mine off. They will ask you for the details of their names and professions though, also your dates of birth, your professions, your address/es etc.They will also ask how long you have lived within the borough to make sure you are able to marry there. Don't worry they aren't trying to prevent you marrying , just trying to prevent illegal marriages. Oh and almost forgot they will ask if you or your H2B have been married before or are still married!

[Modified by: Mrs Katielouxx on December 31, 2009 02:32 PM]

• Hi

Ive just been 2day 2 give notice...felt like twaz back @ school...Got flustered and forgot what my dad does4 a living..hahahaaimage!!

• 26septbride26septbride Posts: 1,158
    It must be different in Scotland cos we didn't have to go in to be interviewed - we just completed the marriage notice forms and handed them in! They then phoned me to check a couple of details.

Its so exciting when you give notice though, makes it seem more real!!!
  • In Scotland you can only give notice up to 3 months and no later than 15 days...in England it's up to 12 months prior to the wedding.

FSxx
  • IWe did this about a month ago and the registrar was called Mrs Loving!! how apt lol!