Ernest Jones engagement ring yellowing after 2-3 months

I bought a white gold ring from Ernest Jones 12 months ago. The White gold began discolouring within 2 months of wearing the ring. It is now completely yellow on the underside of the ring.

I was made aware that the white gold would "dull" over time and Ernest Jones do offer a replating service for free within the first 12 months of purchase. I have done everything instructed, don't wear it when it gets wet etc but should be able to wear it every day.

A wedding and engagement ring should by definition be able to be worn every day and last longer than 12 months before going in for a replating.

In my opinion it is not fit for purpose and I would like to exchange it for a platinum ring. I have all the original packaging, the matching wedding band which was sold with it (not yet worn) and proof of purchase. We will also be buying my fiancé' wedding band at the same time.

Am I within my rights to ask for an exchange or can they refuse me??

im going back to the store we bought it from and just wondered if anyone has had any experience of this and what the outcome was...I could do with some ammunition!!

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,347 New bride

It will depend on how long it has been since you got it. I have a white gold ring (from independent jewellers both) and they yellow quickly as well.

TBH I don't think they will let you as it is well known that white gold yellows and they offer a free replating service.

I get mine done every 2 years and just live with the colouring (tbh it only really shows in the underside as the diamonds keep it looking white so I am not too bothered)

• Abi41Abi41 Posts: 13

thanks for your reply mrstwizb, I've had the ring for a year only been wearing it for 10 months. 

My my problem really is just how yellow it's gone when they said it would only dull and that it would only be on the underside, it's started to go on the top too. 

May biggest gripe is that it started wearing within only a couple of months, which I don't think is right. I can't afford to keep getting two rings replated every six months which is what they realistically need at £30 per ring each time...

im sad because I loved my ring and had it stayed bright and shiny as the day i bought it it still would but I don't love it anymore, even resent it as I feel so guilty that my fiancé spent so much money on a ring I wanted and now I don't like it anymore :(

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,331 New bride

Hi Abi

I've had my Ernest Jones E-ring around 7 months (18ct white gold) and although it no longer has the lovely shine it did when new (natural dulling, as you say- must get mine replated), it certainly isn't yellowing at all. I wear mine for the majority of the day every day, removing it for showers/baths etc or when cleaning and sometimes cooking if it's messy on my hands. I think taking it off when using cleaning chemicals etc is important but it sounds like you already do these things!

I think you do have some grounds here for a complaint- an e-ring is an expensive item and you expect a certain level of quality. Unless you are seriously mistreating the ring I doubt it's normal for a ring to be yellowing with 2 months. As I say I don't have a similar issue with mine, so this isn't normal for Ernest Jones rings either. Before you go in to complain lay out (in your head or on paper) exactly what the problem is and decide what you want them to do about it. Going in with a clear expectation- that you want it replaced with the same style, you want a refund, you want an upgraded one in platinum or you want the value of yours to be taken off the platinum ring- is the best way to get results. Don't let them fobb you off- you can always take it to head office if they refuse you!

Hi Sammykate

thankbyou for your reply, this is really useful...I've attached two photos, the first was taken July 2015 (after 2 months of wear) you can see a faint tinge of yellow...

the second is today, its so yellow in comparison. 

youre right I always take it off when I'm doing anything messy which might harm it and dont do anything during the day which might harm it...

• Harriet85Harriet85 Posts: 118

My ring is also white gold we got engaged may last year so ive been wearing it 11 months and you can only tell the xolour difference when you out a brand new ring next to it. It has gone a bit yellowish on the underside but i wear my ring all the time and i never ever take it off. It goes in the shower, wasshing up, cleaning, cooking everything. Im only going to get it replated before the wedding to match the wedding ring.

In my opinion the show wont allow you to exchange the ring but theres no harm in asking! I think if you'd have taken it in after the 2 months and showed them the colouring they may have but as its now been 10 months they would have to take your word for it

This is probably a better angle to show the yellowing...

imageimage

This is mine after 11 months constant wear

Were going to buy my fiancé's ring at the same time and are happy to pay any difference between mine and a new of course. I'm just really not happy with this ring and would prefer a platinum and if I have to pay more then so be it. at this rate I'll be paying £5000 for all the replating it will need in a lifetime and that's only twice a year for 50 years...

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,202

I have been wearing my rings for 10 months and H2B bought it 2 months before that so its a year old now and I can only see it is a teeny tiny bit yellow when I have tried on wedding rings in the shop. Examining it now, you can hardly see it at all. To be honest, I am not as careful with it as I should be and I wear it washing hands, applying hand cream, washing up and at work (I am a midwife so although I wear gloves most of the time and put it on my lanyard when the real messy bit comes, sometimes there is not time to remove it/put gloves on and my hands get messy from time to time!) So if you are as careful as you say, I would say this early discolouring is not right.

I would suggest you take it there but really doubt they'll just upgrade you to a platinum ring as the price differences are quite a lot. Theyre probably more likely to replace it with another of the same (as the metal on yours may be a one off duff one0, or let you choose another in any metal you like and pay the difference. 

Harriet85 yours looks lovely (and a beautiful ring, congratulations)...certainly no where near as worn...was it bought at Ernest jones or somewhere else?

thanks so much for the photos x 

Thanks Jenni8, did your ring come from Ernest Jones??

We are definitely happy to pay the difference, and presumably they could recoat mine and use it as a display model, sell it again? Do you think they'd do that? 

I don't want to just have it replated, go back to the shop to collect it and then have to complain another 2 months down the line when it's started going yellow again already...

• KGalKGal Posts: 22

Hi! I doubt that they would let you exchange considering the time that has past but if definitely seems like it has discoloured quite a lot. I have a very similar ring to yourself from ernest Jones, 18ct white gold and it's only the bottom that has discoloured and that's from 21months of wear and I never take it off. 

Not it the best picture of mine but it gives you any idea of what mine is like for comparison to yours 

Maybe you could take it to a different jewelers to get it re plated and it might hold up better?

I dont actually know where its from but just wanted you to see the difference that its not necessarily  normal yours is that yellow especially since ive worn my every single day and ever took it off for 11 months 

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

Did you complain to them 2 months after buying the ring that it was starting to yellow? I hate to say that if you didn't complain at the time, they have no way of proving that it started yellowing that long ago, even if you have photos.

You can of course try but I think they are unlikely to offer to exchange it for you. I had a white gold ring some years ago and I had it replated so many times that the band actually snapped in the end because it was so weak.

Hi bella2015

i emailed customer services when it was 2 months in and didn't really get anywhere. They just confirmed that I could have it replated for free within 12 months so thought it best to leave it as long as possible...

Harriet85 wrote (see post):

I dont actually know where its from but just wanted you to see the difference that its not necessarily  normal yours is that yellow especially since ive worn my every single day and ever took it off for 11 months 

Thanks Harriet 😊

MrsKG17 wrote (see post):

Hi! I doubt that they would let you exchange considering the time that has past but if definitely seems like it has discoloured quite a lot. I have a very similar ring to yourself from ernest Jones, 18ct white gold and it's only the bottom that has discoloured and that's from 21months of wear and I never take it off. 

Not it the best picture of mine but it gives you any idea of what mine is like for comparison to yours 

Maybe you could take it to a different jewelers to get it re plated and it might hold up better?

Thanks, it's so helpful to see what other people's rings are looking like...and after what time..yours looks similar to mine but at double the length of time? I would t mind if it were only every 2-3 years it would need it, but quite honestly I could have had it done at 6 months!

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

Hi mines a Neil Lane through Ernest Jones so not sure if it's the same but after nine months it's not as yellow as yours after two.

Hope that helps.image

Helen225 wrote (see post):

Hi mines a Neil Lane through Ernest Jones so not sure if it's the same but after nine months it's not as yellow as yours after two.

Hope that helps.image

That helps so much, thank you Helen, I can use all of these to help bolster my case when I see them tomorrow. 

• Kitten2014Kitten2014 Posts: 1,489

I hope you have some success, but TBH, other than offering you the standard re-plating option that you are already aware of, I'm not sure how much more obligated they are do to anything.  While I'm sure we all believe you, you can't definitively prove that the ring hasn't been subject to something that caused it to yellow excessively- they don't know that you don't wash dishes for a living at a diner all day and use a bleach dip in the last cycle, with the ring on!  Beyond abuse, I've also read that a person's natural body chemistry can cause changes in the finish on their jewelry - so one lady wearing the same ring and taking the same precautions may have more yellowing than another lady doing the same.  The store can't be held responsible for these kinds of things, and probably doesn't have much leeway in what they can offer you.

I'm not a platinum/ palladium fan.  My previous wedding band was, and in under a year, it had developed a very distinct "patina," and it was immensely scratched. I would have needed to have taken it in for very regular buffings.  I went with white gold this time because it is much more durable. I'm ok with the little bit of yellowing that my ring ends up with and don't plan to re-plate it unless it's many years down the line and is really, really bad.  I think keeping the ring clean, especially the diamonds, makes it look sparkly, and that's what people notice...not the yellowing if you're a white gold girl or the patina if you're a platinum girl.

I was working a fayre with my OH a few weeks ago and saw a jewelry cleaner's booth. They cleaned my jewelry, and I was hooked. It's a two-step system and that most amazing stuff I've ever tried, and I had even bought a sonic jewelry cleaner that didn't work nearly as well. If you get no satisfaction from EJ, maybe just invest in a good cleaner.  This is the one I use: http://bestsolution.net/.  I even use it on sterling silver. It gets so much tarnish off the bands and makes the stones sparkle, my jewelry really looks like new. (I swear I'm just a customer.)

Good luck to you, hope it works out one way or another!

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,202

I dont know where mine is from either sorry! Apparently it is 9ct though, so maybe because it is stronger I am not sure if this makes a difference to the rate at which the colour wears off....

• I ran a Jewellers for 5 years (not Ernest Jones!) and would see this occasionnally. The ring isnt discolouring, it's just that the rhodium plating is wearing off fast. That doesnt mean there's a fault with the ring, it just means either you wear through plating fast (it varies person to person) or that there was an issue with the original plating. As they have already offered to re-rhodium it for free for you, I don't really think you will get anywhere? Best way to play it is to say you are very disappointed and that the fact the rhodium plating would wear off wasn't explained to your fiancé properly. If you make it a customer service issue rather than a product issue you may have a chance that they will let you upgrade to platinum.

I hope it gets sorted for you

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,331 New bride

H2B is a Metallurgist. He says there is a big difference between 9ct and 18ct gold- I don't think you said which yours is? The difference lies in the 'filler' materials used. 9ct gold is 37% solid gold, 18ct is 75%. Therefore a 9ct gold ring has more alloy materials in it, such as copper, nickel and zinc. The more 'filler' you have, the more prone to tarnishing and yellowing the ring is. However if more expensive filler materials like palladium are used, the gold itself is whiter, meaning it won't show through yellow. So he says as well as the carat you should be considering the alloy materials used which can vary greatly. Then there is the plating to consider- mine is rhodium, yours probably is too but the quality of this can very too.

He says platinum isn't a bad idea but 9ct platinum may not be much better. If you dont already have 18ct you'd be better off going for 18ct white gold or platinum. If you're already wearing 18ct and choose a new one then try and find out what is being used as the filler materials to get a ring less prone to yellowing.

Hope some of that makes sense! Tried to condense the 30 minute lecture on gold I was just given after asking h2b.

Ha ha!! Thank you Sammykat!

so we went to EJ today, explained that we were very disappointed that tge ring had gone so yellow so quickly. we spoke to the manager, and although she did say that it was normal, bearing in mind how careful she'd been with it it had gone very yellow. 

She offered us an upgrade to a platinum ring, we paid the extra (she also managed to give us an 18% discount after speaking with her area manager) so now I have a beautiful platinum ring with a sparkly certified tolkowsky diamond (so so shiny!!)...only downside is inhave to wait 7 weeks for delivery, so just about to buy a cheap silver zirconia to wear while I wait...

so happy and could t have wished for a better outcome!

Thank you all for your help and advice Just shows there's never any harm in asking for what you want, it was a year ago today that we bought our original ring. 

Ps she did also say when we go back for wedding rings, if we buy two platinum at the same time we can have a 20% discount, just worth bearing in mind if anyone is thinking of getting their wedding rings from EJ this is a standard discount...

May beautiful new ring, delivery due 1st June!! :)

• I'm happy you got yourself a new wedding ring!

I would just recommend that vintage wedding rings are really the best way to go. They are usually made with older methods and that makes them more sustainable and of better quality. There are so many beautiful designs out there!

As I've worked with wedding rings and planning for a long time I made a simple buying guide on my website tat many has found to be helpful :) http://myvintagewedding.com