Drinking alcohol on antibiotics?

Im taking antibiotics for a urine infection (too much info sorry ladies) and was maybe gonna have a little glass fo wine at midnight for New Year coming in but am not sure if this is a good idea.

Its called Cefalexin I think but I just dont wanna chance anything.

What do you reckon? Is one little glass of wine gonna do any harm. Help!!! image

• Delilah1981Delilah1981 Posts: 1,483
    You'll be fine: http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/Antibiotics___Alcohol__The_truth_and_myths_a144.html

If you can't be bothered to read the article - drinking is fine with antibiotics.
  • Not at all sure so disregard my advice if someone else is confident! I think drinking on antibiotics can just stop them working properly so you won't get sorted as fast. (they don't get you more drunk as someone once told me!). HNY
  • alcohol does effect that anit biotic what is does is reduces the fighting power of the antibiotic because alcohol is a depressive stimulant that slows the body and therefore will slow the fight against the infection - that is basic science, but personally i'd be having a glass.

• double post - but google will allow anyone to find arguments for and against drinking- decision is yours hun xx

[Modified by: **Jilly ** on December 31, 2009 07:53 PM]

[Modified by: **Jilly ** on December 31, 2009 07:54 PM]

• apologies for double posting- cant even edit it! dang!

actually yes i can! and yes i did- just attention seeking haha sorry ladies Xx

[Modified by: **Jilly ** on December 31, 2009 07:55 PM]

• Haha, I'm on the same medicine, was in much pain this morning and managed to squeeze in a visit to the doctors in between my many toilet trips! It seems to have helped already so I'm very pleased! Are you on 500mg? I'm sure one glass will be okay.
    Have a vodka and cranberry?
  • Yes, it should be fine - I've had a drink on that particular tablet before but everyone is different - I should think as long as you're not planning on getting hammered you should be fine!

I think there is only one or two antibiotics that you can't drink on.
  • Ooohhhh thanks ladies, what would I do without you all. I'll maybe have a little voddy and cranberry juice thenimage

Have a great night xx
    Just don't over-do it - or you'll be blaming us! One drink or two should be fine - you'll probably know yourself if you are doing anything detrimental. Make sure you drink plenty of water as well, and have something to eat before you drink.

Happy New Year! x
  • Cephalexin should be fine but dont drink on metronidazole unless you want to end up in a and e!
  • MrsHotchMrsHotch Posts: 1,268
    Quote:

Cephalexin should be fine but dont drink on metronidazole unless you want to end up in a and e!

/quote

Thats what i've been prescribed are they really that bad???
  • I believe you will drop down dead if you touch so much as a drop especially on New Years Eve image

Enjoy the vino xx
    Mrs Hotch - no alcohol for you: Antibiotics and alcohol

Only few classes of antibiotics should be avoided when drinking alcohol.

It is crucial to completely avoid drinking when taking the following antibiotics:

??????? Metronidazole - the side-effects include flushing, breathlessness, headache, increased or irregular heart rate, low blood pressure, nausea and vomiting.

• MrsHotchMrsHotch Posts: 1,268
    Thanks Delilah1981, Luckily I've not taken one yet, i was planning to start first thing in the morning.

I will prob start in the evening now to make sure all the alcohol is out of my system (although i've only had small glass of wine anyway as i'm not feeling too well)
    you're welcome! though the side-effects just sound like a hangover to me...
  • flf2bflf2b Posts: 647
    Metronidazole is part of the same "drug family" that the use to wean alcoholics off alcohol.

I've tried drinking on Metronidazole - I would NOT recommend it unless you want a New Year to remember for all the wrong reasons. ;\)
  • If you want to know what antabuse feels like or want a very cheap night, you could take one of those metronidazole but i really wouldnt recommend it as you would probably end up extremely ill. Interestingly enough some South East Asian people have the same problem as they lack one of the enzymes that breaks down alcohol and consequently are completely drunk after 1/2 a lager! x
  • ,,,,and avoid the "Inky Cap Mushroom" at all costs!