Budget cakes Scotland (not m&s!)

Hi all

I've swithered for a while about our wedding cake - I do want a nice cake but am not willing to pay hundreds of ££ for it. I have considered the m&s cakes and thy are lovely but the thought of having to transport it/build it myself stresses me out a bit. I've also read quite a lot of reviews saying that they are a lot smaller than in the photos.

I wondered if anyone knows of a baker in Scotland that makes budget/cheaper cakes? I would ideally want to spend £150/£200 for the cake and would like 2 tiers minimum. Any info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there,

Me and my new wife got married on 17th october and our cake was a twist of traditional/superhero...

although she does many variations...she is based in Johnstone.

We paid £350 for a 3 tier..which in our eyes wasn't expensive for what we wanted etc...

Depends really what you want :)

will try add picture in post for you to see.

• MrsLjCMrsLjC Posts: 1,202 New bride

Memza it's interesting to read your post. I'm also from Scotland and considering M&S but I didn't even think about the set up myself! Also that if they look smaller in the pictures that's interesting too.

Am I right in thinking you're in Fife too? 

• Memza89xMemza89x Posts: 1,533 New bride

Hi Autumnbride

Yeah I'm in Fife. I feel like I've left it pretty late now lol. I just kind of assumed that I would get it from m&s but after weighing up the pros and cons I'm thinking - yes it is cheaper but if it's smaller ur not getting any more from ur money - I wouldn't mind even getting a cheaper smaller cake then adding some cupcakes or something. m&s also do cutting bars if u needed to feed more guests than the cake could.

My other idea was to just get someone to make a songle cutting cake and just to get a variety of different cupcakes - waitrose do lovely ones that look look professional. 

What are your other options? Are u on a budget or just stuck for ideas?

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352

I had an M&S cake for my top tier and mini sponges for the rest - I'm not sure how they can be smaller than they look? The measurements are plainly there for you to see - just order the size you need! 

• the  cakes are by size so they may look bigger on an online picture but all you need to do to get an accurate representation is measure some paper out...

we got the taster cakes to try out and i never thought they would feed 4 people due to size however they were stupidly rich (but amazing!) and were def a 4 person serving (and i love rich sugary ott cake!).

what about buying one of the already tiered up fruit cakes from asda etc which are nice and plain but ready set, you could get cupcakes/tea party cakes in different flavours to complement it. we're having an asda 3 tier fruit cake with an extra special carrot cake for the top tier (we have a tier separator to do this) and cutting purposes x

• MrsLjCMrsLjC Posts: 1,202 New bride
    Memza89x wrote (see post):

Hi Autumnbride

Yeah I'm in Fife. I feel like I've left it pretty late now lol. I just kind of assumed that I would get it from m&s but after weighing up the pros and cons I'm thinking - yes it is cheaper but if it's smaller ur not getting any more from ur money - I wouldn't mind even getting a cheaper smaller cake then adding some cupcakes or something. m&s also do cutting bars if u needed to feed more guests than the cake could.

My other idea was to just get someone to make a songle cutting cake and just to get a variety of different cupcakes - waitrose do lovely ones that look look professional. 

What are your other options? Are u on a budget or just stuck for ideas?

I'm sure it's not too late it's just finding the right baker (if you don't go for M&S). I'm really fortunate that my auntie has offered to pay for our cake as a present and when I'd mentioned M&S she was like no find a baker, no expense too big etc, but to be honest I've had a look and taste at wedding fairs and I'm like a cake is a cake!  DIdn't try any that I thought that's the best cake I've ever tried I must have it! So yes, I'm basically stuck for ideas and not sure what to do. I'm getting married in October so just under a year but I'd like to get it sorted as my aunt keeps asking me!

I really like the cupcake idea - I have seen lots of lovely ideas on Pinterest! 

• Memza89xMemza89x Posts: 1,533 New bride

VicN what I was meaning was by looking at the pictures of the three tier cakes you wouldn't expect them to only be 26.5cm tall, which most of them are.