NWR - Buckinghamshire anyone?

Hi all,

Completely non-wedding related. I posted a while back asking if anyone could recommend St Albans as we are looking to buy a family home out of London. Well now I've just been offered my dream job so am sooooo excited, only thing is it's in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire and apart from the interviews I have never been to Buckinghamshire in my life! My commute will be 2 hours each way as of January so we need to move sharpish before I go mad. Can anyone recommend any lovely, picturesque, family friendly towns in Buckinghamshire? Needs to be within 45mins of London by train.

Thanks soooo much in advance!

xx

• 1414 Posts: 45
    Hey, I live in Berkshire and went to school in Bucks so I'll see if I can help. Trains go direct into London Marylebone from High Wycombe - about 30 mins. Nearby lovely towns include Marlow (where I went to school), Bourne End which is a lovely place. My boss lives in Bledlow ridge and she loves it there. One note - you might want to look around the North end of High Wycombe - the train station is at the top of the town and getting from one side to the other can be a nightmare in the mornings! Unfortunately I don't really know that side very well. Some people at work live that side though so I'll ask and get back to you!

Hope I helped somewhat!
  • I know nothing really of Bucks or London but I know that Chesham and Aylesbury-ish is nice and still in contact with tube lines (or some direct London transport!).
  • MrsDMDaviesMrsDMDavies Posts: 1,794 New bride
    Wow thanks so much for the fast responses. I've heard Marlow is lovely but didn't think there is a direct train to London? We're def going to go and visit Chesham, Amersham and Aylesbury as we've heard good things about them. Basically I'll train/bus/or drive to work in High Wycombe so we can live anywhere that is an easy commute for my husband who will still be working in London.

LaylaJane I know what you mean! My new job is at J&J and it's about 3 miles from the station. I'm hoping a bus will get me there while I'm still living in London, it's the last 3 miles of my commute that are adding about 30mins to the overall 2 hour journey from SE London!

xx
  • DuddersDudders Posts: 1,659
    Right, what do you need to know?

I live in a village outside of HW, so can probably help you out with anything!

Feel free to PM or post here, whatever suits. Like anywhere, Wycombe has its crap parts and nice parts. What are you looking for, what's your budget etc etc image
    Great, thanks Dudders!

Basically we're looking for:

- minumum 3 bed house suitable for starting a family

- budget up to around £380k ish

- good schools is a must

- we've lived in London for 4 years but I'm Scottish and miss the countryside! So we'd love a town with all the conveniences but also picturesque with a village feel in places and independent shops etc. Ideally somewhere with countryside nearby and a nice park or something (that's why we fell in love with St Albans)

- husband wants to be within 40 mins of London on 1 train (i.e. no changes), so he needs to be within about 1 mile walk of a train station on a direct route to London

- I just need to be able to get to High Wycombe (bus or train from any direction)

We'd love this to be a long-term move where we can really settle so I'm really hoping to fall in love with somewhere and really feel at home. I'm imagining a friendly town with a village feel but also all the basic shops to hand.

From internet searches I like the look of Beaconsfield, Chesham, Amersham, Aylesbury and Marlow. We're not against High Wycombe but from talking to a few people they have said there are nicer areas.

I'd be so grateful for any help. I found loads of online reviews on hertfordshire but little on bucks!

xx
  • My flatmate lives in Bledlow Ridge! And her nearest train station is Princes Risborough so that might be another name you can get! image
  • HLB1970HLB1970 Posts: 280
    Hi MrsDMDavies,

I live in Hazlemere which is just on the outskirts of High Wycombe, inbetween HW and Beaconsfield, we are about 10 mins drive for both train stations direct into Marylebone (approx 30-40 mins to Marylebone). There are lots of lovely places around here but unless you are either in HW town or Beaconsfield you will struggle with a 1 mile walk to the station and a direct train link. Amersham or the Chalfonts (Little Chalfont, Chalfont St Giles, Chalfont St Peter) might be your best bet, all beautiful villages, great schools. Old Amersham is lovely, a really pretty market town.

Penn, Great Kingshill, Cryers Hill, Naphill, they are all lovely country villages with fantastic schools and all commutable for either HW or B'field.

Flackwell Heath has great schools and a lovely village community. Bourne End, Wooburn Green & Marlow all lovely. Marlow and Beaconsfield you will pay a premium for as they are beautiful towns and quite affluent.

I have lived around this area pretty much all my life so am more than happy to help you out with the areas to avoid etc. If you find anything you particularly like I can advise if its worth looking at or avoiding...

Hope this helps and good luck with your search and your dream job image
  • I lived in Chesham for 10 years...Amersham has slightly better travel links to London...both are lovely. Old Amersham is really nice and the schools in Amersham are very good. I can recommend Ley Hill on the outskirts of Chesham...it has an excellent junior school , its near the high school and leisure centre and its more rural but it has nice pubs and a local shop (or used to!)
  • icklekidicklekid Posts: 732
    Wow just to say I also grew up in marlow and it is beautiful! (now live in nottingham!) My mum commutes to London from high wycombe everyday but would agree with others amersham has better transport links. Seer green and jordans and beaconsfield might also be worth considering all on train line to both London and high wycombe and good buses from beaconsfield. Hope that helps x
    Wow you guys have been so helpful, thanks so much! I've written a list of all the places you have mentioned and we will have a look into all of them. I'm really excited now!

Keep the ideas/advice coming if you have any more! Or areas to avoid??

Thanks!!

xx
  • DuddersDudders Posts: 1,659
    Grrr it just ate my uuuber long post before I finished!! I am going to start writing and post and edit occasionally to avoid it happening again image

Basically buses for you from areas within a mile of a train station are going to be quite painful journeys I'm afraid. Aylesbury you are looking at an hour in to town and then another bus up the hill to J&J. Amersham about 50 minutes, again plus another bus up the hill. Beaconsfield is a rather more palatable half an hour into HW town, unfortunately, I don't think there's a direct bus.

Trains into Wycombe would only work from certain locations - Aylesbury (although quite long winded), Beaconsfield. Amersham and my extra little suggestion - Great Missenden - are a different line.

Tbh, don't bother with Wycombe itself - the area within a mile radius of the station wouldn't be my first choice!

If you drive and are willing to get a car, this opens up one or two more options for you. It also makes all the journeys to work for you a darn sight easier!!

From what you're looking for I think there's two main candidates for you - Beaconsfield and Great Missenden. In general, this isn't the cheapest of areas, given the direct routes in to London and it's easy location for, well pretty much anywhere!

A quick look on rightmove showed 5 properties in your budget with 3 bedrooms in Beaconsfield. You'd of course get more options registering with all the local agents, but just to try and show that although your budget sounds big, you need a fairly large wallet for Beaconsfield!!

Great Missenden isn't huge and therefore again not particularly cheap, although if hubby invests in a bike you could include Prestwood in your search, which will open up quite a lot of properties to you. This area is about 45 minutes on a bus into HW.

Both Beaconsfield and Great Missenden / Prestwood are nice areas and I'd happily move to either.

My gut reaction is that if you've spent a lot of time in London, then Beaconsfield or Amersham will be an easier adjustment for you. If there's no chance of you having a car sometime soon, then Beaconsfield is easiest. If you can stretch to a car, then as I say, life would be a lot easier for you. Once you know the routes and depending what time you start, most of these places (apart from Aylesbury) will only be about half an hour or so door to door.

Hope all this helps!! Just shout if you have any more questions image
  • OOh I like Beaconsfield too...it has a range of lovely shops although they are kind of split in two areas and its so close the motorway.