Tea Dying to turn white to ivory?

Has anyone tried it? My so called ivory veil and lace bolero are both rather white in comparison to my ivory dress, they're both perfect apart from the colour so I'm thinking about tea dying, has anyone tried it? x

• Dying fabrics with tea is very dodgy, the final shade achieved depends very much on the fibre composition of the fabric and the strength of the tea used. You can never be 100% sure of the colour you'll end up with.

Some fibres take dye better than others so if your veil and bolero are part man made fibre and part natural e.g. nylon fabric with cotton stitching or trim) the natural fibres will dye to a darker shade than the man made ones, which would ruin the garment totally. The same would be true of using 'proper' dyes instead of home made ones. Man made fibres just don't dye well.

If you're that worried about the colour difference, I would look to replacing both rather than dying them with tea, or anything else for that matter
  • MrsBlakeyMrsBlakey Posts: 474
    Well... I went and did it anyway and i'm so so pleased!! The veil has come out perfect and the bolero though still drying looks really good too! Some of the detail hasn't gone as dark, but doesnt at all ruin the look, enhances the detail I think! Will put a before and after pic on when it's dry image
    Before- brilliant white!

After- All matches!My shoes match my dress perfectly so it should be perfect image

• MrsCloMrsClo Posts: 637
    image wow! image Consider me well and truly wrong, this is the first time I have seen this thread and was going to say, "nooo! don't dooo it!!" Glad it worked so well!!
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    does it not smell of tea?

impressed with how well it has worked
  • RowenaFWRowenaFW Posts: 2,078
    Wow! Congrats!

Can I put this on my blog (I know it's a public forum, but I want to use your pictures)? I don't need to dye anything, but I think it's awesome.
    Rowena you're more than welcome to image For anyone interested in doing it i used this tutorial...

http://www.weddingbee.com/2010/04/12/miss-dolphins-afternoon-adventure-tea-dying-lace-from-white-to-ivory-2/

I used 2 tea bags in a saucepan of 8 cups of hot water, took them out after 2 mins, an hour later i poured another cup of water in but cold this time, I dipped in my veil, made sure it was covered, a bit of a swish then rung it out and hung on the line, the bolero was my big concern- a £160 enzoani piece i didn't want to screw it up, so poured in a cup and a half of cold water then dipped swished and hung it out again, after it stopped dripping i used my hair dryer to dry both out.

It has a faint smell, not at all unpleasant- reminds me of my gran! Will pop it outside so it can get some fresh air though and perhaps a few spritz of perfume will do the trick image
  • 12345677771234567777 Posts: 240
    lol @ 'it reminds me of my gran'! What a great idea... Will it run in the rain or is the stain permanent now? I'm intrigued!
  • I'm glad it worked - I personally wouldn't have had the guts to try it, but the end results are fab