NWR: Free, fun things to do in London

So now myself and H2B are planning a wedding, we are obviously on a bit of a budget. However we have a week off in August and would love to go to the capital, we've been before and Harrods bakery is ALWAYS a must visit. However of course this is not going to take up a whole day or two.

Other than the popular Museums (which we love and plan to visit as well as), what are peoples top places to visit or top things to do when in London? We were planning to spend a couple of days there, with a night in a Premier Inn, inbetween (cheap and cheerful, but you know what you are getting!).

Can't wait to hear your suggestions! image xxx

• MrsGarlicMrsGarlic Posts: 36
    Walk down the South Bank

Visit Borough Market (open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays although Saturdays are mega busy and I'd avoid if possible!!)

Visit the Houses of Parliament if that is your thing: http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/

The Tate Modern can be a fun place to visit too, particularly if there's a good exhibition in the Turbine Hall.
  • ChardonnayChardonnay Posts: 1,761
    MrsGarlic (love the name BTW), you just described some of my favourite things to do in London! I second the vote for the walk. Start at St Pauls, admire the cathedral then walk towards the river, across the Millenium Bridge. From there you can go into Tate Modern (straight in front of you) or walk into Borough Market (maybe 5mins walk, follow the crowds towards London Bridge, you can't miss it).

Other good free/cheap things:

The walking tours offered by Sandemans are tips only, google them, we did this the day we got engaged and it was good fun.

www.walks.com do great walking tours for about £8 per person, we've done the Jack the Ripper walk & the Old Marylebone Walk (very different, obviously) and both were good.

Wandering around Camden/Portobello markets is always a nice way to while away a weekend day!

Some of my other favourite things (not necessarily quite as cheap):

Wine tasting at Vinopolis

Shakespeare plays at the Globe Theatre (£5 for standing tickets, more if you want a seat)

Cocktails at the Crazy Bear (Fitzrovia)

Lunch deals at posh restaurants (you can go to Le Gavroche for about £25 set menu at lunch; I really like the lunch deal at Maze as well)

Standby tickets for shows (go to the tkts booth in Leicester Square on the day, or just call the box office of any show you want to see, or rock up 30mins before the start time & ask for returns. Wicked is, well, wicked! my favourite though is Blood Brothers, often you can get £20 dinner & show deals on lastminute.com for this). You can also do this at the Royal Opera House, well worth a look if you like ballet or opera. Top tip if you go there- buy your drinks in the top floor bar, not in the champagne bar, much cheaper & you still look down onto the beautiful glass sculpture of a champagne bottle flower below.

Comedy: try the Amused Moose in Soho, saw Mighty Boosh & Russell Brand here completely by accident. Turn up early & queue for cheaper on-the-door tickets. If you're prepared to travel outside the centre, I really like the Downstairs at the Kings Head club in Crouch End (bit off the beaten track, but a proper old-skool comedy club, basement room painted black...)

Hope that helps with a few ideas.... image