Wearing red to a wedding?

Inspired by a thread on another forum, would you consider red to be an unacceptable colour to wear at a wedding? image

http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/community/forums/thread/1630692?page=1

Clearly everyone is aware that white/cream is kinda iffy, but I've seen some unexpected opinions lately about wearing red that I'd never even considered!

If someone wore bright red to your wedding or to a wedding you were attending as a guest would you be offended and if so why?

• SarahMor84SarahMor84 Posts: 1,493
    we had guests wear red to our wedding and I never batted an eyelid to be honest. I thought the lady in question looked really nice and loved that my guests wore a vibrant colour. I think if you wear red but "vamp" the outfit up it may look out of place possibly but as a colour I think its fine to wear.
  • SarahMor84SarahMor84 Posts: 1,493
    Just started reading the forum thread - what happens if the boridesmaids are in red?! image image image
  • I've never thought of red as a "danger" colour for a wedding - in fact my mum is wearing red to our wedding!
  • I think it depends on the style of the dress! I remember my husbands ex invited herself to his cousins wedding wearing a trashy harlot red dress, it was silk and it was slashed down to the navel - total whore bag!

Really depends on dress i think!

I am an old-fashioned kinda girl and i dont like white and black at weddings! I have a pic at our wedding of someone wearing a black dress and it looks awful she sticks out like a sore thumb!
  • hpsauce84hpsauce84 Posts: 274
    My Mum walked me down the aisle and wore bright red! image

I actually helped her pick the dress and thought she looked gorgeous. image

I really didn't care what my guests wore though - my brothers partner wore a white maxi dress complete with white shawl and I didn't even notice until other guests started commenting on it to me!
  • Quoted:
    Just started reading the forum thread - what happens if the boridesmaids are in red?!

I know, hillarious, and what's even more funny is that hardly anyone who's complaining about it on that thread is actually getting married anyway image image
  • So let me get this straight. White, Ivory, Cream, Mink and Silver are too bridal. Black is a no no. Red means you're a wh0rebag. I am sure I heard green was bad luck, and vaguely remember purple being a no no for some obscure reason. Pastels should be avoided as too bridesmaidy.

I may have to turn up naked to the next wedding I go to.
  • MaylanMaylan Posts: 9,604
    image too true CBW! Too true!

We had someone in red at the wedding and she looked beautiful! And I wore red to a wedding earlier this month, nothing weird with it. I asked the bride if I could (mostly because I didn't want to match the bridesmaids) and she said it was cool image
  • RowenaFWRowenaFW Posts: 2,078
    I wore cream and red to the last wedding I went to!

And one of my usherettes is in a long black dress!
  • Your marriage is clearly doomed image image
  • I have to admit I wore black to the last wedding I went to but it was a really cute flirty little black dress so it wasn't morbid, plus I was only at the evening reception didn't turn up at the church in black!! image image

I dont really understand why red would be considered bad as long as it isn't wh0re bag ish!! image image image I like that phrase
  • Ha ha I'm just reading that thread with the bit about if you wear red it means you have slept with the groom!! Imagine if you believed this and on your wedding day loads of people were wearing red you would be mortified image image image image
  • I wore cream to my brither's wedding and black to the one I went to before that. I have NEVER checked my outfit with ANYONE and I'm not going to start now. Red doesn't suit me so I wouldn't wear it. That, and looking like a complete hobag, is the only reason I would have for not wearing an outfit.

CBW, you might be accused of being a hobag at your next wedding, or of having slept with the groom (or of having slept with everyone). But hold your head high, you won't be bringing bad luck on anyone!
  • manfawmanfaw Posts: 2,756
    The last wedding I went to I wore a black and white dress (so Mou would have chucked me out!) the next wedding I go to I am wearing colbat blue which is as vibrant as red.

I wouldnt be offended at all about wearing red to a wedding and I wouldnt be offended about someone wearing red to my wedding as long as it wasnts a Wh0rebag dress image
  • Roast0938Roast0938 Posts: 104
    My BMs are wearing red - and one is his sister, so hope the statement of 'sleeping with the groom' is incorrect otherwise i may be ringing Jeremy Kyle.

I dont care what people wear to my wedding. I never think of what colours not to wear when I have been to them in the past. I would hope my friends and family dont think im that much a control freak that they need to run past me!!

• DuddersDudders Posts: 1,659
    I wore red and cream at the last wedding I went to and I had indeed slept with the groom!

I was the bride though image
  • manfawmanfaw Posts: 2,756
    Quoted:
    I wore red and cream at the last wedding I went to and I had indeed slept with the groom! I was the bride though

image image image

I think that saying wearing red to a wedding means you've slept with the groom is stupid! Apart from the case above!

But its nearly as silly as this....

Married in White, you have chosen right,

Married in Grey, you will go far away,

Married in Black, you will wish yourself back,

Married in Red, you will wish yourself dead,

Married in Green, ashamed to be seen,

Married in Blue, you will always be true,

Married in Pearl, you will live in a whirl,

Married in Yellow, ashamed of your fellow,

Married in Brown, you will live in the town,

Married in Pink, you spirit will sink.
  • RowenaFWRowenaFW Posts: 2,078
    Quoted:
    Married in Blue, you will always be true,

Aha! So apparently, despite CBW's insinuations on my faux pas usherette and attire at last wedding, I have it in the bag with my own dress colour!

Edited to add: Dudders, you made me laugh so much. image
  • Do you think turning up naked is offensive?! God. Some of you need to get a life.

Dudders= wh0rebag. This is all. image
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    i just cant understand the not wearing this, that and the other to a wedding-ermmmm... i think most people would find it hard to upstage a bride as she'l be the one in the middle of everyone wearing the enormous dress and smiling lots. i cant imagine il ever care to nitce what everyone else is wearing at my wedding it'l all be me me me (and maybe a little of the man of course hehe)image

im afraid if you invite me to a wedding il only be wearing black as i dont posses another colour. as far as im concerned anyone who comes to mine is very welcome to wear red, black, EVEN WHITE, as long and floaty or as short and raunchy as you like, i couldnt care less (although short dresses on a boucy castle might be a little dangerous just make sure youv got some nice undies on)
  • I think its a traditional thing, the only reason why I stick to the colour thing is my Mum always made sure I never wore white cream or black to any weddings when i was small - dunno where it comes from though??! So im always conscious of it! But red thats quite a new one to me?!
  • DuddersDudders Posts: 1,659
    Quoted:
    Dudders= wh0rebag

How very dare you! From she who plans to slut around in her birthday suit image Besides you're just hating cos I looked so damn fine image

And my mum wore ivory - looks like we broke all the rules image

Even mil was looking at ivory. I am sure there was sooo much confusion who the bride was at our wedding. In fact I struggle to find myself in our pictures it's like where's wally!

Hmm, I think I might just wear my wedding dress to the next wedding I go to - there are no rules about what you can and can't wear in our family image Oh but that won't work unless I sleep with the groom, what will I do image
  • [email protected] him, I guess. Eeeek. That isn't incest is it?