Forum home General chat

Dress doubts less than 3 weeks to wedding

I'm due to get married on 7th October and went for my final dress fitting last week. 

The problem is Ive started to worry that my dress is too over the top for the venue. We are getting married at 'The Ashes Barns'. My dress is an A-line ball gown with quite a long train. For years I always imagined I would have a tulle wedding gown. I did try more fitted gowns, but because I'm a size 6 with a very small chest, they just didn't suit me. 

Do you think I'm just stressing pointlessly, or do you think this dress wouldn't fit into a barn wedding? 

• Gorgeous dress! I just searched your venue on Instagram and saw loads of brides in a variety of dresses - and all of them looked beautiful! I think your dress will look amazing in that setting, trailing behind you! I honestly don't think your dress will look over the top at all! 

You loved the dress on, and you will love it on the day. This is just pre wedding jitters, I'm sure! 

• TadpoleTadpole Posts: 2,134 New bride

I had a barn wedding and a very similar style of dress - you'll look amazing - it's a beautiful dress

xx

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

It's your wedding day - I don't really think you can be over the top! Wear what you love and makes you feel amazing.

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Gorgeous dress. I wouldn't worry about your dress matching your venue too much, no-one will notice and what is most important is that you love your dress. I am also wearing a ballgown in a barn  

My sister just got married and she wore a similar tulle and lace big ball gown with a train, in her 100% DIY garden party wedding which was 90% outside, and a marquee which we only used for dinner. It totally wasn't suitable for the style of wedding (I only know this as we had the same discussion) but she loved it and wore it with confidence and honestly no-one would have suggested that it didnt "match the venue" as all anyone cares about it that the bride and groom are happy. 

Enjoy your wedding 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for the advise everyone! I'm a very self conscious person who worries about what everyone else thinks! As much as I tell myself I shouldn't I can't seem to help it. I think the main thing is that if I love the dress, nobody else should matter. I don't think it helped that the room was tiny when I went for my fitting. Made it seem so much bigger! 

• Emily54Emily54 Posts: 266 New bride

Aww it's a stunning dress. I don't think you need to worry at all. 

Wishing you a very happy wedding day xx 

• Dora3Dora3 Posts: 1,218 New bride

Your dress is stunning! As long as you feel amazing that's all that matters. 

My dress is also a ball gown and although it matches my ceremony venue well it will be ridiculous in our evening venue... A pub 😂 But I love the dress so I'm just going to tock it in the pub... And pray no one stands on it 😂

• I wore a big dress for my barn wedding - you should definitely wear the dress you love and don't worry about it suiting the venue :) x

• If you love the dress that is all that matters. My wedding was this weekend and I have no idea if it suited the venue, but literally wouldnt have mattered. I felt incredible, I could have been in a cathedral or on a farm.